Galadriel and Fingolfin end up as hogwartz teachers

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Galadriel and Fingolfin end up as hogwartz teachers

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 pm

basically the high king of the Noldor in exile and the lady of Lothlorien are hired by the Valar to interfere on Potters behalf..and are brought in around the time of half blood prince Fingolfin becomes a magical history teacher and Galadriel becomes a second divinations professor

with two powerful elf lords backing up the heroes how do events change?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: Galadriel and Fingolfin end up as hogwartz teachers

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 pm

He kicks ass.

Just add Raistlin Majere as the defence against the dark arts teacher and its a win.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:He kicks ass.

Just add Raistlin Majere as the defence against the dark arts teacher and its a win.
Hhm, no.
Raistlin has as much ambition as Voldemort, but a shitload more power.
Nothing in the Potterverse can come close to matching Raistlin in power, not even Dumbledore with the Über wand...
So they're fracked, and Raistlin becomes the new Dark Lord of the Potterverse...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 pm

didn't Rais become a moon god or something? would he really settle for "dark lord"

I'm kinda interested in Voldy's attempts to mind rape Galadriel or Fingolfin

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Galadriel mind rapes him and makes him destroy his own Horcruxes and commit suicide.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Hhm, no.
Raistlin has as much ambition as Voldemort, but a shitload more power.
Nothing in the Potterverse can come close to matching Raistlin in power, not even Dumbledore with the Über wand...
So they're fracked, and Raistlin becomes the new Dark Lord of the Potterverse...
Fair comment he would likely do that, although he may help potter skill up so potter can have a chance to take out voldermort first as Raistlin had a rather peculiar sense of justice and a thing for the under dog, and the Voldi/Potter thing make strike a note in him in regards to Fisty and himself during and after the test.

After that he decides to take over things and does so with ease i agree.

Admiral Breetai wrote:didn't Rais become a moon god or something? would he really settle for "dark lord"
At one point and timeline in the twins series he became the ONLY god in the Krynnverse as he killed all the rest..:).

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Raistlin Majere is so far above any Potterverse wizard, it's not even funny.
You would need to replace Dumbledore with Elminster to make things even (ok, a bit stronger on the good side, but it's ok)...

If Raistlin has no Elminster-like counter, than he wins and defeats anyone, while helping Harry and grooming him to become the ruler of the human wizard world, while Raistlin becomes a God... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Raistlin Majere is so far above any Potterverse wizard, it's not even funny.
You would need to replace Dumbledore with Elminster to make things even (ok, a bit stronger on the good side, but it's ok)...

If Raistlin has no Elminster-like counter, than he wins and defeats anyone, while helping Harry and grooming him to become the ruler of the human wizard world, while Raistlin becomes a God... :)
I always put raistlin as more powerful and certainly more deadly than Eli if they were both at their most powerful (pre-god raistlin obviously) but apart from that i agree with the rest.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Elminster is a notch above Raistlin in power.
The setting of Dragonlance has always been underpowered compared to Forgotten Realms.
While Tiamat, the goddess Raistlin beat, is one of the more powerful Gods of Krynn (Dragonlance), it is barely a minor goddess in Forgotten Realms:
In the Dragonlance campaign setting, Tiamat's equivalent is Takhisis[26], the Dark Queen. In most settings, Tiamat is somewhat minor; in Dragonlance, she is a major figure in the mythology and history of the world.
Elminster is a chosen of Mystra, Forgotten Realm's incarnation of Magic.
While Raistlin is powerful, he is not Elminster, and would not defeat him...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Elminster is a notch above Raistlin in power.
The setting of Dragonlance has always been underpowered compared to Forgotten Realms.
While Tiamat, the goddess Raistlin beat, is one of the more powerful Gods of Krynn (Dragonlance), it is barely a minor goddess in Forgotten Realms:
In the Dragonlance campaign setting, Tiamat's equivalent is Takhisis[26], the Dark Queen. In most settings, Tiamat is somewhat minor; in Dragonlance, she is a major figure in the mythology and history of the world.
Elminster is a chosen of Mystra, Forgotten Realm's incarnation of Magic.
While Raistlin is powerful, he is not Elminster, and would not defeat him...
Tiamat is the dragon goddess in FR, Takhisis is a greater god and head of the evil panthion on DL the comparison to Tiamat is only superficial as it is one of her avatars (the one she uses mostly for dragons).

In fact Tracy Hickman Takhisis creator has clearly stated that they are not the same Deity.

