Could SG hyperdirves be super advanced Warp Drives?

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Could SG hyperdirves be super advanced Warp Drives?

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:55 pm

The idea came to me when I realized that Warp drives essentially creates a sort of subspace bubble in real space for the ship to travel faster than light and in the case of SG hyperdrives they open a window into Subspace itself and allow you to travel in it. If anything it looks to me like the next logical step to what Warp drive essentially is! So what do you think?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 am

Transwarp is the next step, and if you remember the episode Grace, the Prometheus cast a bubble that put it somehow out of phase, ready to enter the hyperspace. That said, that was just another piece of technobabble worth of of Trek's worst, because then evading an enemy would just require phasing out like that.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:19 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Transwarp is the next step, and if you remember the episode Grace, the Prometheus cast a bubble that put it somehow out of phase, ready to enter the hyperspace. That said, that was just another piece of technobabble worth of of Trek's worst, because then evading an enemy would just require phasing out like that.
Transwarp still works on the same exact principle as warp does of creating a subspace bubble in real space. I took the leap of SG hyperspace being the next logical step because it is essentially actually traveling thru Subspace.

I do not recall the Prommie having to phase itself out to enter hyperspace, and we do not see that in latter BC-303 models either when they enter hyperspace.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Borg Transwarp drives work like the Stargate drives.
They create a bubble, but then immerse the ship completely in subspace...

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Borg Transwarp drives work like the Stargate drives.
They create a bubble, but then immerse the ship completely in subspace...
Yes but as I recall the Borg built some sort of conduits so they could travel thru subspace like that which is why Janeway went after the queen in the final episode. To get access to a conduit that would take them home. So yes they do use subspace but SGverse Hyperdrive does not need such conduits as it just builds it's very own conduit or bubble around the ship or ships themselves as evidenced when they tow other ships thru hyperspace.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Actually, Punkmaister, the Borg have two types of Transwarp drives.

One uses conduits (and is thought to be faster) and the other simply uses a Transwarp drive on the ship, without the need for conduits.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Actually, Punkmaister, the Borg have two types of Transwarp drives.

One uses conduits (and is thought to be faster) and the other simply uses a Transwarp drive on the ship, without the need for conduits.
Still the point is they seem to need conduits to travel faster and that is not the case with SG hyperdrives.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Punkmaister wrote:Still the point is they seem to need conduits to travel faster and that is not the case with SG hyperdrives.
Funny, reading your first post, I thought the point was simply asking if SG Hyperdrive was the next logical step in ST Warp dvellopment, to which I replied that ST already had that, it was called Tanswarp, and that it functioned pretty much like the SG Hyperdrive.

I never compared speeds, you're the one who brought speed up in your later post.
Even if the Borg "conduit-less" Transwarp is slower, it still acts like the SG Hyperdrive.
That was my point...

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Punkmaister wrote:Still the point is they seem to need conduits to travel faster and that is not the case with SG hyperdrives.
Funny, reading your first post, I thought the point was simply asking if SG Hyperdrive was the next logical step in ST Warp dvellopment, to which I replied that ST already had that, it was called Tanswarp, and that it functioned pretty much like the SG Hyperdrive.

I never compared speeds, you're the one who brought speed up in your later post.
Even if the Borg "conduit-less" Transwarp is slower, it still acts like the SG Hyperdrive.
That was my point...
Yeah sorry my point is that they could get at some point to what SGverse hyperdrive works and functions like but are not quite there yet.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

SG hyperdrives work with a phase shift from normal matter/energy, as a basis for the travel. I forget the name of the ep, but the one where the Promie's crew is caught in a 'nebula' with an alien ship and all the crew is gone on the other ship and there's just Carter and who/whatever was talking with her had Carter explain that a partial start up of the hyperdrive would cause the promie and the other ship to partially go outside normal space-time. After the process started, we saw both ships were partially transparent. And, when one has a shot of hyperspace with a traveling ship, the area around the ship can partially see normal space. It would also explain the start up/shut off jolts of the engine.

But, as was demonstrated by the Atlantis city ship, this is a forced phased state and not permanent. If the engine runs out of power, the ship will fully rephase back in line with normal space-time. And as also demonstrated by the lantean anti-hyperdrive weapon, 'where' you phase into hyperspace can be altered to make your ship blow up upon entry. Each race's hyperdrive puts you into a different 'position' inside hyperspace. Exactly how the weapon could transmit whatever it used throughout the glaxay so quickly is unknown. It might have to do with what subspace is for them or something with the emission of the weapon itself.

However, I don't see something similar possible for trek based warp. The closest to that is the omega molecule or subspace weapons, but they work on fucking up regions of space or just using any warp drive at all, not a particular type of warp drive or a certain portion of subspace.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 am

GStone wrote:SG hyperdrives work with a phase shift from normal matter/energy, as a basis for the travel. I forget the name of the ep, but the one where the Promie's crew is caught in a 'nebula' with an alien ship and all the crew is gone on the other ship and there's just Carter and who/whatever was talking with her had Carter explain that a partial start up of the hyperdrive would cause the promie and the other ship to partially go outside normal space-time. After the process started, we saw both ships were partially transparent. And, when one has a shot of hyperspace with a traveling ship, the area around the ship can partially see normal space. It would also explain the start up/shut off jolts of the engine.

But, as was demonstrated by the Atlantis city ship, this is a forced phased state and not permanent. If the engine runs out of power, the ship will fully rephase back in line with normal space-time. And as also demonstrated by the lantean anti-hyperdrive weapon, 'where' you phase into hyperspace can be altered to make your ship blow up upon entry. Each race's hyperdrive puts you into a different 'position' inside hyperspace. Exactly how the weapon could transmit whatever it used throughout the glaxay so quickly is unknown. It might have to do with what subspace is for them or something with the emission of the weapon itself.

However, I don't see something similar possible for trek based warp. The closest to that is the omega molecule or subspace weapons, but they work on fucking up regions of space or just using any warp drive at all, not a particular type of warp drive or a certain portion of subspace.
I think you are confusing cloaking tech with hyperdrive tech at no point we see ships becoming transparent before they jump into hyperspace. What we do see is a "window" opening before the ships enter hyperspace or exits it.

Here is a diagram of my theory as to how it all works:

And here's a view of so called hyperspace tunnels in both SW and SG:

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:49 pm

In your average SG ep, a window is used. However, in the ep I cited (Grace), she talks of putting a hyperspace bubble around the ship, which she says takes them out of space-time and then, we see the ship start to fade away.

CARTER: The hyperdrive won't fully engage because of the cloud but maybe it doesn't have to. If I can dial down the power flow to the hyperdrive emitter theoretically I should be able to cause a partial shift into hyperspace, essentially taking the ship out of the cloud's space time. Hopefully just enough to eliminate its effects on the sub light engines.

And for the visual, compare:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displa ... 53&pos=572

With...

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displa ... 53&pos=573