Feds+Imps vs Imperium of Man

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.

Who would win, E-F alliance or the Imperium?

Imperium all the way
30%
Imperium, but at a heavy cost
10%
Empire-Federation after a long drawn out war
40%
Empire-Federation easily
20%
M.A.D
No votes

Total votes: 10

Gniops
Padawan

Post by Gniops » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:08 pm

Actually, there have been more out-of-visual-range battles than you think. People just remember the ones that involve knife fights better.
Treks major conflicts seemed to consist of such, it tends to stick in the mind. Particularly the DS9 attacks

Actually, the TOS warp paradigm can be reconciled with TNG just as easily as the VOY warp paradigm
They flit across the galaxy with ease, this is rather contrary to TNG onwards.
a clearly superior weapons.
Not for a soldier, they are overly complicated and fragile guns, which need technological crutches to overcome their bad design.

Range wise, they appear strictly short ranged weapons as well.

Now, the more important question is this: Does the Empire have as good of a full-auto mode, and do they get a similar number of shots per power pack on their blaster rifles?
I'm not sure of the tibanna gas and power pack requirements of Imperial weaponry mysled.
Overall, the lasgun does seem a little more powerful from your description, but the blaster is probably up to the task of maiming or killing Imperial guards, which (IIRC) have fairly minimal armor vests and helmets.
IG uniforms are woven armour materials with rigid plates, they can be either ontop or under additional components of the armour. Solid breast plates, various armour pieces for vulnerable areas. Of course you can get chaps with less, better than nothing.

Provides them about as much protection against Lasgun fire as Stormy armour does against blasters. Next level up is Stormtrooper or Grenadier carapace armour, used by assault troops, spec ops etc.
And all of those have also failed to stop transporters. Keep that in mind. If they stop teleporters, I'd call it better than a 50% chance that transporters are also stopped.
Like I said, its highly unlikely that transporter bombs is a viable tactic.
And such language is also used very loosely in other descriptions.
eh ?
-How much mass is in that GP PW generator at most? (I.e., how heavy is it?)
No idea I'm afraid, its a tantalising titbit, but it falls short of really useful info such as scale.
-What happens to a roaring hot-plasma fusion reaction when you pull the containment off?
In 40k ? It obliterates multi-KM starships, or armoured hive cities.
-What happens to Trek and Wars power generation figures when we allow silly handwavium?
Wild inconsistencies usually.
most reasonable to treat WH40K as relying on giant fusion reactors. Sheer size of those reactors still allows them the sort of impressive scale of power that lets them devastate worlds, of course, and they have a sustained output that Federation and Empire ships are going to envy.
It's "most reasonable" to work from what they are capable of, and derive their capabilities from such information. The actual mechanism isn't neccessary for this. If we decide that they operate on whatever technological basis, then alter the facts to fit this view, then we are falling into the trap Warsies are often accused of with the ICS.

2e21 joule shots for your main bombardment cannon on a battle cruiser (that's ~500 gigatons for those of you counting) is perfectly reasonable for a ship with a km-wide fusion reactor.
A bombardment cannon is usually a turretted array on space marine or Arbites (think the FBI in space) strike cruiser. I don't think they are in Gothics main rulebook, but for comparison, the example profile for a strike cruiser describes them as massing slightly less than an Imperial light cruiser. (strike cruisers are basically heavily armoured fast troop transports, with a flexible weapon loadout for ground pounding and self defence)

Battlecruisers, well just to compare and contrast, total firepower of an Armageddon battlecruisers weaponry is 24 compared to the 11 of the strike cruiser (the comparison doesn't really work, as Games mechanics derivations are a shitty idea given the differing weaponry)

You haven't offered any figure for the nova cannon, but I see from game statistics that it generally has a listed "FP/STR" of 1 (applied with an AOE template, of course)
Off the top of my head, the calc for the KE of a nova cannon shot (this is more indicative of the energy required to fire the thing, as NCs aren't direct fire weapons except against space stations, Hulks etc) is about 240 teratons.
while the lance battery you say the bombardment cannon equivalent to is a 2-4 FP/STR weapon on various different ships
A single turret is equivalent in mechanism yes, although BCs get better criticals. Lances and BCs are 4+ to hit, but BCs cause criticals on 4+ IIRC due to their explosive payload (in addition to the impact damage)

aha, Pizza time...

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:38 pm

I'd like to throw in a bit of wisdom that I've picked up, regarding tech on a small-arms scale:

A bullet kills you just as dead as a laser.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Gniops wrote:Treks major conflicts seemed to consist of such, it tends to stick in the mind. Particularly the DS9 attacks
DS9 had a very dramaturgically oriented VFX programs. If you'll note, though, even though DS9 showed knife fights, it still indicated several times that ships could fire at fairly long range.
They flit across the galaxy with ease, this is rather contrary to TNG onwards.
Actually, they flit across the entire charted section of the galaxy with ease in roughly half of TNG - and we're not talking chronologically, either. TNG is the least consistent of all five series, worse than even Voyager if we're just talking about the raw range of normal warp figures rather than plot device issues.

The most consistent is TOS, followed by (surprisingly) DS9. I generally go with the TOS speed paradigm rather than the VOY speed paradigm because it is consistent with most of DS9, all of ENT, half of TNG, and most of the movies. The VOY speed paradigm runs into problems not only within Voyager itself, but in every single other series.
Not for a soldier, they are overly complicated and fragile guns, which need technological crutches to overcome their bad design.

Range wise, they appear strictly short ranged weapons as well.
We've never seen anyone get out of hand phaser range, and we've only (to my knowledge) seen a phaser rifle break once.

They are complicated (feature rich), which is one of the reasons that StarFleet can't simply crank out phaser rifles in job lots and hand them to Imperial troopers expecting them to know how to use them without substantial training.

Something like the Cardassian phase disruptor rifle would be a better one to produce and issue in job lots - simple, robust, easy to learn.

One of the major benefits that the Federation-Empire unholy combination could take advantage of is the ability to combine their strengths, but it takes time. The longer the war drags on, the more the odds shift towards the unholy alliance.
I'm not sure of the tibanna gas and power pack requirements of Imperial weaponry mysled.
Well, this is a pretty important item for this matchup, so we should try to figure it out.
IG uniforms are woven armour materials with rigid plates, they can be either ontop or under additional components of the armour. Solid breast plates, various armour pieces for vulnerable areas. Of course you can get chaps with less, better than nothing.

