MUT 2K Pilot Episode: Can you Replicate a Space Suit?

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
The Elder Dwoof
Padawan

MUT 2K Pilot Episode: Can you Replicate a Space Suit?

Post by The Elder Dwoof » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:58 am

(singing) In a not-too-distant forum, over on SDN, (LA LA LA)
Some PM's were flying back and forth, you know, the usual BS, then, (LA LA LA)
The other guy made a big boo boo, threatnin to toss it round like poo.
He needs to learn that's not his place, so we konked him on the noggin and we flew him into spaaaace!
If you're wonderin why we post this stuff, and other forum facts, (LA LA LA)
Just repeat to yourself 'it's just for fun' and sit down and relax...for Mystery Usenet Theater 2000!

(Pull back from the MUT2K Logo to show the evil lab. Freedo Dwol is removing the batteries from what appears to be a small lightsabre. Behind him, we see DARTH SERVO tied to a chair with a gag over his mouth. The Phone starts ringing. Dwol answers.)

Dwol: Hello? What, Rl'yeh? No, I WON'T accept the charges. You tell Ctulhu that if he won't accept MY collect calls, I won't accept his!...No, I don't care if you have to wake him up.

Cut to:

INT – TARDIS CONTROL ROOM

The Elder Dwoof is watching the previous scene on the monitor. A man with a pair of katanas over his shoulder is watching too.

Dwoof: Dwol, you evil maniac, who have you kidnapped this time?

Dwol (Putting down batteries and Sabre): Today I've got Darth Servo. We were having a little discussion about Trek Replicators, and he got a bit carried away, so I carried him away. Who's that, your new Companion?

Dwoof: Yes, I picked him up on planet Aragone. His name is Groo. He's interesting, if a bit slow of mind.

Dwol: Shall we begin?

Dwoof: OK, let's hear it.

Dwol presses a few buttons, and a tinny recording starts playing:
Dwol (Voice Over): have you SEEN Wyrms attempts to claim that a spacesuit couldn't be used as a radiation suit? If there's one thing there IS in space, its lots of radiation.

Servo (VO): I recall him say that the E-D clearly didn't have any in Ensigns of Command, not that they couldn't be used.

Dwol (VO): Oh, they have them (we know that from them using them in one of the movies)...

Servo (VO): The E-E isn't the E-D. By the time of the films, much of the Federation had finally pulled their heads out of their asses and realized they needed better equipment.

Same story between TOS and the start of TNG. The Federation greatly decreased its protective equipment; remember, they're trying to pretend Starfleet isn't really a military organization during this time.

Dwol (VO): Remember when Kirk had them just whip up a nazi uniform for McCoy? I'm pretty sure they don't keep those in stock. Let's see...Gladiator suits, Robin Hood outfits...Ah, here we are, Nazi colonel uniforms.

Servo (VO): You really think its just as easy to replicate a radiation suit as it would be to replicate a pair of nylon tights?

Dwol (VO): Spacesuit, not "radiation suit" It would require more matter from the ship's "replicator matter" store, and more energy, but otherwise, yes. Latinum is a special case (which is why the Ferengi and others use it for money), and pretty sure that Latinum isn't used to make spacesuits. Most of the materials in a spacesuit are metallic fabrics I think, with insulating materials and a vapor seal. I'm NOT an expert in Spacesuit manufacture, but the elements can't be as rare as Latinum or Dilithium.

Servo (VO): Latinum is hardly the only thing they can't replicate (LINKS TO SDN's REPLICATOR PROPOGANDA PAGE)

Dwol (VO): I see a number of errors in there...Picard, for example, didn't say the replicators couldn't MAKE Caviar, he said they "don't do it justice", which means he is a caviar snob...you know, the kind of person who swears up and down that bottled water is better than tap water, like in that episode of Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" show.

Also, in "The Squire of Gothos", Kirk plainly says that he can manufacture gemstones by the ton on his ship. obviously, Quark's gems are something special. And how do we know that the Nannite "Plant" on that planet isn't a microreplicator plant? Do you have the specifications on the facility hidden away somewhere?

I see nothing there that would preclude replicating a space suit.

