How would UFP in movie Aliens vs. Predator

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Jasonb
Jedi Knight

How would UFP in movie Aliens vs. Predator

Post by Jasonb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 am

How would Union Federation Planets team done in that mission archaeologists and found themselves in the same miss as what happen in that movies Aliens vs. Predators. How effect hand phaser and phaser rife be against them.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Re: How would UFP in movie Aliens vs. Predator

Post by Roondar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:25 am

I'm guessing the best thing for the Federation here is that they have portable scanners that actually work rather well instead of not having much in that way.

The phasers ought to do well enough, there is no indication that either the Aliens or the Predators have special immunities to weapons of any kind, let alone phasers.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:34 pm

We saw how effective the Predator's Plasma Casters were vs Aliens, so I'd say the team, with their Phasers, Tricorders and instant transportation out of the danger zone, would do very well.
Even without transporters, they should be able to detect the Aliens easily.
The Preds, not so sure.
Remember how much difficulty they had in detecting cloaked Jem'Hadar soldiers in DS9?
I see the Pred cloak as similar to the Dominon cloaks.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:13 am

Well, the Jem'Hadar shroud made for a perfect personal cloak. Predator cloaks didn't produce a perfect cloak, as the creature was still visible, albeit as a funny pixellated transparent figure. Carl Weathers (whatever the character's name was) and Arnold Schwarzenegger could still see it, the wrist blades weren't covered by it, and water disrupted it.

I haven't seen any of the crossovers. Did they change the effect?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Cocytus wrote:Well, the Jem'Hadar shroud made for a perfect personal cloak. Predator cloaks didn't produce a perfect cloak, as the creature was still visible, albeit as a funny pixellated transparent figure. Carl Weathers (whatever the character's name was) and Arnold Schwarzenegger could still see it, the wrist blades weren't covered by it, and water disrupted it.

I haven't seen any of the crossovers. Did they change the effect?
No, although AVP: Requiem is more faithful than AVP.
Of course both films have added stuff.

The question is what happens if one UFP crewmember gets impregnated as they explore the egg room? They won't exactly be cold blooded enough to ask for transportation, and the facehuggers are nasty fast hoppers.

The question also is if teleportation works that deep, once the pyramid is totally sealed.

Besides, phasers will be good enough, even better than rifles, but since they're usually set on mere DET, they'll boil acid up, and we've seen what acid splashes do. The pyramid is all cramped tunnels, small turns and vicious traps.

That said phasers will probably allow to burn through the rocks that block the exit.

Besides, if there's a ship to beam the crew up, what about the Predator mothership then?
They're quite tough.

A Predator's shoulder plasma caster is good enough to vapourize a whole head and the neck.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:44 am

Beaming in through thick stuff is a bit of a unresolved issue. Sometimes (ST:II for instance) there is no real trouble beaming people through -assumed to be- quite a bit of rock, sometimes it is.

Sometimes they cut holes for transport, sometimes it just works.

--

This predetor ship sounds interesting though.. Just how tough is it?
The average UFP science vessel isn't so tough (Against in-universe threats anyway. Be aware that -depending on how strong you make in-universe stuff- they might still be rather tough all things considered), but if they came on a bigger ship it might be more interesting.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

The ship is big. Also, something I didn't check, but apparently you're supposed to even see smaller ships hooked to the mothership, and these small ones are of the model from PREDATOR.
On this '09 trailer for Sega's and Rebellion's FPS, you see the mothership and it's cloak capable, although it doesn't seem to be better than the one worn by hunters.
In the first AVP movie, the ship had a forward beam with some NDF property that was used to fire a short salvo that dug through a few miles of ice or something, with impeccable precision (the beam was precisely what was necessary to end the tunnel in the cave, where the entrance to the pyramid was). The energy for that, however, wouldn't be more than several kilotons, but they weren't trying to blow stuff up.
Scaling up from the shoulder cannons, that would be worth it.
That or the explosive forearm console, which in AVP we saw could work on its own. In the movie, it destroyed the pyramid and carved a new crater. The whole frozen plateau, extending to several hundred meters beyond the sloped entrance to the tunnel, collapsed into an abyss (and bitchy the queen somehow managed to get out of that on her own feet).
The EU has a lot of material that shows Predator war gear. I have never been into that stuff enough to list it by name, but it's not hard to imagine high tech stuff meant to kill en mass, instead of party hunting. Yet their stuff for party hunting is damn nasty.
Imagine a military grade weapon with the same alloys that pierce our best metals, the homing Frisbee of death.
Spacebattles.com has some topics about Yautjas and their war gear I think.
They also have dissolving substances that can literally magi-melt large amounts of matter (one vial dropped in a pool made the whole thing bubble up iirc).

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:A Predator's shoulder plasma caster is good enough to vapourize a whole head and the neck.
"Explode", not vaporize. If you vaporize a head then there will be nothing but small bits left of the body, and everybody nearby will behave like they've just stood next to a bomb.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:05 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:A Predator's shoulder plasma caster is good enough to vapourize a whole head and the neck.
"Explode", not vaporize. If you vaporize a head then there will be nothing but small bits left of the body, and everybody nearby will behave like they've just stood next to a bomb.
I wasn't literal, but I reckon that it's a term that should not be used lightly here. :p

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:20 am

I think the real question is Kirk vs. Alien Queen.

One way or the other, that would not end well.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Well, duh. Kirk armed with even a Type-I phaser set to disintegrate would end that little hive real quick.
-Mike