Provides them about as much protection against Lasgun fire as Stormy armour does against blasters.
I.e., not much?
eh ?
E.g., in describing the first Death Star.
No idea I'm afraid, its a tantalising titbit, but it falls short of really useful info such as scale.
Let me put it this way: 1 PW total output, if sustained for millenia, is hundreds of thousands of tons of matter. Conservation of mass/energy is a real pain in the tail, but I like to require different franchises to figure out how to abide by it before I compare them.
In 40k ? It obliterates multi-KM starships, or armoured hive cities.
The plasma escapes. Now, if you've got a couple million tons of super-hot plasma sitting in a magnetic pressure cooker and the thing cracks open, it would wipe out multi-km starships.
Wild inconsistencies usually.
Well, if we allow handwavium, the occasional absurdly high figures, such as seen in TDIC, Operation: Annihilate!, are much harder to minimize or justify ignoring.
It's "most reasonable" to work from what they are capable of, and derive their capabilities from such information. The actual mechanism isn't neccessary for this. If we decide that they operate on whatever technological basis, then alter the facts to fit this view, then we are falling into the trap Warsies are often accused of with the ICS.
Not really. Taking the highest individual instance and working from there is likely to give you serious problems. It's better to establish what principles we're going to obey first. I myself am quite fond of conservation laws, for example, and use those to derive as much of the material on the main website as possible.
A bombardment cannon is usually a turretted array on space marine or Arbites (think the FBI in space) strike cruiser. I don't think they are in Gothics main rulebook, but for comparison, the example profile for a strike cruiser describes them as massing slightly less than an Imperial light cruiser. (strike cruisers are basically heavily armoured fast troop transports, with a flexible weapon loadout for ground pounding and self defence)

Battlecruisers, well just to compare and contrast, total firepower of an Armageddon battlecruisers weaponry is 24 compared to the 11 of the strike cruiser (the comparison doesn't really work, as Games mechanics derivations are a shitty idea given the differing weaponry)

Off the top of my head, the calc for the KE of a nova cannon shot (this is more indicative of the energy required to fire the thing, as NCs aren't direct fire weapons except against space stations, Hulks etc) is about 240 teratons.
Really? How big and how fast is that? How many times per turn (or turns per time) can a Nova Cannon fire, and why can't it be fired at mobile targets? Let's hear more about this Nova Cannon. I'd like to know why it has such a higher energy level than any of the other weapons brought up so far.

For the record, though, I'll point out that 240 TT (1e25 J) once every five minutes is an average sustained output of 280 exawatts, i.e., in the same ballpark as peak short-term warp core output for a GCS. That's quite impressive if it pans out.

In terms of energy, this does get into a rather problematic range of going through 12.5+ million tons of fusion fuel per shot. Even if you have half a cubic kilometer of plasma with an average density of ~2 g/cc, that goes through a lot of fuel in a hurry.
A single turret is equivalent in mechanism yes, although BCs get better criticals. Lances and BCs are 4+ to hit, but BCs cause criticals on 4+ IIRC due to their explosive payload (in addition to the impact damage)

aha, Pizza time...
OK. Then the KE figures are suitable for general comparison with other WH40K weapons. I will suggest that the Nova Cannon's total shot energy is probably not a very good measuring stick for telling you how much energy a WH40K fleet is going to land on target.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 am

While I'm not advocating for short range Trek weapons, there is evidence to support it. In the episode when the Dominon captures DS9 we see the fleet slowly lumbering towards the station and it is only about 10km away, in the shot immediately preceding or following (I don't remember) Dukat is informed that they are one minute to weapons range. This is clearly not the range limitation we see or hear about most of the time, but it does exist.

Gniops
Padawan

Post by Gniops » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am

2e21 joule shots for your main bombardment cannon on a battle cruiser (that's ~500 gigatons for those of you counting) is perfectly reasonable for a ship with a km-wide fusion reactor.
Thats the KE of a rapid fire weapon, with an explosive payload in addition, its mounted on a strike cruiser, as I think I mentioned before.

Battlecruisers are larger.
The Gothic class cruiser, which is armed with two lance batteries and short-range torpedos, seems to be considered worth half as much as the heaviest Imperium battleship.
In points, a rather abstract definition I'm afraid.
m not seeing the maximum firepower for a fusion-powered ship with a reactor this size, not from those figures. The only hard firepower figures you've offered are 610 gigatons for a torpedo, and then 500 gigatons for a bombardment cannon.
Handily enough, a Strike cruiser has 8 points worth of weapons batteries as well, plus eight obvious main broadside guns, in addition to its Thunderhawk or Cobra gunships.

Going with slightly iffy "point" comparison, it has eight laser cannons of around 600 gigatons a shot, enough to one shot borg cubes with a single weapon

On a five minute cycle, with generally one mount of that scale covering each firing arc for a typical cruiser, that's actually not any greater output than a GCS's conventional weapons (phasers est at peak values several GT/sec, torpedos est ~ GT ea when fired at large slow targets in a bombardment-style attack.) A GCS can be expected to dump its entire peacetime torpedo arsenal in one BFG turn, with small swift shielded torpedos that WH40K ships probably have no clue on how to down, while striking with phasers the entire time. In other words, the GCS can expect to be able to deliver, at 300,000 km, in one WH40K firing cycle, a completely accurate barrage that hits as hard as a Strike cruiser orbital bombardment.
A single shot from a bombardment cannon, i.e. one projectile is going to hit with more energy than almost five minutes of sustained phaser fire if for some reason they forget to put the warhead in there.

Bombardment cannons fire "clutches" or volley's.

As far as I can tell, a single shot, or near miss is going to destroy pretty much any federation ship.

I'm not sure I agree with the ROF of Federation vessels with their torpedoes either, I don't think theres ever been a case of them firing such sustained volleys, and gigaton firepower seems way off base for Star Trek, I seem to remember mere megawatts beating the crap out of them in one episode.

Imperial defences have shot down eldar torpedos, which are extremely fast, not to mention possessing stealth technology.

It begs the question, why don't they do this sort of thing against anyone else ?
Although (IIRC) not enough to kill a typical WH40K cruiser, this is going to be pretty demoralizing coming from a ship that much smaller than a WH40K ship
*shrug*

When they blast the ship out of space with a single shot, I don't think they'll be particularly bothered ;)
Open the door to StarFleet "creativity" (i.e., Deus Ex Machina) and we can start talking about the infamous deflector array beam and other various means of cheating, of course
Given the above, I can't see there being any other resort for the federation.
Anything specific? (More importantly, is this normal?) Because if this is normal, we could assume that Imperium ships have raw sublight linear acceleration (at least) advantages over Imperial capital ships, albeit not Trek ships.
A similar situation occurs in Sabbat Martyr, and Flight of the Eisenstein, "attack speed" for 40k Imperial based technology is around 0.75 C, Imperial Ships at " One tenth" main engine power cover 9 AU in less than two hours on a routine meet and greet at a Warp point.
It doesn't mean that every shot that hit was a low powered one.
Remember that similar shots destroyed the two Romulan vessels that were accompanying the Enterprise.
And franckly, if the Enterprise hadn't been a threat, the Scimitart would have had no reasons to cloak and fight.
I for one hand would've been far more terrified as a Captain, if I had seen the other ship just standing there and taking everything we had and not care.
The Scimitar flew around firing while cloaked because it feared what a fully seeing, fully tergetting Enterprise would have been able to do, IMO.
Whatever else we agree on, I think we can agree that Shinzon is a complete tool, if he was bothered about the Enterprises weaponry, why did he fly up its ass so they could actually hit him ?

Actually, they cause small burn marks, but they still kill in one shot 90% of the time.
I wonder myself if the actual mechanism of a "kill" phaser setting isn't something completely different from the "sparklyfie" and other settings.

The fact you can knock someone unconsious, and IIRC have plasma beams make me think some sort of either technobabble weapon that attacks the nervous system, or just a glorified taser.

