Battle of Endor Force Subs

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: Battle of Endor Force Subs

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Aurochs wrote:Exactly. B5 fighters, esp starfuries, are certainly better then what is demonstrated in SW. Excepting a few outliers, B5 capital ships also displays consistently more firepower, if not durability, then SW ships.
I always wanted to see the Defiant maneuver like starfuries when fighting massive ships, the scene in the alternate universe when it fought and dodged the weapons of the huge Neg'vhar was cool but i always thought it would have been cooler if the defiant had made those same maneuvers it did in the scene while keeping its forward aspect facing towards the enemy ship and blasting away with its pulse canons constantly.

That sort of thing is what is needed along with other stuff to revitalise the franchise.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:It is "Points of Departure" where it is stated that a third mine took out three more Minbari ships, though this is not shown or mentioned in "In the Begining", but the destruction of the Black Star definitely is and it is in that movie that the 2 megaton yields for the mines are given as well.

So unless you want to pull in the Fiver apologist arguements for what happened with Black Star, the Minbari ships will have much harder time. That or you have to invoke the TCW, since that shows very low-range SW firepower from major capital ships.
-Mike
"In the Beginning" is a story told by an older Londo rather then an exact showing of the Earth/Minbari war. Londo not knowing or misremembering easily explains any detail that does not match what John(who was there) says.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Aurochs wrote:Exactly. B5 fighters, esp starfuries, are certainly better then what is demonstrated in SW. Excepting a few outliers, B5 capital ships also displays consistently more firepower, if not durability, then SW ships.
I always wanted to see the Defiant maneuver like starfuries when fighting massive ships, the scene in the alternate universe when it fought and dodged the weapons of the huge Neg'vhar was cool but i always thought it would have been cooler if the defiant had made those same maneuvers it did in the scene while keeping its forward aspect facing towards the enemy ship and blasting away with its pulse canons constantly.

That sort of thing is what is needed along with other stuff to revitalise the franchise.
While cool, I'm not sure that would necessarily be a good idea while traveling at high factions of the speed of light.

I seem to recall even DS-9 being able to travel at high fractions of the speed of light before it got fixed up.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 am

Lucky wrote: While cool, I'm not sure that would necessarily be a good idea while traveling at high factions of the speed of light.

I seem to recall even DS-9 being able to travel at high fractions of the speed of light before it got fixed up.
If the defiant already does that in combat then the direction it is pointing while doing so is not really important in the way you mean.

DS9 did that when they moved it to the wormhole, a 160 million km trip and Kira wanted it in position "by tomorrow" giving us a maximum travel time of 24 hours down to a lot less depending on what time it was on DS9.

160,000,000km / 24HRS = 6,666,666km/h minumum speed so a small fraction of c actually, a 12 hours or so trip would require very roughly 1% of c although from O'briens and Dax's comments what they were doing would get them there easily in that time.

A later scene when a runabout flown by kira meets the station that is already n position certainly implies that the station got there a lot quicker than 12-24 hours.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Lucky wrote: While cool, I'm not sure that would necessarily be a good idea while traveling at high factions of the speed of light.

If the defiant already does that in combat then the direction it is pointing while doing so is not really important in the way you mean.

DS9 did that when they moved it to the wormhole, a 160 million km trip and Kira wanted it in position "by tomorrow" giving us a maximum travel time of 24 hours down to a lot less depending on what time it was on DS9.

160,000,000km / 24HRS = 6,666,666km/h minumum speed so a small fraction of c actually, a 12 hours or so trip would require very roughly 1% of c although from O'briens and Dax's comments what they were doing would get them there easily in that time.

A later scene when a runabout flown by kira meets the station that is already n position certainly implies that the station got there a lot quicker than 12-24 hours.
Well they ended up using a jury-rigged mass-lightning system to making it so the I think six working thrusters could get them there in time.

The thing to keep in mind is that DS-9 was barely working at the time. It was a peace of junk with only six working thrusters.