In regards to levels of power Raistlin took the knowledge and power of Fistandantlus who from the time frames available was already a powerful black robe and agent of the conclave during the time Gadrella of Tarsis was Highmage (so pre 2424 PC) and prior to that a Red robe. This means he was essentially training, learning and building up his power for a minimum of 2500 years and most of that time doing so in order to defeat a higher diety and head of the evil pantheon.

There is also material to support the fact that Raistlin doubled up on the power he took in "Dragons of a hourglass mage" that tells the story of what happened Raistlin during the events of "Dragons of spring dawning". At this point in time and towards the end of the book Fisty is a lich and Raistlin drains him of his powers with the bloodstone and gains the power we read about him using at the end of "Dragons of spring dawning" when his power is so great he scares off the most powerful black robes of that era.

We know next that he moves into the tower to continue his studies, goes back in time and drains a living Fisty of his power and then we have the events in the rest of the twins saga.

In regards to Raistlins powers at his (pre-god) most powerful it is clearly commented upon and mentioned that after he has ditched the cleric and then challenges Takhisis he has to fight his way back to the gate past all her very best abyssal minions and armies, this he does although he was down to the last of his str and wounded afterwards.

So while on average the levels of spell casters seem higher in FR than DL (Although it has been noted that in FR multiple magic missiles can hit low level creatures and just wound them while in DL a single missile casted by a mage just passed his test splits large fence posts down the middle and causes them to burst into flames) the fact remains that Raistlins powers, abilities and achievements far surpass any examples we have from FR mages and that includes the likes of Larloch ect.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Except in one FR novel, Elminster absorbed the macigal energies of an Artifact so powerful that, when he heard about it, AO (the overgod of Gods in FR) offered Elminster to become a God.
Elminster refused...
Maybe at his most powerful, Raistlin is more powerful than Elminster, but at his most powerful, Raistlin's goal was to become the God in Krynn, and so would most likely not bother with the "muggle" world or HP wizards.
But prior to using the bloodstone to obtain Fistandantilus's powers?
Nope, not by a longshot.
One issue of Dragon magazine had stories about Elminster, Mordenkainen and Dalamar, Raistlin's apprenctice, talking and exchanging spells.
At one time, Dalamar mentioned how powerful Fistandantilus had become.
Elminster's response?
"Oh, he came here once, thinking he could show us he was the most powerful mage there was."
"And what happened" asked Dalamar.
"I showed him it was best for him never to come back", said Elminster.
So beating Fistandantilus is not that tough for the high-level FR mages...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Except in one FR novel, Elminster absorbed the macigal energies of an Artifact so powerful that, when he heard about it, AO (the overgod of Gods in FR) offered Elminster to become a God.
Elminster refused...
That was in a trilogy around the time of troubles and the artifact was not really that powerful it was just a nasty creation by a red wizard nor was it the reason or anything at all to do with why Ao mentioned making him the God of magic.

Maybe at his most powerful, Raistlin is more powerful than Elminster, but at his most powerful, Raistlin's goal was to become the God in Krynn, and so would most likely not bother with the "muggle" world or HP wizards.
But prior to using the bloodstone to obtain Fistandantilus's powers?
Nope, not by a longshot.
That is a bit like removing all the benifits that Eli got from Mystra like longevity so he could learn and gain power ect, Raistlin at his most poweful was prior to entering the Abyss or just after confronting her in the Abyss and Eli was his most powerful likely just prior to the spell plague.

At the end of the first trilogy when raistlin took over the tower in palanthalas he was so powerful that the entire conclave of wizards on Krynn white, red and black put together would not dare challenge him even though he was a renegade.
One issue of Dragon magazine had stories about Elminster, Mordenkainen and Dalamar, Raistlin's apprenctice, talking and exchanging spells.
At one time, Dalamar mentioned how powerful Fistandantilus had become.
Elminster's response?
"Oh, he came here once, thinking he could show us he was the most powerful mage there was."
"And what happened" asked Dalamar.
"I showed him it was best for him never to come back", said Elminster.
So beating Fistandantilus is not that tough for the high-level FR mages...
I recall the "wizards three series" one i recall like that did not mention Fisty but involved the Simbul turning up and Eli warning Dalamar to sit still and not piss her off and that she and others were more powerful than most tower mages or normal masters of the towers in FR (one or the other i cannot remember the exact words).

Mordenkainen mentions in one that Fisty at one point after he gained the bloodstone was draining lives on Greyhawk and Dalamar mentions:

"“His life-stealing,
yes —but I never heard he'’d journeyed beyond Krynn . . .except, a few times, to
the Outer Planes"

Mordenkainen comments that their meeting was not pleasant although both obviously survived and we have no idea how old or powerful each was, in Fistys case he was mortal up until he got the bloodstone so it could be early or late in his life that was over 2500 and upto 2800 years long.

