Could anybody ever write a Stargate ICS

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Could anybody ever write a Stargate ICS

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:42 pm

So is it possible that someone could be up to that task to walk up to MGM and propose to write such a book. There is one for SW and one for Trek so why cannot one exist for Stargate as well? It would really go a long way in explaing the tech and overall firepower, shield strenght questions that have plagued us fans of the franchise ever since it began.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:37 pm

I'd love to see a technical manual of some sort for Stargate, complete with pretty pictures and descriptions of the internals of the ships. But not because of some weird craving for big numbers. Tech manuals take away part of the fun of debating. Plus, they're almost exclusively at odds with what's actually shown in an episode.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 pm

l33telboi wrote:I'd love to see a technical manual of some sort for Stargate, complete with pretty pictures and descriptions of the internals of the ships. But not because of some weird craving for big numbers. Tech manuals take away part of the fun of debating. Plus, they're almost exclusively at odds with what's actually shown in an episode.
I do not care if the numbers are big or small just as long as the numbers are official and seen as canon by MGM.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:01 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
I do not care if the numbers are big or small just as long as the numbers are official and seen as canon by MGM.
Er...what would be the point of having something that does not match up with the show?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 pm

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
Er...what would be the point of having something that does not match up with the show?
Obviously for the numbers whatever they turn out to be would have to match as closely as possible what has been seen in the show...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Obviously for the numbers whatever they turn out to be would have to match as closely as possible what has been seen in the show...
Fair enough, your post just sounded like you didn't care as long as you had some numbers.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:25 am

PunkMaister wrote:
l33telboi wrote:I'd love to see a technical manual of some sort for Stargate, complete with pretty pictures and descriptions of the internals of the ships. But not because of some weird craving for big numbers. Tech manuals take away part of the fun of debating. Plus, they're almost exclusively at odds with what's actually shown in an episode.
If you're looking for official crap, you can check the official MGM magazine, which has official nonsense, of the official MGM Tech Journal illustrations, which has an equal amount of nonsense if not more.

The most accurate and yet wrong at some point, and above all non canon (now) are the RPG books by Alderaac, fairly detailed, and The Ultimate Visual Guide which I bought, with a disc inside and all that, quite very accurate, not too technical to rebut people. Now, it's clear it's not as complete as some sources it obviously is heavily inspired of.
It's actually a mix of a Visual Dictionary with a very few cross sections, which are just interesting to look at, but obviously failing at providing a concise and consistent enumeration of facts, notably heavily detailed Arduinna's handbook, although I wonder if she actually didn't write part of TUVG, although the author is Kate Ritter, affiliated to RDA's website, which has also a good amount of "introductional" data. This explains the preface in the book.

Anyway, only someone who's spent an awful amount of time on internet about SG could be able to come up with such a book.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:51 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Anyway, only someone who's spent an awful amount of time on internet about SG could be able to come up with such a book.
Know anyone like that?

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:51 am

Eh, my sentiments are with Corporal on this one.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:23 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Eh, my sentiments are with Corporal on this one.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say there, because if you would have read the whole thread you would have seen that what he said earlier came as a result of a misunderstanding of what I wanted when it comes to an Stargate ICS.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say there, because if you would have read the whole thread you would have seen that what he said earlier came as a result of a misunderstanding of what I wanted when it comes to an Stargate ICS.
My point is that it seems rather awfully pedantic of a request (which I hold as being the crux of Corporal's posts, and still see it as such) not to mention that there doesn't seem to be quite the demand for an ICS given the limited fanbase. I don't think the SW ICS is exactly a NY Times best seller list maker, and SW has a fanbase of 100's of millions at least (including casual fans).

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:38 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
My point is that it seems rather awfully pedantic of a request (which I hold as being the crux of Corporal's posts, and still see it as such) not to mention that there doesn't seem to be quite the demand for an ICS given the limited fanbase. I don't think the SW ICS is exactly a NY Times best seller list maker, and SW has a fanbase of 100's of millions at least (including casual fans).
Limited fanbase! Is that what you call millions of fans worldwide? That's rich! Now if you would have mentioned Firefly I might have believed you and even then...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:55 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Limited fanbase! Is that what you call millions of fans worldwide? That's rich! Now if you would have mentioned Firefly I might have believed you and even then...
The number of fans isn't really relevant beyond making the book viable financially. The question should be; "is there enough interest in such a book". Now you'll have to excuse me but I haven't seen that many fans trying to analyse the SGverse beyond a handful on SB, SFJ and on the odd occasion SDN.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
The number of fans isn't really relevant beyond making the book viable financially. The question should be; "is there enough interest in such a book". Now you'll have to excuse me but I haven't seen that many fans trying to analyse the SGverse beyond a handful on SB, SFJ and on the odd occasion SDN.
Actually quite a bit could get interested on the grounds that it is Stargate merchandise if just as a collector's item just as they have done with other Stargate written materials...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Actually quite a bit could get interested on the grounds that it is Stargate merchandise if just as a collector's item just as they have done with other Stargate written materials...
I'm sure there are interested people but how much of the fanbase is going to:
  • 1. Buy the book?
    2. How many do they need to turn a profit?
    3. Are SG fans like ST/SW fans that will buy anything with the label?
I'm sure the folks in charge of the show have already looked at the issue and seeing as I haven't found a SG Tech Guide at Chapters, that suggests to me that either the interest, will or profit isn't there. Give it a few years and perhaps there will be (I'm thinking a number of years after the show is done).