Take a look at this...

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Khas
Starship Captain

Take a look at this...

Post by Khas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Does this mean that nBSG has a chance against SW?

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Re: Take a look at this...

Post by The Dude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

I don't see how, nBSG weapons are all seen to be employed at short ranges, they have no shields, small yield nukes carried by fighters were a serious threat to a Battlestar.

nBSG is fairly low on the power scale IMO, SW, ST, 40K, SG, etc are all way above them.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Oh. I just thought that it said that because the rounds from mass-drivers bypassed shields that nBSG might have a chance. My mistake.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Well yeah but ships apparently have particle shields as well. Regardless nBSG isn't anywhere near the same scale, any of the powers I listed above can simply shoot them down outside their effective range.

It's a shame, cause I like nBSG (well the ships and stuff).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Several sources say that particle shields are rarely used/turned on. That said, when they're on, without a nuke spam, it's finished.
A Battlestar is an armoured supercarrier with lots of weapons as well. They couldn't stand against an ISD and would have to remain at a safe distance and engage the ISD with Vipers and Raptors.

I don't know where the mass drivers' muzzle speeds come from, but certainly not the ICS.
For the record, I estimated the muzzle velocity of the mass drivers on the Cylon Colony at 1.7 km/s.

You know, I wouldn't dismiss Battlestars' survival against large nukes fired by Basestars.

User1356
Padawan

Post by User1356 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:35 am

Khas wrote:Oh. I just thought that it said that because the rounds from mass-drivers bypassed shields that nBSG might have a chance. My mistake.
Game mechanics arent canon

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 am

Except if that description is found in the fluff material, and we all know that game mechanics, especially that which can be wanked in SW's favor are often treated as canon by certain Warsies. ;-)
-Mike