The "I showed him it was best for him never to come back" comment was made by Mordenkainen in regards to that event and not Eliminster who comments on how he once cast a dragons breath spell at Fisty and trades it with Dalamar during the meeting.

It should also be noted that at the initial meeting Dalamar and Mordenkainen do not get on very well initially and the observer notes that he is not sure who is the more powerful of the two and that both think they would win. There must be some sort of time travel spell involved in the meeting considering this info as Mordenkainen is only 82 and as such would be way too young to have met Fisty in the first place. Dalamar was born over 300 years after fisty died so the time lines are all skewed.

Do not misunderstand me Eli, Mordenkainen, Telamont Tanthul, Larloch, Amlauril, Oysar Shoon VII, Iolaum, Shrinshee, Ghiz'kith-Sarrukh are all bad ass motherfuckers with Larloch and Ghiz'kith-Sarrukh probably on the top of the heap but at best they are around demigod level.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the correction, it has been a long time.
Though I am pretty sure the object Elminster absorbed was very powerful...

And as I said:
And franckly, none of the high mages in Krynn really ever seemed that powerful, so even the fact that the enclave didn't want to go after Raistlin doesn't mean they would go after Elminster.
They could have simply known that, even if they won, they would incur huge losses...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Thanks for the correction, it has been a long time.
Though I am pretty sure the object Elminster absorbed was very powerful...
It created a giant flying mist/smoke like creature that was linked to the wizard so he could control and cast spells through it, it even allowed metamagic like dual spell casting ect, so no it was not a insignificant artifact at all as he was forced to actually fly inside it using his magic flying underpants and rip out the artifact in the middle.

As he gets back to his tower Ao is sitting with his feet up on the table drinking his best wine and Eli shows him the ruined undies and says "look still clean"....:).
And franckly, none of the high mages in Krynn really ever seemed that powerful, so even the fact that the enclave didn't want to go after Raistlin doesn't mean they would go after Elminster.
They could have simply known that, even if they won, they would incur huge losses...
One of the issues with DL book is that the dragons and twins trilogies did not have the same sort of examples of spell battle that some of the FR book do. Ok we have Raistlin defeating a entire level of the abyss getting told to us but it is not described in detail at all, not even a portion of it (a thing i could cry myself to sleep over tbh as i would love a few details of that told by a pro-writer). But then those books are actually written during a time that magic users were persicuted and those using it did so subtly and in secret.

If you move away from those 6 books and read stuff from the age of dreams or even other eras and unrelated occurrences you get some awsome feats that easily equal to those in FR.

Battle magic cast by a archmage that literally freezes two warring armies of magic resistant dwarfs into blocks of ice for a few hundred years (they are discovered and thawed out by mistake...by a kender obviously).

The "Defenders of Magic" trilogy showed us plenty of typical FR level magic cast by several apprentices who had just passed the test and were being taught by different archmages (Justarius is in those book and gets fleshed out a bit, it also explains how he becomes head of the Read robes) and a few higher powered spells.

In "Dragons of summer flame" we see that one of Magius's most powerful battle spells is capable of effecting and doing harm to Chaos (in DL chaos and the highgod are like Ao and what ever is his oposite number in evil).

Another book has a City avoiding war by getting its archmage to transport it into a cavern under the surface of the planet, it may have been one with Riverwind in telling the story of how he first stole the staff but im not certain.

It has been a while since i have read through all the books as i was very into DL and FR books about 20 years ago and while FR books tend to show spell battles a lot more regularly if you pick the right books or trilogies it is pretty clear that the mages in DL are tossing around the same spells at the same sort of experiance levels as their counter parts.

Although in DL the really powerful mages tend to cast spells that effect entire continents or just blast battling armies more than indulge in the smaller spell battles we see Eli kick ass in regularly (not that he cannot do the same obviously because he could).

Then finally you have the comparison between the Netherese cities made from flying mountains and the citadels in DL that are also flying mountains. Admittedly Mystra forbade the ability to make more of them in the realms after Karsus screwed things up but now she is dead i suppose anybody with the power and knowledge can make them again along with casting other magic she disalowed.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh it is a shadowy construct the artifact creates that does what i said, VERY large and it is Ao who absorbs the artifact not Eli.

Shadows of the Avatar 2 - cloak of shadows.