Servo (VO): You've yet to demonstrate that they CAN. Stop it with these nitpicks that don't actually change the main point which is there are clear and obvious limits to replicators. Hello, they stated straight out they couldn't replicate ribosomes (even though we can clone them today).

As for the nannite plant, if they could be replicated, they wouldn't need a special facility for them, now would they? Your nitpick on caviar isn't even a nitpick since thats precisely what the analysis box said. I simply did a topic search in the SD.net data base for replicators.

You know, I'm about this close from posting these PMs of yours in your public thread
(Dwol clicks the recording off.)

Dwol: Guess we saved you the trouble there, didn't we? Never hand someone a gun unless you're SURE where they're going to point it.

Now then, let's pull up that replicator propoganda site, sort it by relevancy to the Spacesuit question, and see just how hard it would really be.

(Punches a bunch of buttons)
TNG Season 4, Ep# 85: Data's Day
BEVERLY: Now, the breakdown of the organic material found on the Transporter pad should be identical. Mitochondrial structure fits all general parameters... no change in the nucleotide bases... there's a slight discrepancy in the base pair sequence ... chemically, these are identical ... however, the organic sample from the Transporter is showing numerous single-bit errors... like replicated material.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they produce single-bit errors, indicating that the replicated product is not identical to the original.
Dwoof: You actually got one right! Congratulations! Replicators produce errors, meaning that they don't always put the right atom in the right place. Thus, there are detectable differences in the molecular structure of replicated material if you have good enough scanners to detect it.
TNG Season 1, Ep# 4: Code of Honor
PICARD VO: Captain's log, stardate 41235.25. Our location planet Ligon II, source of a rare vaccine needed on Federation planet Styris IV.
PICARD: Meanwhile, you were testing whether we can replicate the vaccine...

BEVERLY: And we can't! Their sample works fine when used as an injection, but it becomes unstable when we try to replicate it. You must get vaccine from the planet, Captain. As much as you can. Immediately!

(Propoganda): Replicators: the first in a long list of substances which they desperately need but obviously can't replicate, even with a sample on hand. In this case, since it is a vaccine, it must be safe for injection into a living organism. Therefore, it must be composed of safe, mundane elements, yet they still can't replicate it.
Dwoof: The contents don't matter, it's those pesky replicator errors again. This vaccine is obviously quite complicated, including, like ALL vaccines, genetic material, which we've already established that replicators have a problem with. NEXT!
TNG Season 2, Ep# 31: The Schizoid Man
(Troi drinks an exotic liquid in Ten Forward)
TROI: It's wonderful. What is it?
GUINAN: A year on the planet Thurasia is four hundred and ninety days long. It rains twice, and only twice. You're drinking Thurasian rain water.
GEORDI: Water? Tastes more like...
TROI: Heaven.
GEORDI: Exactly. Where can I get some more of this?
GUINAN: 'Fraid that's the last of it. Next rainfall in a hundred and sixty three days.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they can't accurately replicate some unusual rain water, eh? As Spock would say, that's ... fascinating.
Dwoof: Well it's clearly NOT simple H2O. It probably has organic particulates and exotic complex chemicals which, need we repeat it? Replicators have problems with. And Guinan rarely uses replicators anyway, she seems to prefer mixing her customer's drinks by hand. NEXT!
TNG Season 3, Ep# 50: Evolution
DATA: Doctor, are you suggesting they are becoming a ... civilization?
STUBBS: Oh really. I'm sorry but this is nonsense. You can't have a civilization of computer chips. They're made in a plant in Dakar Senegal. I've watched the construction.

