The Invasion of the b 5 Galaxy

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

The Invasion of the b 5 Galaxy

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 am

The Galactic Empire finds a wormhole into the Babylon 5 Galaxy say around the time of the Dilgar War and begins mapping out hyperlanes and trading tech with some of the smaller species out there. They get a foot hold in the unknown regions

The Shadows and Vorlons find out about this around the time of the first season of B5 and decide "screw the great game" when they feel the powers of the force

six months before the battle of Endor..the GE launches a full scale invasion of the milky way Galaxy...The Narn Centuari EA LON and Minbari have agreed to set aside issues to fight this new foe...the shadows will be fighting and manipulating either side 'what do you want" will be asked of Darth sidious..

The Vorlons contact Luke and the Rebellion as well as aid..the "army of light" openly

can the GE succeed? or force a stalemate? or will they fail

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: The Invasion of the b 5 Galaxy

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:The Galactic Empire finds a wormhole into the Babylon 5 Galaxy say around the time of the Dilgar War and begins mapping out hyperlanes and trading tech with some of the smaller species out there. They get a foot hold in the unknown regions

The Shadows and Vorlons find out about this around the time of the first season of B5 and decide "screw the great game" when they feel the powers of the force

six months before the battle of Endor..the GE launches a full scale invasion of the milky way Galaxy...The Narn Centuari EA LON and Minbari have agreed to set aside issues to fight this new foe...the shadows will be fighting and manipulating either side 'what do you want" will be asked of Darth sidious..

The Vorlons contact Luke and the Rebellion as well as aid..the "army of light" openly

can the GE succeed? or force a stalemate? or will they fail
Are the Vorlons and Shadows working together, or just towards the same goal without the other knowing what the other is doing?

Are we counting the wanked out B5 EU first ones who have little to no resemblance to the first ones seen in the series?

What does a full scale invasion entail? As things are in Star Wars the Empire's military was badly under staffed in canon.

Unless the younger races on the B5 side gets shields, better reactors, and possibly hyperdrives or they will be at a major disadvantage in fair fight when it comes to capital ships. Ramming is likely the easiest way the B5 young races can win a battle. >_<

The Empire has likely made vast improvements to it's military's ground tactics and strategy given they should have been researching the various militaries in B5. B5 has some reasonably competent ground forces, and sane vehicle designs.

I'm sure the Vorlons and Shadows could easily make the rebels telepaths with telekinetic powers who could easily fake being Force users

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Lucky wrote:[

Are the Vorlons and Shadows working together, or just towards the same goal without the other knowing what the other is doing?
they know they are working towards the same goals but will not be working together
Are we counting the wanked out B5 EU first ones who have little to no resemblance to the first ones seen in the series?
absolutely not
What does a full scale invasion entail? As things are in Star Wars the Empire's military was badly under staffed in canon.
as many ships and troops they can throw at the galaxy
[
Unless the younger races on the B5 side gets shields, better reactors, and possibly hyperdrives or they will be at a major disadvantage in fair fight when it comes to capital ships. Ramming is likely the easiest way the B5 young races can win a battle. >_<
the big three should be able to do damage providing their ships aren't hit The minbari humans and centuari that is
The Empire has likely made vast improvements to it's military's ground tactics and strategy given they should have been researching the various militaries in B5. B5 has some reasonably competent ground forces, and sane vehicle designs.
tech trading is a possibility
Lucky wrote:[I'm sure the Vorlons and Shadows could easily make the rebels telepaths with telekinetic powers who could easily fake being Force users
The shadows wouldn't but they'd be fighting openly against the emps..the vorlons would likely provide tech boosts and shit..but not directly act unless the imps really cheese them off

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote: they know they are working towards the same goals but will not be working together
I would think they would want to keep from stepping on each other's toes figuratively speaking. Having at least a general idea as to what the other is doing is a must.
Admiral Breetai wrote: absolutely not
Then their largest standard ships need some upgrades like shields that can be on while using weapons.
Admiral Breetai wrote: as many ships and troops they can throw at the galaxy
Then the Empire lacks the ships and manpower to send anyone. They couldn't put down Dac. so I doubt they can muster the forces needed to invade the B5 galaxy.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dac
Admiral Breetai wrote: the big three should be able to do damage providing their ships aren't hit The minbari humans and centuari that is
The problem is a Venator can vaporize a small town. That's going to mean high kiloton to megaton level firepower in each shot, and that is more then enough to kill any younger race's ship, and all Star Wars ships are designed to take this kind of firepower.

