Defeat Celestial Being (they're from Gundam 00)

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Defeat Celestial Being (they're from Gundam 00)

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:37 am

This is simple. Find a faction, any faction, capable of defeating Celestial Being from Gundam 00.

My faction-by-faction analysis:

The Galactic Empire (Star Wars): Probably. It's doubtful that a TIE Fighter can really stand up to a Gundam with a GN particle drive; TIE Defenders and Missile Boats may have a chance. However the true trump card of the Empire is its sheer mass and numbers it can throw at Celestial Being: if we conveniently assume there isn't a meddling Rebellion that takes priority, then the Empire can throw everything they have at Celestial Being, and moreover they're less concerned about causalities than any of the Earth powers. If it takes 50 Star Destroyers to defeat Celestial Being, or more, then Palpatine can probably live with it. Moreover, if nothing else, since Celestial Being is basically tied to Earth orbit, just blast Earth with the Death Star and let the expanding debris field do the work (of course if this is the first Death Star, it will probably be quite vulnerable to Gundam attack. Fortunately the Empire has a rather plentiful stock of superweapons on hand :) )

The United Federation of Planets (Star Trek): not likely. Individual starships could probably stand toe-to-toe with Gundams as well as Earth forces mobile suits, or maybe even Earth forces Gundams, but that still means Celestial Being has an edge. Moreover, Starfleet doesn't have the resources of the Empire at their disposal, and once Starfleet takes casualties they'll probably call for a withdraw.

The Borg (Star Trek): Probably. Many of the advantages of the Empire transfer over: practically unlimited resources to throw at them plus a complete disregard for mounting casualties making up for any tactical deficiencies. Borg tractor beams may negate many of the acceleration advantages of Gundams, and the sheer size of a cube plus its shielding may make it resistant to even GN-based weapons. An interesting wildcard is their assimilation ability, not so much for assimilating Gundams but for assimilating Celestial Being personnel and reading their plans. Of course, the Borg would probably have thier eye on VEDA, Celestial Being's tactical computer, as well.

The Vong (Star Wars): Probably: Really, the Vong are pretty much like the Empire as far as Celestial Being would be concerned. Those Dovin Basals or whatever they are might be interesting though, especially given their gravity-specific properties (may they cancel out GN particles? Gundams might as well be dead in the water then)

The Imperium of Man (WH40K): Almost certainly. Once again, the IoM has the resources to just throw at Celestial Being to make up for any tactical deficiency...except there is no tactical deficiency. The firepower of an IoM battleship is probably not going to be a good thing for a Gundam.

The Orks (WH40L): Almost certainly and just because of their numbers. I'd really like to just see the look on Sumeragi's face when she tries to "intervene" on a species who makes war and pillaging their sole reason for existence, and is literally suicidal towards that cause. Plus, I don't think red makes Gundams go any faster ;)

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Defeat Celestial Being (they're from Gundam 00)

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:02 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:This is simple. Find a faction, any faction, capable of defeating Celestial Being from Gundam 00.

My faction-by-faction analysis:

The Galactic Empire (Star Wars): Probably. It's doubtful that a TIE Fighter can really stand up to a Gundam with a GN particle drive; TIE Defenders and Missile Boats may have a chance. However the true trump card of the Empire is its sheer mass and numbers it can throw at Celestial Being: if we conveniently assume there isn't a meddling Rebellion that takes priority, then the Empire can throw everything they have at Celestial Being, and moreover they're less concerned about causalities than any of the Earth powers. If it takes 50 Star Destroyers to defeat Celestial Being, or more, then Palpatine can probably live with it. Moreover, if nothing else, since Celestial Being is basically tied to Earth orbit, just blast Earth with the Death Star and let the expanding debris field do the work (of course if this is the first Death Star, it will probably be quite vulnerable to Gundam attack. Fortunately the Empire has a rather plentiful stock of superweapons on hand :) )

The United Federation of Planets (Star Trek): not likely. Individual starships could probably stand toe-to-toe with Gundams as well as Earth forces mobile suits, or maybe even Earth forces Gundams, but that still means Celestial Being has an edge. Moreover, Starfleet doesn't have the resources of the Empire at their disposal, and once Starfleet takes casualties they'll probably call for a withdraw.

The Borg (Star Trek): Probably. Many of the advantages of the Empire transfer over: practically unlimited resources to throw at them plus a complete disregard for mounting casualties making up for any tactical deficiencies. Borg tractor beams may negate many of the acceleration advantages of Gundams, and the sheer size of a cube plus its shielding may make it resistant to even GN-based weapons. An interesting wildcard is their assimilation ability, not so much for assimilating Gundams but for assimilating Celestial Being personnel and reading their plans. Of course, the Borg would probably have thier eye on VEDA, Celestial Being's tactical computer, as well.

The Vong (Star Wars): Probably: Really, the Vong are pretty much like the Empire as far as Celestial Being would be concerned. Those Dovin Basals or whatever they are might be interesting though, especially given their gravity-specific properties (may they cancel out GN particles? Gundams might as well be dead in the water then)

The Imperium of Man (WH40K): Almost certainly. Once again, the IoM has the resources to just throw at Celestial Being to make up for any tactical deficiency...except there is no tactical deficiency. The firepower of an IoM battleship is probably not going to be a good thing for a Gundam.

The Orks (WH40L): Almost certainly and just because of their numbers. I'd really like to just see the look on Sumeragi's face when she tries to "intervene" on a species who makes war and pillaging their sole reason for existence, and is literally suicidal towards that cause. Plus, I don't think red makes Gundams go any faster ;)
Empire-agreed

Yuuzhan Vong- Definitely, the Vong have the edge in that, they will make sure that when they make their move, it will be the first(and possibly last) time that the opponent s have seen them. They will also throw their entire force at a target if it means total victory. Gundams are made of metal, Grutchins could tear them apart. Dovin Basals do manipulate gravity and have been shown capable of moving moons and even planets out of their orbits. Just put a massive dovin basal on Earth and it will pull nthe moon and Celestial being to ground at several thousand kilometers per hour. That end sit right there.

Federation- agreed for the most part, but I give them a slightly better shot than you.

I have no knowledge of the other two.

Now, I have to find something that can destroy Celestial Being. hmm

Frieza(Dragon Ball Z)- He(she?) can destroy an entire planet with a single energy blast. How about every Dragon Ball Z cast member after the Frieza saga for that matter.

Umm, I'll get back to you on this.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:10 pm

...Unless there's been some significant change in Gundam 00 since season 1 ended, I don't see how Celestial Beign could stand up to even one capital ship from those factions.