"By my will, mortal mage," said a voice from close by. Elminster turned and saw a man whose hair and beard were whiter than his own, whose face was unremarkable, but whose eyes and robes were both a dark swirl of stars, so that he seemed to be the heart of the Flame Void.
Elminster sighed. "And who, sir, are ye?" he asked mildly.
"Some men call me the Overgod ... others, the Hidden One." "Ao," Elminster named him, leaning forward with interest. "I've much to ask ye—"
The Overgod frowned. "I am not here to give ye answers, presumptuous mortal. Ye have tried to hasten the elevation to full powers of my choice for Mystra's replacement, and take her from Faerun!"
"Magic goes wild across the lands," Elminster said sternly, "and I would restore as much peace and order as I can. 'Tis bad enough for the common folk, what ye've wrought, with hordes and brigands and avatars on the loose, earthquakes and eruptions and typhoons and all. For magic to be stable again, we must needs have a Goddess of Magic. Must I point such an obvious thing out to ye? I sought to take her to my Safehold, to sit and think . . . and learn. Rare for a god, I know, but long overdu—"
"Such temerity!" Ao thundered.
"Is the way of mankind," Elminster replied gently, spreading his hands. "Have ye not seen this?"
Ao sighed, and then chuckled. "Enough. So you meant well. So have many tyrants—and gods—before working their worst."
He raised a hand to point at Elminster and said in a voice of doom, "Midnight I am returning to Faerun. She will forget what you gave to her, for a time. You I charge never to speak of this, or what she will become, until the Testing is done. And to keep you busy, oh most energetic of mages, I send you to deal with—this!"

"Thay?" Elminster said in disgust. "The Land of Mad Mages? If Ao's sent me here, it must be to deal with some idiot mage who's trying to make himself a god, or set up some particularly nasty doom for all of us under cover of all these Troubles. Ah, blast all gods and their Overgods, too!"
And then something rose up through the clouds and stretched out shadowy arms to claim him.
Elminster saw how many miles its arms spanned, and swallowed. As he felt for his least powerful means of flight, he said through his teeth, "Allfather Ao, if I live through this little affray, ye and I will be having words!"
And then the shadowy figure howled, and from its mouth leapt ravening magics to claim him. Ah. Of course. Two spells at once, to his one. Just another little job for Elminster.
The Old Mage snarled and selected the best spells he could think of, under the circumstances. And then the shadowy hands closed in around him
And then the shadowy figure howled, and from its mouth leapt ravening magics to claim him. Ah. Of course. Two spells at once, to his one. Just another little job for Elminster.
The Old Mage snarled and selected the best spells he could think of, under the circumstances. And then the shadowy hands closed in around him

Elminster caught only glimpses of the stars over Thay as shadowy death loomed around him, blotting them out. The smoky clouds of dense gloom were alive and reaching for him. As he frowned and willed his magical undergarments to let him descend at a slightly less precipitous rate, he wondered just what this giant was, who'd created it... and why.
Just once, 'twould be nice to know.

Ao absorbs the artifact.

The softly glowing globe that usually hung above the table in the center of the octagonal room had drifted over to one side, to hang helpfully over the shoulder of the white-bearded man lounging in Elminster's best chair, his feet up on the edge of one of the many crammed bookshelves that lined the room. A small array of wine bottles and half-empty tallglasses hung in the air around him, his rarest and best wines.
Elminster hated uninvited guests, but his expression did not change as his eyes flickered over the scene. He stepped forward with a twinkle in the depths of his old blue-gray eyes.
"You wanted this dealt with, sir?" the Old Mage asked in the calm, cultured tones of a servant as he set the scepter in his hand gently on the table in front of the Overgod. His tone was innocent, but the words hung in the air as firmly as any challenge.
Ao raised calm eyes to meet his but said nothing. Challenge answered.
Elminster met those dark, star-filled eyes steadily and laid the torn remnants of his undervest and clout beside the scepter. "See? Clean," he announced calmly, and waved a hand.
A second chair melted out of the air in silent obedience, and El sat down, swinging his own feet up to the table.
Ao glanced at the scepter, and it disappeared. His eyes flickered for a moment as he considered the implications of the powers he'd just absorbed. Then he raised his eyebrows and his glass together. "Perhaps you should be the god of all magic in Faerun."
El put his hands behind his head and frowned. "What? Would ye ruin my life and my usefulness both at once?"
Ao regarded him thoughtfully for a moment and then nodded. "You're right... all too often, Elminster Aumar. Try to stay out of the grievous sort of trouble that beset the gods of your world. I'd not want to have to return here to destroy you."
He held out a hand, and after a long moment Elminster took it—to find himself shaking only empty air.
The Old Mage collapsed into a chair, noticing his wines were all back on their shelf, stoppered and arranged as he'd last left them. "Foosh!" he said in shocked tones. "A 'be a good boy' lecture and half my wine gone! I don't think I can afford to entertain Overgods!"