(Propoganda) Replicators: the nanites are apparently too complex to replicate, since they must be manufactured in a plant. Notice that they are sub-cellular in size. Borg nanoprobes are roughly the same size as a blood cell and the replicator could duplicate them, so it would appear that the limits of replicator resolution sit somewhere between the scales and internal complexities of Borg nanoprobes and medical nanites.
Dwoof: Another simple case of "one atom out of place and the thing doesn't work"...the precision of shipboard replicators simply isn't up to it. A nannite "plant" could simply be a high-energy, high-precision replication system that exceeds the usual error parameters. Or it could be a more conventional non-replicative plant, for either the replicator innacuracy reason, or the nannites may require atoms that are on the 'verboten' list in their construction. In any case, it's clear that replicators have many problems with nanoscale accuracy. As for the Borg nanoprobes, they are self-repairing and self-replicating, so any replicator errors were probably simply corrected by the nanoprobes themselves.
TNG Season 4, Ep# 98: The Mind's Eye
DATA: Computer... I'm reading anomalous variations in the molecular structure of these memory chips... please confirm.
COMPUTER: Analysis confirmed.
DATA: Probable cause?
COMPUTER: Replication.
DATA: Compare variations with established Romulan replication patterns.
COMPUTER: The patterns are identical.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they cannot accurately duplicate Federation memory chips at the molecular level. In fact, the origin of replicated material can be traced by simply examining the pattern of replication errors in an object's molecular structure.
Dwoof: Didn't you just SAY that? The only 'new' information here is that different race's replicators have different 'error' patterns. So?
TNG Season 3, Ep# 54: Booby Trap
GEORDI: The crystal lattice is breaking down ... we'll have to pick up repairs when we can reach a starbase ...

(Propoganda) Replicators: since they can only get replacement dilithium crystals from a starbase, they obviously can't replicate them.
Dwoof: Since every race in the Trek universe has Dilithium mines, this is quite obvious. Dilithium is one of the elemental exceptions, as any fool can plainly see.

Groo: I can plainly see that.
TNG Season 3, Ep# 55: The Enemy
BEVERLY: I don't need him to like the idea, Captain... just to do it.
PICARD: There is no alternative?
BEVERLY: The alternative is the Romulan will die. Worf is quite correct on that point.

(Propoganda) Replicators: the obvious alternative to Worf's blood donation would be to replicate the ribosomes, but since that is apparently not an option, this means that they can't do it.

Wayne Poe notes that when they actually shot the episode, they apparently decided that the audience might not be able to figure this out on their own (not surprising, given some of the other strange Trekkie episode misinterpretations I've heard), so they added another explanatory scene:

BEVERLY: I'm setting up a schedule to test every member of the crew.
PICARD: Why can't we use the replicator?
BEVERLY: The molecules are too complex.

Fairly conclusive, no?

Note: Ryan Kitchel adds that with modern technology we can already clone ribosomes, so they've made precious little progress in this area over the next few centuries.
Dwoof: Congratulations. You've restated exactly what you stated before, that complex molecules get errors in them when replicated, and are thus usuitable for some purposes, including, in this case, medical transfusion. Cloning is a very different technology than replication. They simply don't relate, and thus your "gotcha" bit is, in fact, irrelevant.
TNG Season 3, Ep# 62: A Matter of Perspective

PICARD VO: Captain's log, Stardate 43610.4. After completing a delivery of dicosilium to the Tanuga Four research station, our away team is receiving an update from Doctor Nel Apgar on his efforts to create Krieger Waves, a potentially valuable new power source.

(Propoganda) Replicators: I don't know what dicosilium is, but if the finest starship in the Federation must be diverted in order to deliver a shipment of it to one of their research stations, it's obviously not something that can be replicated.
Dwoof: On what exactly do you base the assumption that they were diverted, and it wasn't a scheduled delivery? In any case, Sure, it must be something either complicated in molecular structure, or made, at least partly, from elements that are unreplicatable. Big fat hairy deal.

Groo: What do you mean, 'slow of mind?'
TNG Season 3, Ep# 65: Sins of the Father
BEVERLY: Try some caviar.
KURN: The odor is not palatable. What is it?
DATA: The unhatched eggs of a large scaleless fish.
PICARD: It is from the Caspian Sea on Earth, Commander. A delicacy and a personal favorite of mine. Our replicators have never done it justice. I managed to store a few cases aboard for special occasions.

