Stargate funny videos and Spaceship battles!

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Stargate funny videos and Spaceship battles!

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:38 am

Just some jewels I've picked up from YouTube

The first is about the funniest SG:Atlantis short fan film animated video I've seen to date.
Stargate Atlantis video challenge

The other is about the best collection of Spaceship battles on a video from Stargate that I've seen so far...
Stargate ship battle part 2

Enjoy!

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Re: Stargate funny videos and Spaceship battles!

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:43 am

PunkMaister wrote:

The other is about the best collection of Spaceship battles on a video from Stargate that I've seen so far...

Enjoy!
So, when did SG start ripping off Trek?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 am

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:

Enjoy!
So, when did SG start ripping off Trek?
Umm... Explain?

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:52 am

PunkMaister wrote: Umm... Explain?
Your second video could have been any of the post-TOS ship battles. That is how similiar in style they were, right down to the swooping ships and brightly coloured beams.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 am

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: Umm... Explain?
Your second video could have been any of the post-TOS ship battles. That is how similiar in style they were, right down to the swooping ships and brightly coloured beams.
The beams in Trek are SG are still for the most part quite different as is the weapons systems, FTL you name it. The one that is strikingly similar to a Trek weapon is the Asgard beam weapon. One coould almost say is a superduped Phaser bank. Well O'Neill always wanted phasers and at least in some fashion he got em!

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:02 am

PunkMaister wrote: The beams in Trek are SG are still for the most part quite different as is the weapons systems, FTL you name it. The one that is strikingly similar to a Trek weapon is the Asgard beam weapon. One coould almost say is a superduped Phaser bank. Well O'Neill always wanted phasers and at least in some fashion he got em!
I'm not saying they function the same, I'm saying they look the same. You could swap the Defiant in there and not miss a beat, that is how similar they are.

I may dislike neoBSG but at least it portrays starship combat in a more interesting manner. And by interesting I mean different.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:19 am

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: The beams in Trek are SG are still for the most part quite different as is the weapons systems, FTL you name it. The one that is strikingly similar to a Trek weapon is the Asgard beam weapon. One coould almost say is a superduped Phaser bank. Well O'Neill always wanted phasers and at least in some fashion he got em!
I'm not saying they function the same, I'm saying they look the same. You could swap the Defiant in there and not miss a beat, that is how similar they are.

I may dislike neoBSG but at least it portrays starship combat in a more interesting manner. And by interesting I mean different.
If you mean as in different from how Star Wars, Trek and Stargate portrays space combat agreed. Still the Defiant being as though as it is it would find itself in a world of hurt against the weaponry in display there. From naquadah tipped missiles to Asgard beam weapons, Ancient drones and even the Wraith hive ships firepower is not something to sneeze at as evidenced by this picture by Mr. Oragahn.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 am

PunkMaister wrote:
If you mean as in different from how Star Wars, Trek and Stargate portrays space combat agreed. Still the Defiant being as though as it is it would find itself in a world of hurt against the weaponry in display there. From naquadah tipped missiles to Asgard beam weapons, Ancient drones and even the Wraith hive ships firepower is not something to sneeze at as evidenced by this picture by Mr. Oragahn.
*insert eye rolling smiley here* Jesus craps man, try to stay with me. I care not a horses ass for what is going on behind the scenes in your pet universe. I am saying that the clips you showed me look exactly like a Star Trek battle and I'm curious as to when SG started the slide towards having pants filled with poop.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 am

The Corporal wrote:*insert eye rolling smiley here* Jesus craps man, try to stay with me. I care not a horses ass for what is going on behind the scenes in your pet universe. I am saying that the clips you showed me look exactly like a Star Trek battle and I'm curious as to when SG started the slide towards having pants filled with poop.
Since they began showing large scale space battles which would be about season 8. But some scenes like the one of the Asgard vessels destroying the Rep ship are from much earlier than that. I have no idea what to make of your pants filled with poop analogy!