Un-quantified wide beam of doom not withstanding, I expect that the average "light burn but not kill" setting won't particularly affect armoured troops.
Plus, there's the kinetic punch the Phaser delivers.
Notice how people hit with a Phaser blast get thrown backward, even when moving forward?
It even does that on Stun settings...
You can probably set a phaser to pick your nose if you tweak it enough.
Just as with the Brute Force quote, it basucally depends on how much energy the "Energy Resistant" armor can resist.
It is said that Stormtrooper armor also is energy resistant, yet any Blaster bolt will kill one... Any blaster shot that hits, that is... ;)
Simply by vapourising large chunks of bodies, heads etc, vapourising internal organs, slicing off limbs etc, lasguns are probably megawatt range weapons,

The general "kill" setting of a phaser cannot be particularly energetic, as it only creates mild burns, peak output is another matter.
Eh? So in your mind the schimtar which was heavily shielded and heavily armed, and was uber manuvable being able to outclass the ENT-E proves an IMperium vessel would do the same? In essence the schimtar was the perfect blend of the two ideas. It had the agility and the hitting power to fly rings around the the ENT-E and pummle it. I fail to understand your claim that the schimatr won wiht only a few shots, it fired a decent amount IMO.
The Imperial vessels grotesquely outgun even the most powerful Federation vessels is my point. They don't need to ponce around, just shoot.
Maybe, if outgunned teh borg do poorly since they rely on brute force.
what "non brute force" method do you reccomend for the Federation to employ tactically against the Imperium ?

Teleporting bombs is unlikely, even shieldless Imperial vessels are huge densely armoured moving targets, with heavily emitting weaponry and exotic material construction.

A knife slash to a vital can always make a differnce. Big giant gun platforms have drawbacks that can be exploited.
I'd say consider the situation of a pregnant woman versus a klingon, with all their redundant organs etc, but I suddenly realised why you think the above has any real meaning here ;)
Combined with the fact that it's target couldn't evade it at all. The fight would have been a tad differnt if it simply sat and fired disrupter banks.
I doubt it would have been hugely different, Shinzon categorically wanted Picard alive, judging by the ease with which he carefully managed this, with only a few weapon emplacements firing at a time, and no "heavy" weapons in the form of torpedos at all.

I can only imagine a sustained battle to the death would result in a slightly damaged Scimitar, and floating debris.
No were near a borg cube which can function effectivly wiht 70% missing.
well, avoiding the fact that this is the Federation we are talking about, and that I'm not sure we've ever seen a borg cube function at all with 70% missing.

A borg cube with 70% missing simply cannot retain anything like its original capabilities.

the fact that it might still be able to shoot, or move is very nice and certainly impressive, but with 70% GONE its probably not doing very much to anything.
Depends if they connect or not. Otherwise thier just fireworks.
Given Federation tactical doctrine, and the capabilities of Imperial ships, and their weaponry, why are they not going to connect ?
So you'd accept less firepower,less options, less accuracy because it looks cool? I'm fine with that.
I suggest you look up the concept of ergonomics, and certainly I'd question your assertions of "accuracy" on the part of Federation personnel/phasers being far greater than Imperial blaster weaponry.

Firepower is a difficult question with phasers, particularly since their "kill" mechanism is pretty exotic to begin with, never mind their vape and wide beam settings. I may have mentioned that simply exploding a chunk of someones body is as effective against humans as disintigrating their entire body.

You probably get more shots as well.
So? I said if that was it's standard setting ie number 1, or are you arguing we should ignore all the hits to humans as special effects error and simply assume a blaster would always do maximum damage?
I'm not sure what you are gibbering here, the facts speak for themselves.

Blasters are perfectly capable of the feats ascribed to them against humans outside of the visual media, i.e. blasting huge chunks out of human bodies, unless you claim that every time they shoot a wall or grille etc, its got explosives attached ;) (hahahaha)

Because for all ententes and purpuse a beam is full auto, JMS website has even proposed that phasers fire "bolts" so fast it only appears to be a beam. I don't fully believe that, but the point is anything you can do with full auto a beam can.
Except the federation doesn't do that, theres no sweeping of sustained phaser beams going on at all from federation weaponry.

If they used their guns as you describe, then sure, but as it stands, they stand up and fire a single beam at a specific point, then hide again
90% of starwars simply flashes and burn. It's called settings. Thier's little need to waste energy vaping or blowing up someone with you can simply kill him. To deny what we've seen a phaser do simply because it doesn't always reduce a human to a pile mess seems a tad harsh.
Whenever phasers destroy entire human bodies, its technobabble.

Simple as.

Whenever they kill somebody with disintigrating, its mild burns. Dead people in Starwars shot with blasters have holes burnt in body armour that is still on fire as they fall, one can only imagine what its done to their insides.
Duh. Dead is dead. the point was we were comparing the two standard issue weapons. A phaser has a lot the lasgun doesn't and everything it does have with greater firepower. So it's a better gun. As far as the guardsman is concerned it would depend on how good his armor is at stopping lasgun fire.
The phaser has a lot the lasgun doesn't NEED, I'm going to be blunt,

hand phaser accuracy, or Starfleet training is obviously shit, because they can't shoot straight to save their life, Imperial guard have intelligently designed military weapons, which allow them to shoot accurately, and at range, with enough firepower to kill their likely opponents. poorly armoured federation personnel, or more likely, the slightly better equipped stormies.
Brute force has it's limits. Nothign is unstoppable or inviciable. However Starfleet personel have shown a flair for rapidly figeruing out alien tech and in some cases turning it on the enemy.
enough with this bollocks, provide something of substance, or stop mumbling about alternate approachs and special tactics.
Please cite a refrence where technolagy stopped a transporter.
Umm....shields, transformers, warp cores ?
If you stand right freaking under it sure that might work.
Or if you carry say a fusion reactor in your backpack...?
I don't recall that, please cite refrence.
Those little AI repair bots jammed transporter signals
That was lethal to humans and I wouldn't want to be beamed there. Even IG would find that planet bothersome.
Wasn't it lethal to humans on a generational basis ? i.e. humans could still live and breath, and reproduce.

meaning its not that intense.
Well once your past the shields just about any high explosive inside would be bad, even if it's not near the reactor.
I'm reminded horribly of Independance day, unfortunately, the Imperium is the massivel ysuperior shielded types here, and they reply to hails from people they want dead with "viral data streams" and other anti-social things.

Their communication arrays might be lethal LOL

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:10 am

Gniops wrote:Thats the KE of a rapid fire weapon, with an explosive payload in addition, its mounted on a strike cruiser, as I think I mentioned before.

Battlecruisers are larger.

A single shot from a bombardment cannon, i.e. one projectile is going to hit with more energy than almost five minutes of sustained phaser fire if for some reason they forget to put the warhead in there.

Bombardment cannons fire "clutches" or volley's.
So that's not the KE of what it fires per round, then? How many shots does it deliver per attack (and how many are assumed to be hitting another ship on a successful attack?)
In points, a rather abstract definition I'm afraid.
Abstract, yes, but in general, it suggests that the firepower they deliver is on the general order of half of what a battlecruiser does.
Handily enough, a Strike cruiser has 8 points worth of weapons batteries as well, plus eight obvious main broadside guns, in addition to its Thunderhawk or Cobra gunships.

Going with slightly iffy "point" comparison, it has eight laser cannons of around 600 gigatons a shot, enough to one shot borg cubes with a single weapon
Actually, brute-forcing cubes is a nightmarish proposition, and we can't really be sure what it takes. We do know that a Borg cube can basically ignore maximum warp core output, which is on the order of a hundred gigatons per second; we've also seen Borg get nailed by a plasma burst that probably delivered less energy, though they weren't expecting it.

A Borg invasion would have an entirely different set of issues; it's a scenario worth exploring, but it would be better to make a whole new thread on that.
As far as I can tell, a single shot, or near miss is going to destroy pretty much any federation ship.