(Propoganda) Replicators: according to Picard, replicators cannot accurately duplicate caviar, despite the fact that it contains no exotic elements.
Dwoof: Correction. According to Picard, he can tell the difference by taste alone between replicated caviar and real caviar. That's a very different question, as many people believe they can tell the difference between bottled water and hose water.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_sZf3maoQ )
TNG Season 3, Ep# 70: The Most Toys

PICARD VO: Captain's log, Stardate 43872.2. In order to neutralize a sudden contamination of the water supply at the Federation colony on Beta Agni Two, we are procuring 108 kilos of hytritium from the Zibalian trader, Kivas Fajo. Because pure hytritium is too unstable for our transporters, Lieutenant Commander Data has been shuttling the material to the Enterprise.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they obviously can't replicate hytritium if they must purchase it from Kivas Fajo.
Dwoof: Duh. It's unstable. Would YOU want to try replicating an unstable compound like, say, Nitroglycerine, given the replicator's tendancy to make 'little mistakes' in atomic structure?
TNG Season 4, Ep# 90: Galaxy's Child

PICARD VO: Captain's Log, Stardate 44614.6: We are approaching Starbase 313, where we will pick up a shipment of scientific equipment for a Federation outpost in the Guernica System.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they can't replicate this 'scientific equipment' so they must use the Enterprise as a courier service.
Dwoof: So? 24th century Scientific equipment, which may require non-replicable elements, or may have nanoscale tolerances where even small errors in the molecular structure may render it useless.
TNG Season 4, Ep# 91: Night Terrors
RIKER: Can't we replicate the elements Tyken used?
DATA: We no longer have the power to reproduce complex elements with our replicators. We must find a way to generate a violent energy release without relying on conventional means.

(Propoganda) Replicators: they can't replicate 'anicium' or 'yurium'. Note that they refer to them as 'elements' but neither is found on the periodic table, and higher atomic-number elements cannot, as I have stressed so many times, exist for more than a miniscule fraction of a second because the magnetic repulsion between the protons overcomes the nuclear binding force. Therefore, anicium and yurium must be some form of chemical compound, and apparently a rather volatile one at that.

When both are combined, the resulting chemical reaction is more powerful than the entire weapons complement of the USS Enterprise, which means that the raw energy wielded by the Enterprise's weapons simply cannot be as high as the Trekkies have been claiming.

How do we know that Tyken used a chemical reaction? That's easy; nuclear and M/AM reactions do not require particular combinations of materials, so if Tyken had to use the specific combination of 'anicium' and 'yurium', it must have been a chemical reaction. Antimatter will react with any type of matter, nuclear fission involves no inter-atomic reactions, and nuclear fusion occurs with a elementally homogeneous materials just as easily as it does with heterogeneous mixtures, if not more so.
Dwoof: Wow. Both overly long winded AND inaccurate. They didn't say they COULD'NT replicate them, they said their power was too low. Clean your ears out so you can hear better.

Then you try to mix this in with a long winded bluster of un-demonstrated claims. How do you KNOW that ALL nuclear reactions, even when involving unknown sci-fi elements, do not require several different elements? And considering that the ship had no POWER, and couldn't fire it's weapons into the rift at all to try to break it, exactly HOW do you jump to the conclusion that this 'chemical reaction' is more powerful than the combined weaponry that they were currently capable of using (which was nothing, so I suppose you are technically correct, in a weaselly way.) Maybe there are some things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, that are beyond your comprehention...which doesn't sound too hard.
TNG Season 5, Ep# 116: Ethics

PICARD VO: Captain's log, stardate 45587.3. We are picking up a consignment of chlorinide from Starbase 27 for transportation to the Mylaira system. Once we have delivered this material, we will investigate reported subspace anomalies in the Kelnaria region.

(Propoganda) Replicators: yet again, the most powerful starship in the entire Federation is used as a courier, for a material which they obviously can't replicate.
Dwoof: Yes, another potentially complex chemical compound, bound for Mylaira for a purpose unknown. Maybe it's a high tech weed killer? Your point? Oh, wait...I see it...it's on the top of your head.
TNG Season 6, Ep# 133: Rascals

RIKER: I hope your profit margin is pretty high on this little adventure, Lurin... because you're risking war with the Federation.
LURIN: We're not affiliated with the Ferengi Alliance. We're in business for ourselves. And yes, it will be highly profitable. For an investment of two surplus Klingon ships, a few repairs, and some weapons, we've netted a Federation starship and her crew, not to mention a planet rich in Vendarite.

