Starcraft II Tech Page

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Starcraft II Tech Page

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:16 am

Given that my favorite franchise just saw the release of its second game, I thought it'd be nice to start up a thread in regards to it, because there's lots of technical stuff that needs to be mentioned.

Oh, for those of you who have no familiarity with Starcraft II, you can check out the nifty trailer.

Chief among things to mention is industry and production. Both on the large scale and the small scale.

We already briefly talked about this in an earlier thread, where Korhal was mentioned, it being converted into a nearly planet-wide city in the span of four years, where previously it had been nothing but a radioactive wasteland. Starcraft II gives us a lot more detail. It shows us a spinning image of the planet, and it is indeed nearly fully covered in bright lights and super-cities. The planet's population is, however, merely a few billion (which is, believe it or not, too much considering previous population statements), requiring that most of the infrastructure seen is heavily automated.

But it doesn't end there. An even more impressive showing comes in the form of New Folsom:

The heavy infrastructure is there because of the shifting mantle of the planet. It was put there because New Folsom originally held extremely valuable resources. It later failed as a good resource outpost however, given that the same resources were found on planets that were easier to mine. So it was converted into a prison planet that still functioned as a resource point. Of course, why this is interesting should be obvious. The sheer scale of the infrastructure on the ground is quite literally insane, not to even mention those blobs floating around in space.

Comments?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Starcraft II Tech Page

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:41 pm

What's with the big fracture here?

On the picture, there are those things orbiting the planet, but it looks like it's an in game rendering, so I don't think the scales are right. The yellow trails are odd as well.

As for what to say globally? Blizzard wants it to be awesome, even if it doesn't make sense. It just takes a look at all debate about Starcraft before we knew about SCII to see that what's going on, the scale at which things grow, feels like it's another universe.

On and is that gauss weapons that continue to produce muzzle flashes like if they were firing Hollywood chemical bullets? >:]

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 pm

The fracture? Given that it's a mining planet (or was intended to be), it could simply be an excavated and hollowed out portion of the planet. I think it more likely it's a trick of the eye though, because it's not visible on any of the other images, and the rotating image of the planet on the starmap doesn't show any hollowed out areas. The description simply mentions structures built over the lava oceans, you'd think an excavated part that large would merit mention.

As for the gauss rifles, yeah, but you haven't even seen the weirdest part. They fling out casings that say .50 cal. And the ammo boxes say "U238 C-14 Impaler rounds". So the ammo box is quite alright, but .50 cal?

EDIT: I decided to take a few more images from various points in the game:

This image does look like it's possible there's a large chasm beneath the infrastructure. Indeed, look at the north pole on the planet, it seems to be nothing but a metal framework. I guess they really did dig out the planet quite extensively.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30 pm

l33telboi wrote:The fracture? Given that it's a mining planet (or was intended to be), it could simply be an excavated and hollowed out portion of the planet. I think it more likely it's a trick of the eye though, because it's not visible on any of the other images, and the rotating image of the planet on the starmap doesn't show any hollowed out areas. The description simply mentions structures built over the lava oceans, you'd think an excavated part that large would merit mention.

As for the gauss rifles, yeah, but you haven't even seen the weirdest part. They fling out casings that say .50 cal. And the ammo boxes say "U238 C-14 Impaler rounds". So the ammo box is quite alright, but .50 cal?

EDIT: I decided to take a few more images from various points in the game:

This image does look like it's possible there's a large chasm beneath the infrastructure. Indeed, look at the north pole on the planet, it seems to be nothing but a metal framework. I guess they really did dig out the planet quite extensively.
It's quite obvious on the HD version of the CGI sequence. There are very deep scars. I guess they're later covered by the super-lattices.

Are they using robots to do that? Why even bother with that planet?
They built stuff to maintain it into place instead of letting crack open and exploit the ore while dealing with a fraction of the gravity.
And if they can do that to a planet, where did the matter go? If they use robots, shouldn't we see huge masses of ships by now? Like, you know, billions of heavy battlecruisers with AI or at least coming with skeleton crews and piloted from coordinating central warships?

This is going to explode. I wish you good luck at SBC, cause frankly that makes no sense to me. I'm open to the idea that a very large and old empire could do that to a planet over tens of millennia. But there, it's just too short. I already told you that the Coruscanted Khorak was just cringe worthy and already full of silliness, but this, it is just beyond silly.
Hell, they have never demonstrated having the industrial base, nor the material technology to build such stuff. Artificial structures that hang over deep chiasms? From people who haven't come with anything better than a mere DU upgrade for their gauss guns? Chasms which keep glowing and which don't even collapse?
Science = x_x

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm

I'll also have to check out your SBC thread about the C-14, but do you remember that older one?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Ok so you got me interested in this, i bought the game today after DLing the old one yesterday and giving it a try. I enjoyed C&C back in the day so i should enjoy this one as well.

Is it worth starting a guild or alliance or whatever they are called in this particular game?.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:31 am

The coring out and construction of a planet like that is impressive, but what kind of a world was New Folsom before the mining started?
-Mike

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Are they using robots to do that? Why even bother with that planet?
I don't know what they used to do all that, but they bothered with the planet because it contained something vital when it comes to making NeoSteel. Later on that certain something was found on other planets too, so New Folsom became something of a collossal waste of funds, and now serves as a mining planet slash prison.
And if they can do that to a planet, where did the matter go? If they use robots, shouldn't we see huge masses of ships by now? Like, you know, billions of heavy battlecruisers with AI or at least coming with skeleton crews and piloted from coordinating central warships?
Well, if you go by typical debating logic, this planet is proof of trillions of ship. Obviously. :P
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:Is it worth starting a guild or alliance or whatever they are called in this particular game?
I wouldn't know. I don't play online. I'm more of a single player guy and interested more in the story and setting then multiplayer gameplay. The single player campaign was a hoot though.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm

l33telboi wrote:
I wouldn't know. I don't play online. I'm more of a single player guy and interested more in the story and setting then multiplayer gameplay. The single player campaign was a hoot though.

I just started it single player, its ok and im up to the bit with the lava where it keeps rising.

I have no idea how to calculate stuff from the game but if you tell me how il give it a shot if it will help or speed things up.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Ok so in the mission "The Dig" the drill was rated at 174 gigawatts and it easily killed every Protoss ship or dude i fired it at even on "Brutal" level.

If i get any more referances il post em.