I'm not sure I agree with the ROF of Federation vessels with their torpedoes either, I don't think theres ever been a case of them firing such sustained volleys, and gigaton firepower seems way off base for Star Trek, I seem to remember mere megawatts beating the crap out of them in one episode.
Actually, it was a mere "200 gigawatts" dropping their shields in one episode - which was entirely off-base by the rest of the TNG era canon. It was one of the assorted episodes involving a godlike being; the firepower figures are based on observing the effect against inert targets.

As far as there being a case where such sustained volleys were used, watch any battle against a "large" opponent, e.g., the Scimitar - it didn't take all that long for the E-E to run out of torpedos, all things considered.

I don't think any of us have much trouble with the idea that one hit from a WH40K ship's capital weapons is likely to kill a Trek ship. We can compute Trek ship shielding capacities as 100 gigatons for a Constitution class in TOS by invoking "Balance of Terror," but that is one of the higher figures available. There are a few other examples we can abuse (like "New Ground" and "The Die is Cast") to suggest that Trek ships would have similar durability to WH40K ships, but the bulk of examples imply that most Trek ships would go down in no more than 2 shots - 1 to bring down the shields, one to pulverize the ship.
Imperial defences have shot down eldar torpedos, which are extremely fast, not to mention possessing stealth technology.

It begs the question, why don't they do this sort of thing against anyone else ?
We do see them do this sort of thing against other people - firing that quantity of torpedos, causing those levels of destruction, etc.

Imagine a solid chunk of iron the size of a WH40K battlecruiser. A TOS era Romulan ship destroys something like that in 1-2 shots in "Balance of Terror."

Incidentally, re: Eldar Torpedos - that is just fanon I see labeling them "quantum" torpedos that use a "monomolecular" scale singularity that evaporates in a "picosecond," right? (ref)
A similar situation occurs in Sabbat Martyr, and Flight of the Eisenstein, "attack speed" for 40k Imperial based technology is around 0.75 C, Imperial Ships at " One tenth" main engine power cover 9 AU in less than two hours on a routine meet and greet at a Warp point.
That's about what we see invoked in Trek.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:29 am

Gniops could you please put the person's name of the quote atleast when you start quoting that person so I(and the rest) know which quotes are whom?
Gniops wrote:The Imperial vessels grotesquely outgun even the most powerful Federation vessels is my point. They don't need to ponce around, just shoot.
That has nothign to do with the scimitar incident. So I fail to see why you bringing it up radicaly changes the fact that IMperium ships are floating gunplatforms designed to hit other floating gunplarforms.
what "non brute force" method do you reccomend for the Federation to employ tactically against the Imperium ?
Fly around pumling it while it harmless fires at you until the thing drops dead. You know use your strenght and thier weakness sort of thing.
Teleporting bombs is unlikely, even shieldless Imperial vessels are huge densely armoured moving targets, with heavily emitting weaponry and exotic material construction
Dense objects, exotic matierals and weapons emitters havn't been shown stopping transporters, care to cite refrence?
I doubt it would have been hugely different, Shinzon categorically wanted Picard alive, judging by the ease with which he carefully managed this, with only a few weapon emplacements firing at a time, and no "heavy" weapons in the form of torpedos at all.
Eh the ships weapons were decent enough I don';t even know if it had torpedoes.
I can only imagine a sustained battle to the death would result in a slightly damaged Scimitar, and floating debris.
Why? Able to outmanvuer the ENt could avoid the bulk of the scimitar fire while it would recieve nealry all of it. Doesn't matter how big your guns are if they never connect.
well, avoiding the fact that this is the Federation we are talking about, and that I'm not sure we've ever seen a borg cube function at all with 70% missing.
A) what's wrong with the federation?

B) could that be Borg cubes are 1. rarely seriously damaged, and 2. when they are we blow them to bits?
A borg cube with 70% missing simply cannot retain anything like its original capabilities.

the fact that it might still be able to shoot, or move is very nice and certainly impressive, but with 70% GONE its probably not doing very much to anything.
Not in of itself no. It would have to repair itself but if your fleet was wipedo ut and left 30% it could still complete it's mission and would only be delayed. That is impressive and I'll bet far beyond an Imperiam vessels ablility.
Given Federation tactical doctrine, and the capabilities of Imperial ships, and their weaponry, why are they not going to connect ?
Because feds ships you know manuver. Quite nicely I migh add. Hell warpstrafe them if need be. But serously why do you belive weapons designed to hit far larger vessels that are floating bricks can suddenly hit far smaller vessels that are far,far,far more capable of evading enemy fire?
I suggest you look up the concept of ergonomics, and certainly I'd question your assertions of "accuracy" on the part of Federation personnel/phasers being far greater than Imperial blaster weaponry.
So whats so bad about the ergonomics of a phaser rifle? Or the new curved grip phaser pistols? As far as accuracy goes yes feds have the upper hand between off axis aiming, target aquistions and the fact that unlike Stormies they hit the freaking target.
Firepower is a difficult question with phasers, particularly since their "kill" mechanism is pretty exotic to begin with, never mind their vape and wide beam settings. I may have mentioned that simply exploding a chunk of someones body is as effective against humans as disintigrating their entire body.
Your a little all over the place. Do you want to know which weapon has the greater effective yeild? IF so the it's the phaser. It is important because you know what it can shoot thorugh. Phasers can blast thorugh armor designed to stop lasguns while lasguns might not blast thorugh armor designed to stop phasers. If your simply saying that a you don't need to go around vaping people to kill what is your point? I fully understand you don't need to vape people to kill them, hence settings and 1 is kill not vape. However origanly you said Lasguns, one of the weakest guns in WH40K IIRC would easily overpower any defensive shields meant for phasers because of thier power. I've proven that assertion wrong.
You probably get more shots as well.
Again the reason why thier settings and we don't go around vaping everybody. Setting 5 IIRC can reduce a large boulder to a smoking cinder, which better then say blowing a huge chunk out of someone or removing a limb.
Blasters are perfectly capable of the feats ascribed to them against humans outside of the visual media, i.e. blasting huge chunks out of human bodies, unless you claim that every time they shoot a wall or grille etc, its got explosives attached ;) (hahahaha)
So? Hit the right setting and voila it blows a nice crater in the wall. I have never denied this. It just isn't setting one which for some reason you disagree with.
Except the federation doesn't do that, theres no sweeping of sustained phaser beams going on at all from federation weaponry.
While I can't think of a combat refrence, the feat is totally possible refrence when Archer used a phase pistol to burn thorugh a tree limb.
Whenever phasers destroy entire human bodies, its technobabble.

Simple as.
Your less dead via technobabble? I don't care if it phase you to another dimision or convert you to netrionos. Your dead and far more matter is gone then what a blaster could wish to do. By the way the 5 megajoul refrence blows the rock to bits, not magicly disaper but blows it up to bits. So it's not even technobabble.

