BattleStar Pegasus vs a Venator Star Destroyer...

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
mojo
Starship Captain

Re: BattleStar Pegasus vs a Venator Star Destroyer...

Post by mojo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:57 am

a perfect example is in 'traitor', that njo book. is it logical, does it make even the tiniest bit of sense that a single jedi could stop THOUSANDS of yuuzhan vong from getting past him through an archway? no, of course not. but HOLY FUCK THAT WAS COOL.

'bring on your thousands, one at a time or all at once. i don't give a damn. NONE SHALL PASS.'
-paraphrased

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:07 am

mojo wrote:a perfect example is in 'traitor', that njo book. is it logical, does it make even the tiniest bit of sense that a single jedi could stop THOUSANDS of yuuzhan vong from getting past him through an archway? no, of course not. but HOLY FUCK THAT WAS COOL.

'bring on your thousands, one at a time or all at once. i don't give a damn. NONE SHALL PASS.'
-paraphrased
How did that happen? I thought the YV had armour and weapons that quite made lightsabres not so awesome? Plus a variety of other weapons that would pin a Jedi down under a rain of homing darts and other insect like projectiles?
HOOOOW??????

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
mojo wrote:a perfect example is in 'traitor', that njo book. is it logical, does it make even the tiniest bit of sense that a single jedi could stop THOUSANDS of yuuzhan vong from getting past him through an archway? no, of course not. but HOLY FUCK THAT WAS COOL.

-paraphrased
How did that happen? I thought the YV had armour and weapons that quite made lightsabres not so awesome? Plus a variety of other weapons that would pin a Jedi down under a rain of homing darts and other insect like projectiles?
HOOOOW??????
Short answer: Because it was a Dramatic Death and Heroic Sacrifice, he got an extra helping of Force Powers.

And the Vong also suffered badly from villain decay over the series.

Mind, for EU Jedi power levels it's not all that much off. They have Luke bringing down AT-ATs with TK and that wankmonster Starkiller doing the same with Star Destroyers, after all. Or Kir Kanos killing off hundreds of Stormtroopers with his awesomely impractical glaive and ceremonial armor in Crimson Empire.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 am

sonofccn wrote:I have to concure, a single runabout I don't think can take on the entire fleet and win. She'll put up a fight and take more than her wieght class in blood but in the end she's going down. Now maybe if it was a Connie...:)
I doubt Battlestars can hit one and it should be able to bust up battlestars easily enough given what we've seen of them 120 or so granted it'd take awhile but its not exactly like they can really threaten one
mojo wrote:breetai for god's sake don't say you haven't read the thrawn books.

and imo the entire eu = rule of cool. i don't think it's any more or less of a mess than it ever has been. if it's a cool idea, it goes in. if it's boring or makes the jedi and sith look less cool, then regardless of logic or reason, it's out. and i have no problem with that.
I have Akbar is massively inflated in the thrawn series to be some hybrid of chester Nimitz and Isoroku Yamamoto to thrawns hasley/Nelson

both characters cheesed me off but I liked thrawn

the ICS and the more technical aspects of it aren't rule of cool they're rule of wank the golden age of the sith stuff is cool

Marka Ragnos and exar kun..bad asses

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 pm

General Donner wrote:Mind, for EU Jedi power levels it's not all that much off. They have Luke bringing down AT-ATs with TK and that wankmonster Starkiller doing the same with Star Destroyers, after all.
Although the Starkiller thing was absolute nonsense, Luke, the son of Anakin, managing to topple an AT-AT by focusing his Force powers on a leg or something is fine by me. AT-AT don't really need much of a lateral nudge to actually fall. Or making a foot get stuck in a hole is just as good to topple one.
Or Kir Kanos killing off hundreds of Stormtroopers with his awesomely impractical glaive and ceremonial armor in Crimson Empire.
At once? Or did he dispatch them by groups of two or three?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 pm

they also dropped a moon on chewbaccas face..and Lucas supposedly got really angry about that

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:01 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
General Donner wrote:Mind, for EU Jedi power levels it's not all that much off. They have Luke bringing down AT-ATs with TK and that wankmonster Starkiller doing the same with Star Destroyers, after all.
Although the Starkiller thing was absolute nonsense, Luke, the son of Anakin, managing to topple an AT-AT by focusing his Force powers on a leg or something is fine by me. AT-AT don't really need much of a lateral nudge to actually fall. Or making a foot get stuck in a hole is just as good to topple one.
The ISD was already falling when Marek started using the Force to move it. It had been hit by a junk cannon, and was falling into the atmosphere.