B5 ships are also slower.
Admiral Breetai wrote: tech trading is a possibility
The Star wars side just has to read a few books on Earth military history, and get an overview of modern tank design to improve by leaps and bounds.

Walkers tend to be bad ideas except in very specific situations as i understand it.
Admiral Breetai wrote: The shadows wouldn't but they'd be fighting openly against the emps..the vorlons would likely provide tech boosts and shit..but not directly act unless the imps really cheese them off
Giving the Rebellion the tech to make super-soldiers is one of the best ways the Vorlons and Shadows can help the rebellion.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Then their largest standard ships need some upgrades like shields that can be on while using weapons.
Minbari ships suffer from glass jaws literally since they're crystal based but the EA Narn and to a lesser extent the Centauri..have much tougher vessels
Then the Empire lacks the ships and manpower to send anyone. They couldn't put down Dac. so I doubt they can muster the forces needed to invade the B5 galaxy.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dac
true but they managed to assembled the Endor force and the task force for the invasion of Hoth
The problem is a Venator can vaporize a small town. That's going to mean high kiloton to megaton level firepower in each shot, and that is more then enough to kill any younger race's ship, and all Star Wars ships are designed to take this kind of firepower.]
EA vessels and other races should be able to handle..repeated but not constant shots from such ships..Minbari do have more powerful guns then armor so
Lucky wrote:[B5 ships are also slower.
depends on the Race Vorchans are by by no ones standard slow

generally though true..but they have better range
The Star wars side just has to read a few books on Earth military history, and get an overview of modern tank design to improve by leaps and bounds.
EA is gonna be an enemy..but I'd imagine smaller "hungry" powers helping the empire out
Walkers tend to be bad ideas except in very specific situations as i understand it.
Gundams are more practical then walkers and they aren't very practical at al
Lucky wrote:[ Giving the Rebellion the tech to make super-soldiers is one of the best ways the Vorlons and Shadows can help the rebellion.
they may build mon cal whitestars..but I don't think they'd do that

then again a god damn mon cal cruiser backed up by Vorlon organic armor/gravitic shields and a few singularity drives to power her...would be sick

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 am

BEARS
BEETS
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:05 am

Admiral Breetai wrote: Minbari ships suffer from glass jaws literally since they're crystal based but the EA Narn and to a lesser extent the Centauri..have much tougher vessels
B5's main problem when facing a group like Star Wars or Star Trek is B5 younger races and likely even first ones is they don't have super materials to armor their ships.
Admiral Breetai wrote: true but they managed to assembled the Endor force and the task force for the invasion of Hoth
The Empire is going to need more ships in the milky-way then was in those seemingly short lived fleets for a long time, and it just can't afford that as per canon for a number of reasons even if it makes no sense. The Republic couldn't afford 5,000,000 more clones, and the Empire couldn't put down Dac even though it was openly rebellious, the main supplier of ships to the Rebel alliance, and had something like the third largest ship yards in the GFFA as I recall.. Why the Republic , CIS, and Empire have such shortages of man power and resources I can't understand, but it's canon.
Admiral Breetai wrote: EA vessels and other races should be able to handle..repeated but not constant shots from such ships..Minbari do have more powerful guns then armor so
The problem is the younger races will be taking major damage from each hit, but the Star Wars forces would be protected by shields, and possibly more firepower as most sources say Imperial Star Destroyers are more powerful then their clone wars counter parts. Given ISD are larger the idea makes a certain amount of sense just from the fact they would have more room for reactors.
Admiral Breetai wrote: depends on the Race Vorchans are by by no ones standard slow