(propoganda) Replicators: obviously, naturally occuring 'vendarite' ore is worth something if they're willing to risk attacking a Federation ship in order to get access to it. So I guess that means they can't replicate it.
Dwoof: So? Yet another exotic/rare/unusual mineral, like Gold and Latinum, that can't be replicated. Now if only we knew what 'Vendarite' was used for.
TNG Season 7, Ep# 158: Phantasms

PICARD VO: Captain's Log, supplemental. The creatures infesting the Enterprise have been completely eliminated. We believe the infestation originated within the warp core we obtained on Starbase Eighty-four.
GEORDI: This conduit was manufactured on Thanatos Seven using a new interphasic fusion process. We think that process must've attracted the organisms to the conduit, where they lay dormant ... until we activated the warp core.

(Propoganda) Replicators: obviously, if they're experimenting with various fusion processes in order to make their warp conduits, they must not be able to replicate them. Therefore, Trekkies can't explain all of their starbase spare-parts requirements by simply saying that starbases have huge industrial replicators.

As an aside, before nutcases start going wild because of the word 'fusion', I would like to point out that fusion does not invariably refer to 'nuclear fusion'. Fusion is also a common term used to describe certain welding techniques, among other things.
Dwoof: Well I always assumed that 'interphasic fusion' involved putting the two pieces out-of-phase with each other (Thus, the 'interphasic' part), moving them so they overlap at the join, like Kitty Pryde walking through a wall, and then letting them phase back together, thus rendering the piece contiguous without a weakness at the join (and in fact increasing their density at that point.) The individual PARTS may be replicated, but the fusion process itself would require lots of energy, I would think, and it would be a more complicated effect than a replicator would probably be capable of.
TNG Season 7, Ep# 161: Force of Nature

BEVERLY: The Fleming was carrying a supply of bio-mimetic gel... it's rare and quite valuable. Do you think it's possible the Ferengi could have hijacked it?
RIKER: I wouldn't put it past them.

(Propoganda) Replicators: again we hear of the high value of 'bio-mimetic gel', which wouldn't be nearly so valuable if they could replicate it.
Dwoof: Again? You haven't mentioned it before now, so you can't hear it 'again' yet. In any case, it's clearly something medical, which means it probably has a very complex chemical structure, which means this is just a rehashing of a previous replicator issue.
TNG Season 7, Ep# 173: Firstborn

QUARK: I believe the rumor was that the sisters were trying to buy some second-hand mining equipment.
RIKER: What for?
QUARK: They learned of a magnesite deposit in the Kalla system... it belongs to the Pakleds, but those fools don't even know it's there. Your friends were trying to get at it.

(Propoganda) Replicators: the Duras sisters have replicator technology, but they were still running around trying to buy mining equipment in order to steal some magnesite ore from the Pakleds. Obviously, magnesite is beyond the capabilities of their replicators. Neil Carr pointed out that magnesite is simply magnesium carbonate, which is an unremarkable material, thus highlighting the limitations of Federation replicators.
Dwoof: MAGNESIUM carbonate. I'd lay you odds that magnesium is one of those fun metallic elements like gold that, for whatever reason, the Replicactor can't do (It's unlikely to be the carbon, or they wouldn't be able to replicate any carbon based food) – Why it would be valuable AT ALL though, in a high tech setting (the stuff is common as dirt) is beyond me. Perhaps the writer didn't bother to look it up and thought he was making up some exotic mineral, or maybe the Pakleds aren't as dumb as everyone thinks.
TNG Season 7, Ep# 173: Firstborn

RIKER: Where's this... Corvallen now? I have orders to acquire some magnesite.
YRIDIAN: He is gone ... Where? I don't know.
RIKER: Wouldn't you be interested in selling me the ore you're carrying?
YRIDIAN: No, I have a buyer.
RIKER: You haven't heard my offer.
RIKER: Half a gram of Anjoran bio-mimetic gel.
YRIDIAN: Done.

