Why did the UFP never came up with subdermal locator beacons

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Why did the UFP never came up with subdermal locator beacons

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 am

I'm rather surprised that the UFP apparently never came up with the idea of placing such beacons in their personnel instead relying on comm badges that could easily get lost or simply taken away if captured. A subdermal implant would not be so easily found in fact unless whoever captures them has intel on the subject they would have no idea is even there for example in Stargate they are a standard issue and the only instance in which one was removed was when Athena captured Vala and had knowledge of them her host being a former member of the Trust.

So any idea as to why the UFP never adopted such a thing?

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:05 am

• privacy

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:
  • privacy
Bollocks! They do not interfere at all with the privacy of SGC teams...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
  • privacy
Bollocks! They do interfere with information privacy and informational self-determination of SGC teams...

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
  • privacy
Bollocks! They do interfere with information privacy and informational self-determination of SGC teams...
No they do not because no one is monitoring them 24/7 nice CopOut try though...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:53 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: Bollocks! They do not interfere at all with the privacy of SGC teams...
No they do not because no one is monitoring them 24/7 nice CopOut try though...
And those, who have such devices implanted can always be sure, that the potential to monitor them 24/7 is never abused because ... ?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote: And those, who have such devices implanted can always be sure, that the potential to monitor them 24/7 is never abused because ... ?
Because the US government is not interested in monitoring their private lives not to mention that the things only transmit a locator beacon not eavesdrop or anything like that. By your logic we should not even use the internet or even computers as they can too be easily monitored by anyone technically savvy enough. Heck your cellphone can be traced to your actual location nowadays and even be used to eavesdrop without you even knowing it.

Is a calculated risk that out weights the cons of not having one in a dangerous universe filled with hostile aliens trying to kill/capture you...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:22 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote: And those, who have such devices implanted can always be sure, that the potential to monitor them 24/7 is never abused because ... ?
Because the US government is not interested in monitoring their private lives ...
Ever heard of the unconstitutional PATRIOT Act?

PunkMaister wrote:... not to mention that the things only transmit a locator beacon not eavesdrop or anything like that ...
Irrelevant. It would be possible to monitor your whereabouts 24/7.

PunkMaister wrote:... By your logic we should not even use the internet or even computers as they can too be easily monitored by anyone technically savvy enough. Heck your cellphone can be traced to your actual location nowadays and even be used to eavesdrop without you even knowing it ....
That's not the logic conclusion but your attempt to construct a false dilemma.
PunkMaister wrote:Is a calculated risk that out weights the cons of not having one in a dangerous universe filled with hostile aliens trying to kill/capture you...
That's your opinion.
Can you accept, that other people have other opinions -
  • - especially in a universe, where sensors are already able to monitor individual persons from great distances, so that the additional advantage of such devices, permanently implanted, may be very limited and can't justify the disadvantage for information privacy and informational self-determination?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote: That's your opinion.
  • - especially in a universe, where sensors are already able to monitor individual persons from great distances, so that the additional advantage of such devices, permanently implanted, may be very limited and can't justify the disadvantage for information privacy and informational self-determination?
Bull! ST Sensors cannot determine who is who that's why they use the comm badges to determine the location of a member in a ship if they do not answer back etc.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Is that your only answer?
Can I assume, that you have conceded the other points, before I answer your last objection?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:Is that your only answer?
Can I assume, that you have conceded the other points, before I answer your last objection?
I have not conceeded anything you mentioned the Patriot Act Oh goodness! The government is not recording and keeping the conversations of every individual in the nation. Have you ever heard of Echelon? It is a system that is mantained by the US, the UK and Canada and monitors just about every form of communicatiion but is fully automated and it only records and tags conversations, posts, emails etc that are deemed suspicious say for example if they contain words such as attack, bomb and so on. Even then a lot of it uis discarded as a lot of it probably end up being parts of fanfictions, books and so on of people collaborating to write them.

I will only concede that there are people like you overly concerned with privacy but in reality what they want is anonymity and that is something else entirely different.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:Is that your only answer?
I have not conceeded anything you mentioned the Patriot Act Oh goodness! The government is not recording and keeping the conversations of every individual in the nation. Have you ever heard of Echelon? It is a system that is mantained by the US, the UK and Canada and monitors just about every form of communicatiion but is fully automated and it only records and tags conversations, posts, emails etc that are deemed suspicious say for example if they contain words such as attack, bomb and so on. Even then a lot of it uis discarded as a lot of it probably end up being parts of fanfictions, books and so on of people collaborating to write them.

I will only concede that there are people like you overly concerned with privacy but in reality what they want is anonymity and that is something else entirely different.
And would that not contradict your claim, that "the US government is not interested in monitoring their private lives" and that therefore there is no reason to fear, that "the potential to monitor them 24/7 is abused"?

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:24 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote: That's your opinion.
Bull! ST Sensors cannot determine who is who that's why they use the comm badges to determine the location of a member in a ship if they do not answer back etc.
Of course ST sensors can pinpoint an exact individual.

They have done so on more than one occasion. You know, those scenes where <random crew member> is slowly and menacingly surrounded by other humans/humanoids but has lost his combadge. Lucky him the scanners pick him up in the nick of time and beam him to safety just as the bad guys lunge at him with their <random bladed or blunt weapon>.

They use the combadges because when they scan for persons without them it takes them more time/resources than they'd like and using the badges neatly solves that issue. Not because they can't pinpoint exact people.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Although, Roondar, there were greater limitations to sensor capabilities in the past, but at the end of TNG and during DS9 and Voyager, ST sensors have shown exactly what you mention on numerous occasion.

And WILGA is right, our geverning bodies have shown us time and time again their willingness to ignore our right to privacy when they, or some of their members, feel like it.

I would not want to have such a chip implanted.
And Punkmaister, when I use a cellphone and/or the internet, I know there is such a possibility, but it is one I choose to risk, rather then having it imposed on myself...

Free self-determination...

And we are talking about a society that doesn't really like artificial implants or limbs, even though they are proven to work like a charm (Nog's leg)...

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:And would that not contradict your claim, that "the US government is not interested in monitoring their private lives" and that therefore there is no reason to fear, that "the potential to monitor them 24/7 is abused"?
No it does not this people work for the government, the military in the first place. The implants are not designed nor used for eavesdropping but to locate a missing crew member quickly if the need arises such as that person being kidnapped or in peril.