generally though true..but they have better range
Keep in mind that both series have about similar accuracy except the Minbari and the first ones..
Admiral Breetai wrote: EA is gonna be an enemy..but I'd imagine smaller "hungry" powers helping the empire out
The problem is the smaller powers are each only control something like 7 systems each with the EA have something like a whopping 10 or so. The smaller powers are like one system, and that kind of limits what help they can give.
Admiral Breetai wrote: Gundams are more practical then walkers and they aren't very practical at al
There are walkers used in the real world for various reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFq ... r_embedded
Admiral Breetai wrote: they may build mon cal whitestars..but I don't think they'd do that

then again a god damn mon cal cruiser backed up by Vorlon organic armor/gravitic shields and a few singularity drives to power her...would be sick
I'm not sure those would be an improvement over what they already have in Star Wars.

A Star wars version of this would be neat, but I doubt the Vorlons would do it:
http://efni.org/Titans.htm

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 pm

I would hesitate before saying that SW ships are more durable than B5 ships, even with shields. The only time I can think of where a ships shields seemed to save a ship would be from ep I where anikins fighter protected it from infantry fire. As for 'super materials' in SW armor, we have TIEs in ANH only managing to destroy rebel x-wings and y-wings after repeated shots to their unshielded rears. It might be tempting to chalk this up to armor, but we also see what damage TIE guns are capable of doing when they hit the presumably unarmored R2-D2. Not really a show of strength on the part of rebel armor, but it certainly seems to indicate that fighter mounted weapons are pretty weak. Fact of the matter is, we never really get much in the way of indication that SW armor or weapons are any stronger then B5, and with the exception of the death stars, they could quite possibly be weaker then their b5 counterparts.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Aurochs wrote:I would hesitate before saying that SW ships are more durable than B5 ships, even with shields. The only time I can think of where a ships shields seemed to save a ship would be from ep I where anikins fighter protected it from infantry fire. As for 'super materials' in SW armor, we have TIEs in ANH only managing to destroy rebel x-wings and y-wings after repeated shots to their unshielded rears. It might be tempting to chalk this up to armor, but we also see what damage TIE guns are capable of doing when they hit the presumably unarmored R2-D2. Not really a show of strength on the part of rebel armor, but it certainly seems to indicate that fighter mounted weapons are pretty weak. Fact of the matter is, we never really get much in the way of indication that SW armor or weapons are any stronger then B5, and with the exception of the death stars, they could quite possibly be weaker then their b5 counterparts.
When it comes to fighter most Sci-Fi tend to be ruffly equal. A TIE should be able to shoot down a Star Fury, and the reverse should be true.

It's when you start looking at the bigger ships that things start to get interesting. Star Wars during the clone war era was firing turbolasers bolt in the high kiloton to low megaton range as per one of the novelization, and they pound on each other for a while like that, and there are a number of sources that say Star Destroyers of the Imperial era are more powerful.

B5 on the other hand considers 2 megaton bombs to be high end anti-capship weapons, but unlike Star Wars, one or two of these will really give them a bad day(some groups more then others).

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Can you point out at what time those two megaton bombs were stated to be anything other then a weapon of last resort in that episode? That is the only time when we see Earthforce ships use those 2-megaton weapons is in that battle, presumably because point defense is so good on earthforce ships. At any rate, the visuals do not match the dialogue-as has been pointed out before, pressure waves do not form in a vacuum since there is no atmosphere, and it is as bad science to have such an effect in B5 as it was to have Jango Fetts Sonic mines work the way they did in SW. You have to accept that the writers didn't know what they were doing when they included those segments and that the weapons just did what they did. Alternative pseudo-science explanations are pretty much the only things we have to go on here, since there is no way either weapon would work that way in real life.

