Hyperspace in general how to make it sense of it all?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Hyperspace in general how to make it sense of it all?

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 am

Even though is a given that Hyperspace is basically some sort of separate dimension where ships travel thru to go faster from point A to B the differences that each Scifi universe have can be maddening! Especially if someone is trying to write a crossover fanfic or something along those lines.

Anyway there ars some that are so different from the rest such as B5 hyperdrive that I will not touch in this thread however Star Wars and Stargate are a different story all together.

Take for example the limitations that SW hyperdrive has when it comes to gravitational shadows and the near absolute lack of such limitations on SGverse hyperdrive, yet there is also plenty of similarities that could point that it very well might be the same type of dimension only seen thru very different layers and thus different properties. Say SW vessels travel thru a very superficial layer of this dimension and thus are still bound by real space hazards such as gravitational shadows and such. SGverse hyperdrive operates on a much deeper layer where the effects of gravitational shadows are simply not as severe although it can still affect opening a hyperspace window if it's an extreme gravitational shadow like that of a black hole. Now while we have not seen what would happen to a ship that tries this my guess is something like what happened to the Wraith ships using the Attero device.

Well I'm just trying to come up with a unifying theory and that's the best I can gather so far what do you think?

stoneburner
Candidate

Post by stoneburner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:03 pm

The new topic button draws you in like a moth to the flame. It's like crack to you.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

LMAO

I am missing smilies for situations like this. :( :)

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm

stoneburner wrote:The new topic button draws you in like a moth to the flame. It's like crack to you.
Another SDN denizen pays a visit Oh Joy!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 am

If you two have a history, could you please knock it off... for all our sakes. :-/
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:06 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:If you two have a history, could you please knock it off... for all our sakes. :-/
-Mike
I don't know who he is But I'm assuming he is from SDN given his attitude...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:14 am

Probably, but the best thing to do is not to respond to him. In fact, you might want to consider PMing JMS and asking him to take action against this person as he/she is clearly just been following you around and harassing you on this board.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:20 am

Of course, someone being from SDN is rather flimsy ground for administrative action.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:46 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Of course, someone being from SDN is rather flimsy ground for administrative action.
But harrasing and derailing threads as he/she has done probably is...

Anyway back on topic does anyone has any thoughts on the theory proposed in this thread?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Of course, someone being from SDN is rather flimsy ground for administrative action.
Not that Stoneburner is from SDN, but this is the second instance that I know of where he/she has directly harassed PunkMaister in a thread, and that is grounds for taking action.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm

stoneburner wrote:The new topic button draws you in like a moth to the flame. It's like crack to you.
That would definitely be baiting.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:20 pm

So does anyone has anything to add that relates to the thread subject,let stop patronizing the troll that derailed it any longer...

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 pm

PunkMaister wrote:So does anyone has anything to add that relates to the thread subject,let stop patronizing the troll that derailed it any longer...
It sounds like a workable theory for a fanfic but there isn't really much that would tie it to the actual universes in any larger sense

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:17 pm

In my opinion, the time necessary to make the analysis is not worth the small payoff. Sorry.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:04 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:In my opinion, the time necessary to make the analysis is not worth the small payoff. Sorry.
What? I'm not asking to deeply analyze anything I'm asking if the theory I'm proposing looks sound or not?