SC vs. SW: Ground Combat

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

SC vs. SW: Ground Combat

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:54 am

Since the forum has been a bit slow, let's spice it up with something new.

On a random planet somewhere in the galaxy, the Grand Army of the Republic somehow manages to engage a force belonging to the Terran Dominion. The terrain is the same as in the last TCW episode, snowy and icy - basically we're talking about a snow covered planet much like Hoth, except with more turbulent whether.

Forces involved:

GAR:

Infantry:
* 200,000 Clone Soldiers
- 25,000 armed with gatling blasters
- 25,000 armed with rocket launchers

Scout vehicles:
* 10,000 BARC speeders

IFVs:
* 5,000 AT-STs

Heavy Armor:
* 2,500 AT-TEs
* 100 Juggernaughts

Air Support:
* 5,000 ARC-170 fighters
* 1,000 LAAT Gunships

TD:

Infantry:
* 150,000 Marines
* 25,000 Reapers
* 25,000 Marauders

Scout vehicles:
* 10,000 Vulture Hoverbikes

IFVs:
* 5,000 Goliath Walkers

Heavy Armor:
* 2,500 Crucio Siege Tanks
* 100 Thors

Air Support:
* 5,000 Wraith Fighters
- 1,000 with cloaking ability
* 1,000 Vikings

Yes, I know. A lot of numbers.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 am

How many of these clone troopers are ARC troopers? This is important as they are far more badass than the normal clone troopers.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:How many of these clone troopers are ARC troopers? This is important as they are far more badass than the normal clone troopers.
Well I had imagined them all to be just basic Clone Troopers, with the only thing changing being their gear.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 am

Is anything actually known about the Terran forces in Starcraft beyond what they can do in the game itself?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:55 pm

The Corporal wrote:Is anything actually known about the Terran forces in Starcraft beyond what they can do in the game itself?
Quite a lot. There are 8 novels, 2 mangas, 2 short-stories, various official webpages and manuals, various expansions and board-games and bla bla bla that gives us a pretty good idea on how stuff works outside game-mechanics.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm

So it's quite relevant to start an independant thread, SC: Terran Dominion, and drop the data over there.
All I know about Starcraft being a license which failed at having the rights to exploit AVP and then started borrowing from other material, including Warhammer40K. :)

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:04 pm

l33telboi wrote: Quite a lot. There are 8 novels, 2 mangas, 2 short-stories, various official webpages and manuals, various expansions and board-games and bla bla bla that gives us a pretty good idea on how stuff works outside game-mechanics.
Really? Wow, I should check that out. I just assumed it all ended with the video game.
So it's quite relevant to start an independant thread, SC: Terran Dominion, and drop the data over there.
All I know about Starcraft being a license which failed at having the rights to exploit AVP and then started borrowing from other material, including Warhammer40K. :)
IIRC they approached GW about making a WH40K game and got turned down, so they made their own version.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:25 pm

The Corporal wrote:IIRC they approached GW about making a WH40K game and got turned down, so they made their own version.
That's a bit the problem you get for trying to get a good license deal. I know FOX have been fucking over retentive about the A/P/AVP lore, and it's only recently (some three years) that two studios got the rights for exploitation (including a FPS).

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:50 pm

The Corporal wrote:Really? Wow, I should check that out. I just assumed it all ended with the video game.
I just recently posted something relevant on the latest released novel on SB. I suppose I could copy/paste that post here to give you some idea on what's what. It deals quite extensively with the Terrans and many of the units in this debate, so it should be a good start.
IIRC they approached GW about making a WH40K game and got turned down, so they made their own version.
A myth, I'm afraid.

Back in the days of the first warcraft game there was talk that the two had decided to cooperate and make a Warhammer Fantasy game, but that the plans ultimately fell through. So Blizzard changes a few things around and released Orcs and Humans instead.

Of course that's just rumors and hearsay, both GW and Blizzard have denied that it would have any basis in truth.

Starcraft has never had anything to do with WH40K.