For somebody that likes Trek you sound like you hate how they depict space combat and is appalled at someone emulating it in some way or form in another universe. Besides is not really that different from combat in Star Wars either with ships firing and dodging every which way, I really fail to see what the big issue is...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:11 am

PunkMaister wrote:
Since they began showing large scale space battles which would be about season 8. But some scenes like the one of the Asgard vessels destroying the Rep ship are from much earlier than that. I have no idea what to make of your pants filled with poop analogy!
I'm asking when it started to suck, seeing as I checked out about Season Three after moving.
For somebody that likes Trek you sound like you hate how they depict space combat and is appalled at someone emulating it in some way or form in another universe. Besides is not really that different from combat in Star Wars either with ships firing and dodging every which way, I really fail to see what the big issue is...
Who says I like either SW or ST, in fact I'm rather disgusted with them both and think they've descended into generic sci-fi. And I don't care for the depiction of space combat in either franchise, IMO the best scenes where in TOS. Where you couldn't see anything and had to fill in the blanks yourself.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 am

The Corporal wrote:Who says I like either SW or ST, in fact I'm rather disgusted with them both and think they've descended into generic sci-fi. And I don't care for the depiction of space combat in either franchise, IMO the best scenes where in TOS. Where you couldn't see anything and had to fill in the blanks yourself.
So I take it you simply do not like space battles period. The TOS did not have any because on their budget they could not even afford a landing craft.

But that's your opinion alone and in fact most people like such high speed and action space battles and especial effects. The drones and how they go and seek a target out as seen in the video is pretty original and looks nothing like in Trek or Wars so is not like they do not have any original elements either...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 am

PunkMaister wrote:
So I take it you simply do not like space battles period. The TOS did not have any because on their budget they could not even afford a landing craft.
Show me where I said that.
But that's your opinion alone and in fact most people like such high speed and action space battles and especial effects. The drones and how they go and seek a target out as seen in the video is pretty original and looks nothing like in Trek or Wars so is not like they do not have any original elements either...
And I never said it was anything but my opinion.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

The Corporal wrote:Show me where I said that.
Ask and you shall receive:
The Corporal wrote: IMO the best scenes where in TOS. Where you couldn't see anything and had to fill in the blanks yourself.
Basically with that statement you clearly indicated you simply abhor spacebattles all together and prefer to leave them to the imagination.

People long ago had to imagine people fighting monsters in movies because they had no way to bring them to the screen I suppose given what you have said you have a beef with that too, oh well to each his or her own.
The Corporal wrote:And I never said it was anything but my opinion.
And I was stating that your opinion does not represent the view of the majority or heck even an infinitesimal minority in this case.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 pm

PunkMaister wrote: Ask and you shall receive:
The Corporal wrote: IMO the best scenes where in TOS. Where you couldn't see anything and had to fill in the blanks yourself.
Basically with that statement you clearly indicated you simply abhor spacebattles all together and prefer to leave them to the imagination.

People long ago had to imagine people fighting monsters in movies because they had no way to bring them to the screen I suppose given what you have said you have a beef with that too, oh well to each his or her own.
Yeah I couldn't possibly have meant that I don't like battles in Trek as opposed to you claiming I don't like battles at all. *insert eye-rolling smiley*
And I was stating that your opinion does not represent the view of the majority or heck even an infinitesimal minority in this case.
I can't imagine why SGA got canned then, seeing as its super-awesome fantastico.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:58 pm

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: Ask and you shall receive:

Yeah I couldn't possibly have meant that I don't like battles in Trek as opposed to you claiming I don't like battles at all. *insert eye-rolling smiley*
I can't imagine why SGA got canned then, seeing as its super-awesome fantastico.
Not because of ratings I can tell you that much. The top dogs just wanted the show canned in favor of insipid and cheap reality shows and off course wrestling, honestly the direction the Scifi channel has taken sucks monkey balls.