Whenever they kill somebody with disintigrating, its mild burns.
Considering it's on TV they probley don't want to show people being horrible blown to bits and other nasty effects.

or is "it's only a movie/tv show" only valid for imperial blasters :)
Dead people in Starwars shot with blasters have holes burnt in body armour that is still on fire as they fall, one can only imagine what its done to their insides.
You mean those sparks that are a natural byproduct of blasters? Look you shot a guy with a blaster thier sparks, smoke but at the end of it all he has a tiny hole not a massive one. You can be blasted constantly by them , from a large number of troops, and nothing happens besides keeling over dead. Now this doens't mean they can't do more damage, just means they have to dial it up a notch. Most of the time they keep it down low, possibly for power consumptions reasons. As you say your just as head with a 3 quarter inch hole in your head as if your entire body has been smeared across the country side.
The phaser has a lot the lasgun doesn't NEED, I'm going to be blunt,
Yeah self targeting guns and stablizers who would want that. I want gun that nothing more then a trigger and a barrel. :)
hand phaser accuracy, or Starfleet training is obviously shit, because they can't shoot straight to save their life
They don't do that bad. Sure thier not supermarksmen or anything but thier generaly competent by sci-fi standards.
Imperial guard have intelligently designed military weapons,
I assume they look more gunlike?
which allow them to shoot accurately, and at range, with enough firepower to kill their likely opponents.
Same for feds. Unless Imperium guardmen are all super elite marksmen I doubt thier will be a huge advantage in accuracy by any side.
poorly armoured federation personnel, or more likely, the slightly better equipped stormies.
Stomries have crud equipment on a soldier level. Useless armor that can't stop a blast shot on any known setting, or arrows, limit field of vision and movement and gives limited benifites. While body armor is a good idea thier's need some serious redesigning.
enough with this bollocks, provide something of substance, or stop mumbling about alternate approachs and special tactics.
Any possible approch I suggest owuld be merely (at best) a theroy of what i would do with thier abilites. I merely remind you that not everything can be solved by a big enough gun and if you underestimate people because of that, your going to get burned badly. Have I ever said it would easy to take out a Titan? No. Would it be easier to brute force it to death? Hell yes. Is that more likely to succeed? Again yes. However to simply say they could never ever do anything to hurt us when these guys have proven to be ultra resourcful at jury-rigging technolagies is simply stupid.
Umm....shields, transformers, warp cores ?
You listed those alongside simply technolagy so when has simply having technolagy ever byitself caused a problem.
Or if you carry say a fusion reactor in your backpack...?
Sure if you carry one in your backback I couldn't beam out from under you. I assume you are refering to the mech thing's reactor of course.
Those little AI repair bots jammed transporter signals
They didn't employ ECM IIRC. They simply jammed it. WHich I freely admit is possible, trek races routinly jam thier enemies transporters during battle.
Wasn't it lethal to humans on a generational basis ? i.e. humans could still live and breath, and reproduce.

meaning its not that intense.
You wouldn't die right off IIRC but would have a shortened lifespan, weaklness, etc. The Imperial guard could go thier but would start dieing off and would not be in shape to fight. Plus considering no human from the Enterprise would dare touch the sureface I doubt thier is a magic cure for it either. So hyperradition while blocking transporters seems a tad useless in a tatical engament.
I'm reminded horribly of Independance day, unfortunately, the Imperium is the massivel ysuperior shielded types here, and they reply to hails from people they want dead with "viral data streams" and other anti-social things.
Feds can hack into mines floating in subspace with nothing more then a tricorder. While I wouldn't want to bet money on it, I wouldn't rule out an ID4 style attack. Hey how automated are these things anyway?

Imagine one of them being remoted controled blazing the Imperial guard.:)

Gniops
Padawan

Post by Gniops » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:41 pm

That has nothign to do with the scimitar incident. So I fail to see why you bringing it up radicaly changes the fact that IMperium ships are floating gunplatforms designed to hit other floating gunplarforms.
I brought the Scimitar up as an example of what a heavily armed and well shielded battleship can do to Federation vessels from their own tech base.

The superior weaponry and shielding of an Imperial vessel means that combat isn't even going to be an issue.

Imperial ships are heavily armoured, heavily shielded space vessels, with flexible weaponry. you say "floating gun platform" as though its ridiculous to imagine.
Fly around pumling it while it harmless fires at you until the thing drops dead. You know use your strenght and thier weakness sort of thing.
With the quantative and qualitive superiority of Imperial weapons, and their own respectable acceleration, federation ships can flit about all they like. It won't really make a difference. A feddy ship could literally fire its phasers dry and not bother a Cruiser.
Dense objects, exotic matierals and weapons emitters havn't been shown stopping transporters, care to cite refrence?
As both likely denser materials and exotic material, that "victurium alloy", the veins of some ore running through the hills in Insurrection.

Alien technology in the from of the Iconian building as well.

naturally occurring low intensity radiation, x-ray bursts, solar radiation of other types etc all interfere. Are you honestly claiming that they are going to be able to beam bombs into something equipped not only with a giant power source, but with energy shields, ECM, superconducting armour plates etc ?

I find that hideously unlikely.
Eh the ships weapons were decent enough I don';t even know if it had torpedoes.
52 disrupter banks and the power to use them is probably more than enough to crush any other vessel barring Borg cubes.
Why? Able to outmanvuer the ENt could avoid the bulk of the scimitar fire while it would recieve nealry all of it. Doesn't matter how big your guns are if they never connect.
Imperial ships are literally studded with weapons, and they don't fight like Trek ships, i.e. a few beams, a few small torpedo volleys, they pour out sustained firepower, they don't even need to hit the Federation ships (who doctrinally don't flit about like mad things, they knife fight BTW) very much

A) what's wrong with the federation?
The borg rape them, as will the Imperium
B) could that be Borg cubes are 1. rarely seriously damaged, and 2. when they are we blow them to bits?
You are basically nothing of use here, Borg cubes manage to operate with 70% of their mass gone (perhaps you might prove that sometime ?) supposedly.

So what ? An Imperial Cetacean class transport can do the same.
Not in of itself no. It would have to repair itself but if your fleet was wipedo ut and left 30% it could still complete it's mission and would only be delayed. That is impressive and I'll bet far beyond an Imperiam vessels ablility.
I dont' honestly know how to respond to this. I might start by pointing out that the Federation don't have any borg cubes, and are unlikely to be able to even bring down the shields of an Imperial vessel without massive superiority of numbers. with the offensive doctrine of Imperial vessels to operate in battlefleets, this is unlikely to occur.
Because feds ships you know manuver. Quite nicely I migh add. Hell warpstrafe them if need be. But serously why do you belive weapons designed to hit far larger vessels that are floating bricks can suddenly hit far smaller vessels that are far,far,far more capable of evading enemy fire?
Warpstrafe simply does not occur. Not once does this happen against a target not at warp, the relative velocity makes it impossible, and given its a tactic of immense tactical benefit, why on earth does it never happen ?

Like I mentioned before, main lance arrays can shoot down fighters and torpedoes, something hundreds of meters long isn't exactly going to be impossible to hit, particularly when it lacks stealth capabilties.
So whats so bad about the ergonomics of a phaser rifle?
I've only ever seen one decently designed weapon in ST, the phaser rifle in First Contact,

Simply put, if it resembles a modern firearm, its probably got pretty decent ergonomics, if it looks anything like the entire range of Federation weaponry up till first contact, its bloody awful.

No trigger guards, shoulder stocks, iron sights, scopes, ergonmically designed handles.
Or the new curved grip phaser pistols?
Never seen them, if they are from enterprise, then its pretty obvious it doesn't mitigate the massive step backwards everything took.
As far as accuracy goes yes feds have the upper hand between off axis aiming, target aquistions and the fact that unlike Stormies they hit the freaking target.
Off axis aiming probably contributes to the rather casual way Federation personel fire their weapons, the fact that their accuracy, even at close range is awful doesn't speak well for the value of the auto aiming technology.

You should probably do some reading about modern warfare with automatic weapons, the ratio og weapons fire to casualties isn't exactly 1:1
Your a little all over the place.
If I am, its because I'm fed up of meaningless answers.
Do you want to know which weapon has the greater effective yeild?
Phasers vapourise soft humans, they mildly char anything else.

