Are the Asgard beam weapons some form of ubber phaser?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Are the Asgard beam weapons some form of ubber phaser?

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:39 pm

I cannot help to compare the Asgard beam weapons with which the Asgard upgraded the Daedalus just prior to their demise look nearly identical in many respects to ST phaser beams. The beams might be wider for certain but the color and effects seem similar though, any thoughts on this?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:29 am

What makes you think the color and effects are the same as Star Trek phasers, much less that it's firepower is "uber"?
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:32 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:What makes you think the color and effects are the same as Star Trek phasers, much less that it's firepower is "uber"?
-Mike
The fact that it can somehow dispatch with the Ubber Ori Toilet ships with ease or to be more precise their Ubber shields...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 pm

That is still fairly meaningless with regards to your question, and you still did not directly answer mine. What makes you think that the Asgard beam weapons are phasers, or similar to them?
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:05 pm

And why the hell are you saying 'ubber'?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:12 pm

It's short for rubber. Rubber phasers, you see.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:56 pm

l33telboi wrote:It's short for rubber. Rubber phasers, you see.
They tend to bounce off shields, those ones.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
l33telboi wrote:It's short for rubber. Rubber phasers, you see.
They tend to bounce off shields, those ones.
And pretty much everything else on top of that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:25 pm

Ah, but they're highly useful for doing cool looking trick shots, like bouncing a beam off an asteroid and hitting a ship in the behind where it's shields might be weaker!
-Mike

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Indeed. But I believe they were first invented by the Asgard for the sole purpose of playing intergalactic pong.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:51 am

l33telboi wrote:Indeed. But I believe they were first invented by the Asgard for the sole purpose of playing intergalactic pong.
Pong, widely theorized as being a contraction of poontang, relative to notes found in the Ancient database about the Arcturian project (later known as Arcturus project), as described in Ruunic Codex 4416, chapters 37, 38 and 41 (and perhaps 42 but I'm not sure).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 am

l33telboi wrote:Indeed. But I believe they were first invented by the Asgard for the sole purpose of playing intergalactic pong.
You mean the Ancients didn't invent it? ;-)
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:07 am

Only the Asgard could invent a game based on an equal but harmless competition. The Ancients instead made the first Lemmings game so they could screw a lot of people over at once.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Narsil wrote:Only the Asgard could invent a game based on an equal but harmless competition. The Ancients instead made the first Lemmings game so they could screw a lot of people over at once.
Or at least the few who where turned into those silly "don't pass me" lemmings and left alone when the level ended.

GStone
Starship Captain

Re: Are the Asgard beam weapons some form of ubber phaser?

Post by GStone » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 pm

PunkMaister wrote:I cannot help to compare the Asgard beam weapons with which the Asgard upgraded the Daedalus just prior to their demise look nearly identical in many respects to ST phaser beams. The beams might be wider for certain but the color and effects seem similar though, any thoughts on this?
Well, to bring this back on topic, the end effect might be the same. Many energy weapons in SG are plasma weapons, like jaffa staffs. I believe that the supposedly 'fake' energy weapon at that one science conference was also a plasma weapon. Now these 2 aren't proof positive the asgard would have it, however the ancients did devise a weapon, which was a side effect of a power source (project arcturus). This, too, is also not proof positive, but they were allies with the asgard. The end result could be a heat or heat-like effect, but the mechanism can be different. What would be more phaser-like would be Janus' secret door that destabilizes the wall material without the heat-like effects, but it puts the stuff back together.