(Propoganda) Replicators: the terms of this barter make it obvious that neither 'Anjoran bio-mimetic gel' or even ordinary magnesite (as previously noted) can be replicated.
Dwoof: Well, NOW you've mentioned Bio-mimetic gel. Which is highly unstable, not to mention illegal, as well as being (as I mentioned before) very complex in chemical structure.
DS9 Season 1, Ep# 4: Past Prologue

LURSA: The payment.
TAHNA: It's on its way.
B'ETOR: That was not the arrangement.
Lursa and B'Etor confront Tahna -- not touching him, but literally backing him up against one of the bins,
>TAHNA: I couldn't stop to get it. I barely got past the Cardassians.
LURSA: Your safety is not our concern.
B'ETOR: Your gold is.
TAHNA: It will be available tomorrow.
B'ETOR: Good.

(Propoganda) Replicators: Oops, gold is obviously still a precious substance in a replicator-equipped society, despite incessant claims that they can replicate anything they want.
Frood: Not "anything", just "Most things"...certain elements, among them Gold, Magnesium, Lithium (Including Dilithium and Trilithium), and Whatever "Latinum" is, can't be replicated. We KNEW that Gold was still a precious metal way back in TNG, when in the very FIRST encounter with the Ferengi, they made a big deal bout the gold plating on the communicator badges.

Big Fat hairy deal.
DS9 Season 1, Ep# 10: Move Along Home

QUARK: ... what would you care to wager?
Falow studies him a beat, taps a finger on the back of his hand as a signal to one of his aides... who arrives with a small wooden box...
QUARK: Ah, what a handsome container... there's an old Ferengi expression -- good things come in small packages...
But his smile falls as Falow opens it to reveal... HIS POV - SOME CHOPPED UP STICKS:
QUARK: Sticks?
FALOW: Klon peags. Highly sought in our culture. They have many different uses.
QUARK: Ah. I'm sorry. I have enough sticks right now.
Falow reacts, taps his hand again... an aide puts a small cup in Quark's hand and pours from an alien thermos bottle a red liquid... Quark looks at it... looks at Falow who motions, go ahead and drink... so Quark does... scrunches his face at the bitter taste...
QUARK: It's bitter. What is it?
FALOW: (smiles) Alpha-currant nectar. Priceless.
Losing interest fast, Quark thrusts back the container.
QUARK: One man's priceless is another man's worthless.
SISKO: Quark... Take the juice.
Sisko gives him his best tough stare... a beat as they look at each other then Quark turns back to Falow...
QUARK: Sorry, not interested.
Sisko reacts, this is about to turn into diplomatic disaster... Falow's smile fades, disappointed, sighs (and this is not a joke to him)...
FALOW: Then, we really have nothing to wager except this...
And he takes a pouch from one of his aides, opens it and pours out on a table an incredible fortune in diamond-like gems...
ON QUARK'S REACTION:
QUARK: (to a waiter) Get these folks some drinks...

(Propoganda) Replicators: Yet again, we see that gemstones are still valuable in a replicator-equipped era, despite persistent claims to the contrary from Trekkies.
Frood: And yet Kirk claimed he could manufacture Gemstones by the TON in the TOS Enterprise. Obviously, the "diamonds" here are nothing of the sort, but are something very special. Man, that was a really long quote to get to the last couple of lines...
TNG Season 5, Ep# 121: The Perfect Mate

BRIAM: If this is some sort of bribe, I am not amused.
QOL: Oh no, Ambassador ... your attitude is quite understandable.
PAR LENOR: This is just a sample.
QOL: The bribe is ten thousand more.
PAR LENOR: Ludugial gold, the purest in the galaxy.
QOL: We know the lifestyle of a Kriosian Ambassador is barely comfortable.
PAR LENOR: You deserve to live a life of luxury.
BRIAM: I am insulted. How dare you suggest ...
QOL: You drive a hard bargain.
PAR LENOR: Twenty thousand, but not an ingot more.
QOL: We must have the metamorph!

(Propoganda) Replicators: Quark will someday describe gold as 'worthless' in comparison to latinum, but he is obviously exaggerating. It obviously has some value even in the age of replicators, or Par Lenor wouldn't be trying to bribe Briam with twenty thousand units of it (which will supposedly buy him a 'life of luxury').
Dwoof: Ice cream is 'worthless' in comparison to an equal weight of gold. But you still pay for ice cream.