Do the math.
Phasers can blast thorugh armor designed to stop lasguns
In combat, the Federation doesn't use such a setting, clearly due to power requirements, or perhaps duration of the beam fired.

The "kill" setting for a phaser is the mild burn/taser shot, which will do jack to an armoured individual.

The same cannot be said for a lasguns effects on Federation troops and military personel, who don't come with shields as standard. Or any real military organisation at all for that matter.

Simply put, the Feddies will be shooting single beams at maxium power to hurt the line infantry of the Imperium, who will be trying not to laugh themselves to death when shooting back, or sitting inside a Battletank.
hile lasguns might not blast thorugh armor designed to stop phasers
No such armour even exists to my knowledge,
If your simply saying that a you don't need to go around vaping people to kill what is your point? I fully understand you don't need to vape people to kill them, hence settings and 1 is kill not vape. However origanly you said Lasguns, one of the weakest guns in WH40K IIRC would easily overpower any defensive shields meant for phasers because of thier power. I've proven that assertion wrong.
I said that powerful energy weapons of the Imperial guard would counter energy shields, the "kill" setting of phasers isn't exactly energetic, and certainyl wouldn't require multi-megawatt power to produce.

Ergo, energy shields designed to protect against lethal phaser fire shouldn't particularly inhibit lasguns.

Failing that, the Imperium has got plenty of bigger guns, it can probably deploy more battletanks to a location than the federation can dedicated troops.
So? Hit the right setting and voila it blows a nice crater in the wall. I have never denied this. It just isn't setting one which for some reason you disagree with.
No I don't.
While I can't think of a combat refrence, the feat is totally possible refrence when Archer used a phase pistol to burn thorugh a tree limb.
Archer swept a continues beam through a tree, in a raking fashion, mimicing automatic fire, ?

Your less dead via technobabbl
why should technobabble even work when its not shooting incompetant materials like flesh and cloth ?

Show me an armoured human being disintigrated by a phaser, otherwise its unlikely even Level Sparkly 12 is going to be particularly useful.

Hell, in DS9 they try burning through a door with phaser/disruptor weaponry, and fail miserably, energy weapon resistent armour plating and weave should do nicely, never mind heavy powered plate.
By the way the 5 megajoul refrence blows the rock to bits, not magicly disaper but blows it up to bits
And such mechanisms are not used for the Sparkly setting, makes you wonder why doesn't it ?
So it's not even technobabble.
The fact that some settings display some evidence of a particularly energy input does not endow any other setting with such an input.
or is "it's only a movie/tv show" only valid for imperial blasters :)
Yeah, because that was exactly what I was implying prat.
You mean those sparks that are a natural byproduct of blasters? Look you shot a guy with a blaster thier sparks, smoke but at the end of it all he has a tiny hole not a massive one
I think its obvious to even the most daft people that damaging ARMOUR is a little harder than damaging bare flesh.

I honestly don't get what you think you are proving with the rest of it.

Yeah self targeting guns and stablizers who would want that. I want gun that nothing more then a trigger and a barrel. :)
Lasguns are combat effective at ranges of hundreds of meters, people with phasers equipped with stabilisers and auto-aiming miss at less than ten meters.
They don't do that bad. Sure thier not supermarksmen or anything but thier generaly competent by sci-fi standards.
If auto-aiming and stabilisers produce the Trek weaponries accuracy, then they aren't exactly better off than if they all used flintlocks.

At least they'd kick the shit out of the borg next time they fought them on a starship

I assume they look more gunlike?
Do you honestly not see how this is a good thing ?
Same for feds. Unless Imperium guardmen are all super elite marksmen I doubt thier will be a huge advantage in accuracy by any side.
It isn't the same for Feds, for a start, the fact that Worf hefts a shoulder fired weapon with the effective yield of a small grenade launcher in Insurrection for shooting at range, instead of sweeping a phaser rifle in an arc on "kill" or widebeaming on "kill" or widebeaming on a high setting indicates that the weapons aren't capable of such actions either at that range or at all.

An Imperial guardsmen would have gunned them down with his accurate at hundreds of meters fully automatic rifle. And if he wanted to use a heavier weapon, he'd have had access to grenade launchers with proper sights, or heavy tankbusting plasma rifles etc.
Stomries have crud equipment on a soldier level.
They have a HUD, they have a networking and datalinking at a tactical and strategic level, visual sensors, regulated environment and NBC protection.

They have EXCELLENT equipment.
Useless armor that can't stop a blast shot on any known setting
Shoot a US marine with his own rifle, you'll probably kill him.

Body armour increases the chance of survival, and the severity of injuries.

I think its pretty likely that ST armour is probably proof against shrapnel, solid munitions of lower calibers, stun settings etc, but its always easier to destroy than it is protect.

Compare the Imperials and the Imperium with the pyjama suits of the Federation.
or arrows,
I'm pretty sure I saw arrows rattling of standard stormy battle armour in ROTJ you know.

As well as big rocks.
limit field of vision and movement
Given that they have a HUD, its pretty likely that the stupid farmboy didn't know how to use his complex piece of equipment wouldnt' you say ?

Being able to see in the dark > being blind in the dark, with a bare head.

As for limiting movement, I'd be suprised if it does to any real degree, even the heavier cloney armour allowed them to move around unimpeded.
Any possible approch I suggest owuld be merely (at best) a theroy of what i would do with thier abilites. I merely remind you that not everything can be solved by a big enough gun and if you underestimate people because of that, your going to get burned badly. Have I ever said it would easy to take out a Titan? No. Would it be easier to brute force it to death? Hell yes. Is that more likely to succeed? Again yes. However to simply say they could never ever do anything to hurt us when these guys have proven to be ultra resourcful at jury-rigging technolagies is simply stupid.
You can't come up with a damn thing can you ?
You listed those alongside simply technolagy so when has simply having technolagy ever byitself caused a problem.
I think you've misunderstood me, deliberately or otherwise.
Sure if you carry one in your backback I couldn't beam out from under you. I assume you are refering to the mech thing's reactor of course.
Or a space marine, or an Imperial guard plasma gunner..or a heavy tank...
They didn't employ ECM IIRC. They simply jammed it. WHich I freely admit is possible, trek races routinly jam thier enemies transporters during battle.
Um, jamming IS ECM.
You wouldn't die right off IIRC but would have a shortened lifespan, weaklness, etc. The Imperial guard could go thier but would start dieing off and would not be in shape to fight. Plus considering no human from the Enterprise would dare touch the sureface I doubt thier is a magic cure for it either. So hyperradition while blocking transporters seems a tad useless in a tatical engament.
Its evidence of low intensity radiation blocking transporters, frankly its just more evidence that tactically, Transporters are not really feasible as the magic bomb dispenser you seem to think they are.
Feds can hack into mines floating in subspace with nothing more then a tricorder.
When the Imperium builds its technology to even accept subspace transmissions, I'll let you know.

Otherwise, its actually far more likely that Federation vessels will be crippled by information warfare, they have a history of it I'm told, from alien satellites to rogue holodeck programs, to remote access from alien civilisations.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Gniops wrote: The superior weaponry and shielding of an Imperial vessel means that combat isn't even going to be an issue.