As for the firepower figures on the SW ships, how do you know that SW ships are so much more powerful and better armored then their B5 counterparts? We see that Imperial ground armor crumples from logs, capital ships get destroyed from impacts from fighters and asteroids, and TIE weaponry takes repeated blasts to unshielded x-wings and y-wings to destroy them. Meanwhile in B5 ships get cut in half by beam weapons on a regular basis, and fighters display firepower at least equal to if not greater than TIEs, with far greater maneuverability. Saying that a TIE would be the equal of any B5 fighter excepting perhaps a sentri or delta wing is not paying attention to on-screen evidence.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:08 am

Aurochs wrote: Can you point out at what time those two megaton bombs were stated to be anything other then a weapon of last resort in that episode? That is the only time when we see Earthforce ships use those 2-megaton weapons is in that battle,
They aren't going to carry weapons with yield to low to damage the enemy
Aurochs wrote: presumably because point defense is so good on earthforce ships.
Point defense isn't very good in B5 in general from what I recall
Aurochs wrote: At any rate, the visuals do not match the dialogue-as has been pointed out before, pressure waves do not form in a vacuum since there is no atmosphere, and it is as bad science to have such an effect in B5 as it was to have Jango Fetts Sonic mines work the way they did in SW. You have to accept that the writers didn't know what they were doing when they included those segments and that the weapons just did what they did. Alternative pseudo-science explanations are pretty much the only things we have to go on here, since there is no way either weapon would work that way in real life.
There is no reason to doubt they used nukes with a yield of two megatons do to the sources being credible.

I don't recall ever seeing the Black Star's destruction? "In the Beginning" is just a story being told to little kids from an old mans memory.

Jango's weapons are for all practical purposes magic. There is a very good reason why Star Wars is considered soft sci-fi.
Aurochs wrote: As for the firepower figures on the SW ships, how do you know that SW ships are so much more powerful and better armored then their B5 counterparts?
http://web.archive.org/web/200709290402 ... onthe.net/
http://st-v-sw.net/STSWvapetown.html
[quote="  [ "X-Wing: Isard's Revenge" p.7 ]"] "     Two New Republic Assault Frigates, the Tyrant's Bane and Liberty Star, cruised in toward the Golan station.  Though each ship was less than a third as long as the station, they bristled with fifty laser cannons and poured terajoules of coherent light into the Golan." [/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent
Aurochs wrote: We see that Imperial ground armor crumples from logs,
The AT-ST is probably the most pathetic armored vehicle in Sci-fi, but most Star Wars vehicles are much better even if just about every Star Wars vehicle of any sort seems to have at least one glaring flaw.
Aurochs wrote: capital ships get destroyed from impacts from fighters and asteroids,
Repeated hits from asteroids you mean. I'm not sure why they don't use something like rail guns for anti-capital work.

What fighters are you talking about?
Aurochs wrote: and TIE weaponry takes repeated blasts to unshielded x-wings and y-wings to destroy them. Meanwhile in B5 ships get cut in half by beam weapons on a regular basis, and fighters display firepower at least equal to if not greater than TIEs,
As I understand it both groups use similar materials to make fighters.
Aurochs wrote: with far greater maneuverability.
And where is the proof of this?
Aurochs wrote: Saying that a TIE would be the equal of any B5 fighter excepting perhaps a sentri or delta wing is not paying attention to on-screen evidence.
I seem to recall the sentri being the equal or better to the lowly star fury, and Star furies rarely being used to the best of their potential.

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Lucky wrote:They aren't going to carry weapons with yield to low to damage the enemy
Fact; we never see them use 2 megaton bombs or missiles in any sort of offensive manner at any other point in the series. It's fairly safe to say that there would be a reason for them doing so. It could be that they don't use them because they are so powerful they could endanger allied ships in large fleet battles, we have no way of knowing besides guesswork.
Lucky wrote:Point defense isn't very good in B5 in general from what I recall
I have no idea what would make you think this. B5 ships with pulse weapons routinely use them to shoot down enemy fire as well as fighters, including other pulse weaponry. At what point does SW demonstrate ANY ability to intercept incoming fire?
Lucky wrote:There is no reason to doubt they used nukes with a yield of two megatons do to the sources being credible.

I don't recall ever seeing the Black Star's destruction? "In the Beginning" is just a story being told to little kids from an old mans memory.

