Are the Asgard beam weapons some form of ubber phaser?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Roondar wrote:
Narsil wrote:Only the Asgard could invent a game based on an equal but harmless competition. The Ancients instead made the first Lemmings game so they could screw a lot of people over at once.
Or at least the few who where turned into those silly "don't pass me" lemmings and left alone when the level ended.
It's possible that the exploding terrorist Lemmings were actually growing those timed explosive tumors.
Damn, that was a truly masterpiece of an episode there. :/

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Umm... Wow! I get temporally disconnected from the internet and the phone service for a little more than a week and the world goes to hell in a handbasket! To answer the question Ubber means Super in German.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Well, your absence caused some good jokes without it being cleared up.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:57 pm

PunkMaister wrote:Umm... Wow! I get temporally disconnected from the internet and the phone service for a little more than a week and the world goes to hell in a handbasket! To answer the question Ubber means Super in German.
It's actually spelled 'über' or 'ueber', not 'ubber'. Ubber is a misspelling.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:53 am

So like, uh... what about the actual topic? PunkMaister, what about phasers and Asgardian beam that make them look or seem to be phasers to you? So far, no one is taking it too seriously.
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:So like, uh... what about the actual topic? PunkMaister, what about phasers and Asgardian beam that make them look or seem to be phasers to you? So far, no one is taking it too seriously.
-Mike
At least initially they looked very phaser like in how they looked and behaved latter on the show they just made them look like Ori beams for some unexplained sniglet of the universe (maybe they simply looked a bit too much like phasers and someone protested of some kind of infringement?)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:34 am

I wouldn't know. Do you have any links to screencaps that would illustrate the point that you're trying to make about the Asgard beam weapons?
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:04 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I wouldn't know. Do you have any links to screencaps that would illustrate the point that you're trying to make about the Asgard beam weapons?
-Mike
At this time I do not have any decent screencaps and the intermittent connection problems make it very very difficult to try it that way but I can give a link from another thread to a YT video featuring SG space battles some using that particular beam, here it is: Stargate ship battle part 2

Hope that helps...

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm

heh,

Asgard Beams look like TOS phasers

Ori beams look like TNG+ phasers

Enosh
Padawan

Post by Enosh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I wouldn't know. Do you have any links to screencaps that would illustrate the point that you're trying to make about the Asgard beam weapons?
-Mike
At this time I do not have any decent screencaps and the intermittent connection problems make it very very difficult to try it that way but I can give a link from another thread to a YT video featuring SG space battles some using that particular beam, here it is: Stargate ship battle part 2

Hope that helps...
I realy don't get the comparison, yeah the guys doing the SG CGI were probably influenced by the ST ones, realy nothing strange about that, ST disruptors on romulans and klingons look a lot like TLs from SW.

there are only that many way you can represent energy weapons in sci-fi

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Enosh wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
-Mike

Hope that helps...
I realy don't get the comparison, yeah the guys doing the SG CGI were probably influenced by the ST ones, realy nothing strange about that, ST disruptors on romulans and klingons look a lot like TLs from SW.

there are only that many way you can represent energy weapons in sci-fi

Oh well I'm such a fan of the 3 franchises I'm always trying to find links between the 3...
BTW: Stargate makes no excuse whatsoever when it comes to the design of the Earth ships bridges and their look being modeled after Trek (after a fashion) in fact when The Prommie (Prometheus) was introduced O'Neal wanted to name it "The Enterprise". :D

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 am

Flectarn wrote:heh,

Generally they do resemble them, but there are differences in the effects and speeds of the beams. So no, I would have to weigh in and say that they look similar, but are not the same weapon.
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Flectarn wrote:heh,

Generally they do resemble them, but there are differences in the effects and speeds of the beams. So no, I would have to weigh in and say that they look similar, but are not the same weapon.
-Mike
Well as I recall from the movie"The Wrath of Khan" TOS era phasers damage on unshielded hulls is very similar to a high powered laser cutting thru a thick pane of steel. Both Asgard and Ori beams have a similar slicing and dicing effect...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:00 am

Except that the phasers in ST2: TWoK are shown in a kind of alternating pulsing mode, and leave carbon-scored gouges in the hull. You can see this here (you have to cut and past the following URLs since Trekcore does not allow hotlinking):

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albu ... ok0965.jpg

...and here:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albu ... ok0989.jpg

We also have a Dominon (likely Cardassian) hit on the USS Majestic as seen in "Sacrifice of Angels" (DS9, Season 6) at time index 0:56 in this YouTube video, which shows a phaser beam punching through the hull of the Miranda class starship's saucer section and causing widespread vaporization and melting of the ship's structure. Compare those to the video you linked to the Asgard based weapons.
-Mike