Imperial ships are heavily armoured, heavily shielded space vessels, with flexible weaponry. you say "floating gun platform" as though its ridiculous to imagine.
It isn't hard to imagine. They have sacrifised everything for as big as guns as possible housed with as much armor as possible. I say fed will fly circles around them.
With the quantative and qualitive superiority of Imperial weapons, and their own respectable acceleration, federation ships can flit about all they like. It won't really make a difference. A feddy ship could literally fire its phasers dry and not bother a Cruiser.
Well I'll leave the shipweapon debate to JMS, but the basic idea is valid.
As both likely denser materials and exotic material, that "victurium alloy", the veins of some ore running through the hills in Insurrection.
Yep one exotic alloy that can't be beamed and an exotic ore that blocks transporters. Which have appeared a scant few times in all the hours of trek so the odds that the imperium will be luckly enough to have a simlir substance in thier armor is low.
Alien technology in the from of the Iconian building as well.
Those were the ones that use netriumion in thier buildings right? I doubt Imperium ships are that massive else weapons would be a mute point.
naturally occurring low intensity radiation
You refering hyperraditon? I don't call lethal levels low.
x-ray bursts, solar radiation of other types etc all interfere
When did an x-ray burst effect it, and they compensated for the solar radiation bit so it's no big deal.
Are you honestly claiming that they are going to be able to beam bombs into something equipped not only with a giant power source, but with energy shields, ECM, superconducting armour plates etc ?
Off course not, well knock the shields down first, then beam in. Armor plates and ECM not designed to stop transporter beams shouldn't be a problem a reactors never stopped people from beaming onto the ship before.
52 disrupter banks and the power to use them is probably more than enough to crush any other vessel barring Borg cubes.
So you think it doesn't have torpedos?
Imperial ships are literally studded with weapons, and they don't fight like Trek ships, i.e. a few beams, a few small torpedo volleys, they pour out sustained firepower
I realise that. Thier giant gunplatforms. Thier whole purpuse is to fire massive guns for as long as possible.
they don't even need to hit the Federation ships (who doctrinally don't flit about like mad things, they knife fight BTW) very much
Feds ships have and demostrated the needed manuvablity to "flit about like mad things" and have far longer ranges then "knife fight".
The borg rape them, as will the Imperium
Maybe they have numbers and firepower on thier side. Such is life.
You are basically nothing of use here, Borg cubes manage to operate with 70% of their mass gone (perhaps you might prove that sometime ?) supposedly.
I would if i could but for the life of me I can't rememner which episode and I don't want to go digging around thorugh the episodes looking for a quote that ultimatly has nothing to do with the debat(fed+imps vs imperium)
So what ? An Imperial Cetacean class transport can do the same.
That is impressive. So is that restricted to only cetacean transports?

I dont' honestly know how to respond to this. I might start by pointing out that the Federation don't have any borg cubes, and are unlikely to be able to even bring down the shields of an Imperial vessel without massive superiority of numbers. with the offensive doctrine of Imperial vessels to operate in battlefleets, this is unlikely to occur.
Uh we're talking about an borg cubes not fed ships. You seemed to downplay the cubes ability to be shot to hell and keep on ticking. This has nothing at all to do with the real debat since niether side employs borg ships.
Warpstrafe simply does not occur.
Elan of Troyos(Tos) the klingon warpstrafes the Enterprise. Therfore it does.

And before you say it, TOS is cannon, you may not like it, but it is.
Not once does this happen against a target not at warp, the relative velocity makes it impossible
Since it happened I guess it's not so impossible :)
and given its a tactic of immense tactical benefit, why on earth does it never happen ?
Against a morden warp capable foe it's advantage would be minimal or against any target you plan on boarding since you would have a very small window for transporters.
No trigger guards, shoulder stocks, iron sights, scopes, ergonmically designed handles.
Well trigger guards would be nice, but I don't see that being a huge impact on the battlefield. It doesn't need iron sights or scopes and all phaser rifles follow enough of a gunish shape to realtivly point and shoot.
Never seen them, if they are from enterprise, then its pretty obvious it doesn't mitigate the massive step backwards everything took.
No Nemisie.
Off axis aiming probably contributes to the rather casual way Federation personel fire their weapons, the fact that their accuracy, even at close range is awful doesn't speak well for the value of the auto aiming technology.
Let's quite beating around the bush. Which specific incident of horrible acurracy are we dealing with.
Phasers vapourise soft humans, they mildly char anything else.

Do the math.
Or solid rock or anything inbetween. They only char things on lower settings.
In combat, the Federation doesn't use such a setting, clearly due to power requirements, or perhaps duration of the beam fired.

The "kill" setting for a phaser is the mild burn/taser shot, which will do jack to an armoured individual
They don't use them because 90% of the time setting one is plenty powerful enough. If Guardsmen can stand up to setting one, a redshirt just has to dial it up.
The same cannot be said for a lasguns effects on Federation troops and military personel, who don't come with shields as standard. Or any real military organisation at all for that matter.
Have I ever said the common redshirt would be immune to return fire? No. However the defenses he does have should be just as effective if not more so against lasgun weapontry.
Simply put, the Feddies will be shooting single beams at maxium power to hurt the line infantry of the Imperium, who will be trying not to laugh themselves to death when shooting back, or sitting inside a Battletank
Watching a single guy with a "gun" the size of a small remote blow up a guy to pulp and throw around anyone who was standing to close is not something I would laugh about.
No such armour even exists to my knowledge,
Light combat jacket exist might provide some protection to lasgun fire.
said that powerful energy weapons of the Imperial guard would counter energy shields, the "kill" setting of phasers isn't exactly energetic, and certainyl wouldn't require multi-megawatt power to produce.
Any shield would be designed to stop weapons on thier higher settings not thier lowest otherwise they would be easy to bypass. Since a phaser has far greater firepower then a lasgun the shield should hold easly.
Failing that, the Imperium has got plenty of bigger guns, it can probably deploy more battletanks to a location than the federation can dedicated troops.
Feds have bigger guns as well. Some designed for anti-veichal use.
Archer swept a continues beam through a tree, in a raking fashion, mimicing automatic fire, ?
He moved his gun from side to side with a continues beam. It was a phase pistol but it proves the tech can handle it nor is it a stetch to assume that if they really need it they can employ it.
why should technobabble even work when its not shooting incompetant materials like flesh and cloth ?
Because it's removed far more durable material then mere flesh and you have not provided a good reason why Imperium armor will resiest phasers better then lasguns.
Show me an armoured human being disintigrated by a phaser, otherwise its unlikely even Level Sparkly 12 is going to be particularly useful.
No body walks around in giant metal combat suits in trek.
Hell, in DS9 they try burning through a door with phaser/disruptor weaponry, and fail miserably, energy weapon resistent armour plating and weave should do nicely, never mind heavy powered plate.
That's in the trekverse of course we have armor against our own weapons. To put it bluntly why should guarsmen armor(for starters) handle phaser fire better when they can't stop lazgun fire which is far less powerful?
And such mechanisms are not used for the Sparkly setting, makes you wonder why doesn't it ?
Which one is "Sparkly setting"? Vape? Regarless this setting is more powerful then a lazgun.
The fact that some settings display some evidence of a particularly energy input does not endow any other setting with such an input.
That setting alone makes them more powerful. Babbling about technobabble to avoid phasers highend is pointless.
Yeah, because that was exactly what I was implying prat.
Then what are you arguing?
I think its obvious to even the most daft people that damaging ARMOUR is a little harder than damaging bare flesh.
Not stormies armor. They die as easly as thier unarmored combatents. The stuff is for show it has no real value.
Lasguns are combat effective at ranges of hundreds of meters, people with phasers equipped with stabilisers and auto-aiming miss at less than ten meters.
They also hit. So again unless guardsmen are all great marksmen both sides will hit and miss. That's life.
I honestly don't get what you think you are proving with the rest of it.
That blasters have weaker settings the cratering walls, but since you agree with it then we can drop that.
If auto-aiming and stabilisers produce the Trek weaponries accuracy, then they aren't exactly better off than if they all used flintlocks.
Any specific example?
Do you honestly not see how this is a good thing ?
Following the basic shape yes, but beyond that I don't see a huge advantage.
It isn't the same for Feds, for a start, the fact that Worf hefts a shoulder fired weapon with the effective yield of a small grenade launcher in Insurrection for shooting at range, instead of sweeping a phaser rifle in an arc on "kill" or widebeaming on "kill" or widebeaming on a high setting indicates that the weapons aren't capable of such actions either at that range or at all.
Widebeam for shortrange not longer ranges. As to why worf used the launcher I don't know the inunivear reason. One must expect glitches and such when dealing with shows.
They have a HUD, they have a networking and datalinking at a tactical and strategic level, visual sensors, regulated environment and NBC protection.
We are talking about stormies from Starwars right? they have none of that stuff. Zero. Some techno sunglass built into thier helmet, a radio, and a prayer. That it's. Feel free to provide evidence of thier "execllent equipment" in any of the movies, novelzations or scritps.
They have EXCELLENT equipment.
I'll take a redshirt and a tricorder over Stormtroopers get up. Or just about anything else.
Shoot a US marine with his own rifle, you'll probably kill him.