Jango's weapons are for all practical purposes magic. There is a very good reason why Star Wars is considered soft sci-fi.
We have an on-screen depiction of what the nukes did , are you denying that this ever occurred? My argument was that this was a depiction of soft sci-fi, even if it was a 'magic' two megaton nuke, we cannot ignore that the B5 universe's 'nukes' posses demonstrated shockwaves in vacuum, and that they can do considerably more damage then should be normal. Short answer: Yes, it is magic, but we have to let it float because nukes are consistently depicted in B5 in such a way, and not in any manner superficial to the plot.
So kilotons per second for an omega class' beam weapons (low end estimates), based upon a series of assumptions on the composition and thickness of the armor versus.....what? Do we actually even have any on-screen evidence showing anything higher for turbloasers? The novelizations are describing a weapon that was never seen to be used during either trilogy.
Lucky wrote: [ "X-Wing: Isard's Revenge" p.7 ] wrote:
" Two New Republic Assault Frigates, the Tyrant's Bane and Liberty Star, cruised in toward the Golan station. Though each ship was less than a third as long as the station, they bristled with fifty laser cannons and poured terajoules of coherent light into the Golan."
"Are we counting the wanked out B5 EU first ones who have little to no resemblance to the first ones seen in the series?"

"Are we counting the wanked out SW EU Empire who have little to no resemblance to the Empire seen in the Trilogies?"
Lucky wrote:The AT-ST is probably the most pathetic armored vehicle in Sci-fi, but most Star Wars vehicles are much better even if just about every Star Wars vehicle of any sort seems to have at least one glaring flaw.
SW ground vehicles in general seem to be pretty awful, but why would we think that they use weaker armor then what is available to starships? Fighters seem to be at a similar disadvantage-they don't seem to have terribly resilient armor either.
Lucky wrote:Repeated hits from asteroids you mean. I'm not sure why they don't use something like rail guns for anti-capital work.

What fighters are you talking about?
The A-wing that crashes into the executor and destroys the entire command bridge.
Lucky wrote:And where is the proof of this?
Lucky wrote:I seem to recall the sentri being the equal or better to the lowly star fury, and Star furies rarely being used to the best of their potential.
Starfuries routinely perform 180 degree spins while still maintaining speed in order to fire on ships behind them. This is beyond the capabilities of ANY fighter we have seen in SW, TIE or otherwise. Sentris are more maneuverable then most Younger Race fighters, but even they are not that maneuverable.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 am

Aurochs wrote: Fact; we never see them use 2 megaton bombs or missiles in any sort of offensive manner at any other point in the series. It's fairly safe to say that there would be a reason for them doing so. It could be that they don't use them because they are so powerful they could endanger allied ships in large fleet battles, we have no way of knowing besides guesswork.
That would mean the hulls of B5 ships are rather weak in general if just having a 2 megaton bomb go off at range would be dangerous. There is a reason Minbari hulls are considered a joke. The farther you are from an explosion the less energy you will receive.

If 2 megaton weapons are considered strategic then that speaks poorly of their tactical weapons which would likely be weaker.
Aurochs wrote:I have no idea what would make you think this. B5 ships with pulse weapons routinely use them to shoot down enemy fire as well as fighters, including other pulse weaponry. At what point does SW demonstrate ANY ability to intercept incoming fire?
The fact that fragile and slow fighters are used the way they are is proof the point defense isn't all that. B5 fighters have to close to very short ranges to be effective when facing cap ships. B5 uses very similar tactics to Star Wars remember.
Aurochs wrote: We have an on-screen depiction of what the nukes did , are you denying that this ever occurred? My argument was that this was a depiction of soft sci-fi, even if it was a 'magic' two megaton nuke, we cannot ignore that the B5 universe's 'nukes' posses demonstrated shockwaves in vacuum, and that they can do considerably more damage then should be normal. Short answer: Yes, it is magic, but we have to let it float because nukes are consistently depicted in B5 in such a way, and not in any manner superficial to the plot.
Why are you responding as if the three separate points are one?

We have no reason to doubt the guy who blew up the Black Star and company. We have reason to doubt an old man telling children a story.