Body armour increases the chance of survival, and the severity of injuries.
If it stops nothing why have it?
I think its pretty likely that ST armour is probably proof against shrapnel, solid munitions of lower calibers, stun settings etc, but its always easier to destroy than it is protect.
Some protection against scrapnel thorugh I wouldn't want to test that, zero againt bullets except maybe the smallest of calibers, maybe stun but I wouldn't bet on it. Insort crude. For all of it's disadvantages it doesn't provide enough advantages.
Compare the Imperials and the Imperium with the pyjama suits of the Federation.
I always give Imp stormies a slight edge because of thier armor which is better then none, but it's still crude and I wouldn't want to use it.
I'm pretty sure I saw arrows rattling of standard stormy battle armour in ROTJ you know.
Yep an arrow bounced off, while another got one in the back of a trooper. that a 50% chance of armor piercing with stone age arrows. Not good odds at all.
Given that they have a HUD, its pretty likely that the stupid farmboy didn't know how to use his complex piece of equipment wouldnt' you say ?
They don't have huds and two trained stormies couldn't see Ben running past them.
Being able to see in the dark > being blind in the dark, with a bare head.
To bad no nightvision has ever been mentioned in them.
You can't come up with a damn thing can you ?
Oh I wouldn't say that. Using demo charges to collasp ground as it walks over, attack them when thier reloading munitions, fire off a photon torpedo at full power. Would I want to bet money these would work? Not really. As I said I would prefer to send heavy armor against them but I wouldn't dismiss fed infantry either.
I think you've misunderstood me, deliberately or otherwise.
If so I'm sorry. I didn't mean to misunderstand you.
Or a space marine, or an Imperial guard plasma gunner..or a heavy tank...
All are smaller then the one that caused some interference. I wouldn't bet on imperial guardsmen powerpack being useful in jamming.
Um, jamming IS ECM.
You mention ECM under jamming transporters impling I thought that an ememy naturally employing ECM would block transporters, which wouldn't work. If you simply meant that the imperium could developp ECM to block them I'm fine with that.
Its evidence of low intensity radiation blocking transporters, frankly its just more evidence that tactically, Transporters are not really feasible as the magic bomb dispenser you seem to think they are.
I wouldn't call lethal levels low inensity. If your titans have that bad of a reactor leak, you have problems. Thier not a magic bomb dispenser but neither are they a nonthreat you can ignore.
When the Imperium builds its technology to even accept subspace transmissions, I'll let you know.
Just refrencing thier skills. I consider connecting to something in another dimision pretty impressive.
Otherwise, its actually far more likely that Federation vessels will be crippled by information warfare, they have a history of it I'm told, from alien satellites to rogue holodeck programs, to remote access from alien civilisations.
The alien satelite transmitted a computer virus. A nasty little bug, the holdeck program had to use Picard secruty clearence to override overrun. I'm not sure of the remote acces from an alien civilisation. When was this.

Dragoon
Bridge Officer

Post by Dragoon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Imperium ground forces will beat the snot out of anything Trek or Wars can throw at them. They simply have more combat experience, more weapons, more people and mor effective heavy weapons. The Feds have some sort og ground troops, but they're not used to fighting the massive, planet spanning wars the Imperium does.

The Imps are better as they actually have vehicles, but their infantry has a distinct lack of support weapons. The Imperium has Space Marines, the Imp Guard, PDF...all equipped with flamethrowers, rocket launchers, heavy bolters and a variety of other nasty stuff. The Imperium is simply better at ground combat then the Feds and the Imps.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm noting some heat creeping into the argument here. Try to remain dispassionate here, please.

For the record, I think it's unlikely to come to information warfare, but if it does, the Imperium is in trouble from all hands. It isn't exactly noted for the liveliness of its research institutions or the detailed technological knowledge and programming creativity we see in the hands of astromech droids and Starfleet engineers.
Gniops wrote:Phasers vapourise soft humans, they mildly char anything else.
Actually - FYI - hand phasers can vape anything short of tritanium. Including duranium with enough work, and in Enterprise we see how well a duranium hatch can resist a close proximity quarter-kiloton mine.

It can be easily argued that the heavier WH40K vehicles, particularly those with void shields, will not have difficulty resisting hand phaser fire; however, neither light vehicles nor infantry can be expected to hold up under high-setting hand-phaser fire. For that matter, regular infantry can be expected to be nearly as vulnerable to blaster fire as lasgun fire, and thermal detonators and close air support would be nice.

I foresee mass production of many thermal detonators if the Empire feels its troops do not have enough firepower ... nothing like a nuclear hand grenade to up the ante.

Imperium ground forces are very formidable indeed, of course. They don't have to be immune to phaser fire to have an advantage on the ground; and nor will their advantages on the ground hold up as well if the unholy alliance has ships in the sky.
Warpstrafe simply does not occur. Not once does this happen against a target not at warp, the relative velocity makes it impossible, and given its a tactic of immense tactical benefit, why on earth does it never happen ?
I refer you to "The Battle" and "Elaan of Troyius." Tactical use of warp against targets that are not making use of warp does occur. I recommend you review the examples here, as you seem to be unfamiliar with them. Romulan plasma torpedos in "Balance of Terror" rapidly reach warp speeds, and are used extensively against both stationary and mobile targets in that episode.

It is quite understandable, of course, as the tactical use of warp drive in combat is not very common in DS9, or in any of the more memorable battle scenes - after all, if you can see both ships maneuvering around, as you can in most battles that people take care to remember, they are not FTL relative to one another.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm noting some heat creeping into the argument here. Try to remain dispassionate here, please.
Sorry JMS. Guess I got a little hot under the collar. I'll do my best to stay civil.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:54 pm

I realise this thread may be dead and all but I did feel bad not knowing thre refrence to what I was saying so here it is.
SHELBY
Projections suggest a Borg ship
like this one could continue to
function effectively even if
seventy-eight percent of it was
inoperable.
So there it is.