You will find VFX are not to be trusted to be 100% correct. The EA lacks technobabble weapons end of story.
Aurochs wrote: So kilotons per second for an omega class' beam weapons (low end estimates), based upon a series of assumptions on the composition and thickness of the armor versus.....what?
The EA is limited to the periodic table of elements, and iron(steel) is a commonly used and common metal.

The thickness is taken from a screen cap.
Aurochs wrote: Do we actually even have any on-screen evidence showing anything higher for turbloasers? The novelizations are describing a weapon that was never seen to be used during either trilogy.
The quote is talking about Turbolasers.
Aurochs wrote: "Are we counting the wanked out B5 EU first ones who have little to no resemblance to the first ones seen in the series?"

"Are we counting the wanked out SW EU Empire who have little to no resemblance to the Empire seen in the Trilogies?"
What is your point?

I don't see any Star Wars wank. I think you are mixing joules with tons.
Aurochs wrote: SW ground vehicles in general seem to be pretty awful, but why would we think that they use weaker armor then what is available to starships? Fighters seem to be at a similar disadvantage-they don't seem to have terribly resilient armor either.
Star Wars fighters as I recall are made from the same stuff as Babylon 5 craft, but Star Wars does make some super armors made with stuff that is better then anything in B5 as far as armor, and last time i checked they were used on the larger ships.

B5 has some horrible designs in it just like Star Wars.
Aurochs wrote: The A-wing that crashes into the executor and destroys the entire command bridge.
After it's shields went down from prolonged combat with a number of other ships.
Aurochs wrote: Starfuries routinely perform 180 degree spins while still maintaining speed in order to fire on ships behind them. This is beyond the capabilities of ANY fighter we have seen in SW, TIE or otherwise.
The 180 degree trick doesn't help it against fighters that can't seem to do that in-universe, and that trick just makes it a predictable target.
Aurochs wrote: Sentris are more maneuverable then most Younger Race fighters, but even they are not that maneuverable.
But they are a credible threat or better fighter then the star fury.

User1555
Bridge Officer

Post by User1555 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Lucky wrote:That would mean the hulls of B5 ships are rather weak in general if just having a 2 megaton bomb go off at range would be dangerous. There is a reason Minbari hulls are considered a joke. The farther you are from an explosion the less energy you will receive.

If 2 megaton weapons are considered strategic then that speaks poorly of their tactical weapons which would likely be weaker.
Lucky wrote:Why are you responding as if the three separate points are one?

We have no reason to doubt the guy who blew up the Black Star and company. We have reason to doubt an old man telling children a story.

You will find VFX are not to be trusted to be 100% correct. The EA lacks technobabble weapons end of story.
I'm fairly certain that Londo is talking about the Earth Minbari war in general, not about Sheridans destruction of the Black Star. I am fairly certain that the scene where he blows up the Black Star was from a much earlier episode.
Lucky wrote:The fact that fragile and slow fighters are used the way they are is proof the point defense isn't all that. B5 fighters have to close to very short ranges to be effective when facing cap ships. B5 uses very similar tactics to Star Wars remember.
Lucky wrote:Star Wars fighters as I recall are made from the same stuff as Babylon 5 craft, but Star Wars does make some super armors made with stuff that is better then anything in B5 as far as armor, and last time i checked they were used on the larger ships.

B5 has some horrible designs in it just like Star Wars.
I can't believe you are arguing that B5 has worse point defense than SW. It's true that PD in B5 is usually reserved for incoming capital ship fire instead of fighters, presumably because capital ship fire can make short work of ships even as big as B5 itself. Note what happened when the fire from the centauri ship got through B5s interceptors. Also note how long much sustained fire it took for them to breach b5s interceptors. We have never seen SW point defense display countermeasures of any kind against projectiles, and when they use it against fighters, they tend to miss, a lot.

I find it interesting that SW ships are allowed to have 'super alloys' except where on-screen evidence shows otherwise. Seems an awful lot like cherry-picking examples for SW armor strength from the EU when visuals seem to indicate otherwise. There is no reason to believe that Star Destroyer armor is any stronger then B5, otherwise, how could they lose their bridges to collisions with fighters and asteroids? Why can stormtroopers on tatooine damage the millennium falcon's armor with infantry blasters? We see blasters/turblolasers used on a wide range of targets from snow to 'durasteel' but nowhere do we get any hint that their armor is particularly tough. The only counterexample is the AT-AT

Lucky wrote:The 180 degree trick doesn't help it against fighters that can't seem to do that in-universe, and that trick just makes it a predictable target.
I can't believe you are actually proposing that the ability to turn on a dime is a detriment to a fighter.
Lucky wrote:The EA is limited to the periodic table of elements, and iron(steel) is a commonly used and common metal.

The thickness is taken from a screen cap.
Why on earth would they be using armor materials weaker then what we have today? Steel does not equal iron in terms of melting point or specific heat. It could be some form of alloy that has a high melting point, or the armor could not include iron at all. Iridium or something.

The thickness of the BEAMs were taken from a screen cap. The thickness of the ARMOR was taken from a naval ship. Just because boats here on earth use armor of a specific thickness, does not mean that space warships use the same thickness armor.
Lucky wrote:The quote is talking about Turbolasers.
As am I. We never see the destructive power of these turbolasers. Unless they are the ones that shot down Porkins and that A-wing in jedi. In which case they aren't really much more powerful then the blasters/turbolasers the fighters use.
Lucky wrote:What is your point?

I don't see any Star Wars wank. I think you are mixing joules with tons.
You are using EU stuff to prop up firepower estimates for SW ships, while denying the same of B5. I agree that the B5 EU is stupid, but that doesn't mean it is any lower canon or any less stupid then the SW EU you are drawing on. Lets keep this based upon on-screen evidence please? Before stupid stuff like the suncrusher and primordial battlecrabs start to leak in.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Lucky wrote: B5's main problem when facing a group like Star Wars or Star Trek is B5 younger races and likely even first ones is they don't have super materials to armor their ships]
seeing what Shadow ships did to a planet in one ep yeah the FO's do EA counter by slopping a but load of armor onto their guys

[
Lucky wrote:The Empire is going to need more ships in the milky-way then was in those seemingly short lived fleets for a long time, and it just can't afford that as per canon for a number of reasons even if it makes no sense. The Republic couldn't afford 5,000,000 more clones, and the Empire couldn't put down Dac even though it was openly rebellious, the main supplier of ships to the Rebel alliance, and had something like the third largest ship yards in the GFFA as I recall.. Why the Republic , CIS, and Empire have such shortages of man power and resources I can't understand, but it's canon.
well I suppose then he'll be starving his people
Lucky wrote:
The problem is the younger races will be taking major damage from each hit, but the Star Wars forces would be protected by shields, and possibly more firepower as most sources say Imperial Star Destroyers are more powerful then their clone wars counter parts. Given ISD are larger the idea makes a certain amount of sense just from the fact they would have more room for reactors.
the weakest younger races employ six hundred megaton mines and while these are ship killers they aren't fleet killers and the Drazi are by no means a major power

Lucky wrote:Keep in mind that both series have about similar accuracy except the Minbari and the first ones..
I've seen Vorchans come out of jumpsace and carve a G'quan in half turn on its tail and run back into a jump before the G'quan can get any word out beyond "oh shi*static*

EA ships have decent accuracy some of them have even managed to take out whitestars mid blitz

[
Lucky wrote: The problem is the smaller powers are each only control something like 7 systems each with the EA have something like a whopping 10 or so. The smaller powers are like one system, and that kind of limits what help they can give.
the EA iirc control more then that the largest non FO power was the Centuari at they're prime which was something like three or hour hundred systems...they've declined considerably but not so much so..that they'd be a dozen system power

EA major advantage is in industrial supremacy every one crapped themselves at how fast they recovered from the Dilgar EM and Civil wars
Lucky wrote: I'm not sure those would be an improvement over what they already have in Star Wars.

A Star wars version of this would be neat, but I doubt the Vorlons would do it:
http://efni.org/Titans.htm
bio armored Mon Cals with gravitic shields? the hull would adapt to TL fire and the shields would minimize the amount of energy that hits said hull..their own TL's backed up by beam weaponry?