I have to ask, are you some sort of Leprechaun? You seem obsessed with gold.
DS9 Season 1, Ep# 15: Progress

NOG: We're, uh... (thinking fast) ... the Nog and, uh... The 'Noh-Jay Consortium.' And we have a hundred gross of self-sealing stem bolts. We were wondering...
CH'ANO'S VOICE: (interrupts; excited) You have my stem bolts? What would you want for them? The boys exchange looks -- as opportunity has suddenly re- appeared.
NOG: We'll let you have them for five bars of gold-pressed latinum.
CH'ANO'S VOICE: (dismayed surprise) Five bars!
NOG: Four bars.
CH'ANO'S VOICE: I don't think I...
NOG: (quickly) Three bars.
CH'ANO'S VOICE: If I had any latinum, I'd already have the bolts. Would you consider an exchange?
NOG: I'd consider one bar of latinum... Jake tugs at Nog, with:
JAKE: (whispered aside) He doesn't have any latinum. Let's trade for something.
NOG: (aside to Jake) I don't want 'something.'; I want latinum.
CH'ANO'S VOICE: I can't hear you... Can I interest you in a piece of land?

(Propoganda) Replicators: As if it even needs to be repeated yet again, we have more examples of products (yamok sauce and stem bolts) which are shipped and traded through DS9 because they obviously can't be effortlessly replicated. It amazes me that people could actually watch DS9 (a series which focuses heavily on trade of material commodities through the station and via Quark in particular) and walk away still spouting the common Trekkie myth that replicators eliminate the need for an industrial base or transport fleets.
Dwoof: yes, yet another example of a product where, for all we know, the tolerances are so tight, or the contents/materials used are so exotic (Stem Bolts...this quote doesn't even MENTION Yamuk sauce, in fact NOTHING ON THIS PAGE mentions Yamuk sauce except your nonsequitur reference to it here) that replicated matter would render them either useless, or more likely to fail. Since we don't know what a Stem bolt is FOR, it's hard to draw ANY conclusions, yet he jumps to them anyway.

(/PROPOGANDA)

Dwol: Alright, now let's apply what we learned to the question of Space Suit Replication, shall we?

(Waves his hand and Yuri Gagarin appears, wearing a spacesuit.)

Dwoof: Are you still playing around with those 'Q' powers? I'd think you'd get bored of those by now.

Dwol: Shush! Ok, Yuri, we just need to have a look at that suit.

(Camera pans off of Yuri to Dwol. Dwol does another hand wave, and Yuri's suit appears in his hands. We hear Yuri cursing in russian from off screen.)

Dwol: What? Oh, sorry there, Yuri

(Dwol digs around inside the suit and comes out with a pair of frilly lace ladies' underpants and tosses them offscreen, presumably to Yuri)

Dwol: Ok...what have we here? Vapor seal, radiation shielding, pressure systems...nothing particularly exotic...no Gold, no Latinum, no Nannites, no Yamuk Sauce...no parts where a few atoms out of place would make them cease to perform their function...what do you think?

Dwoof: Well, clearly Spacesuits CAN be replicated...just one question.

Dwol: What is it?

Dwoof: Darth Servo...aren't you a sith? Why don't you use your darkside powers, break free, and beat him up?

Dwol and Servo slowly turn to look at each other. Dwol turns and starts running as Servo starts quivering. Suddenly the ropes and gag fly off, and Servo starts chasing Dwol around the room, firing force lighnting at his rear end.

Servo: Tie ME up will you! Take that! And That! And THAT!

Dwol: Owtch! How could you? OW! Betraying your own alter ego?! OWTCH! NO! NOT THE FEATHER! SWEET JESUS, NOOOOOO!

(The lightsabre and batteries fly off the workbench, reassemble themselves, and fly off screen as the blade activates.)

Dwoof: I wonder if he'll remember he has the power of Q?

(We hear the sound of a lightsabre swinging a number of times. Arms and legs start flying through the scene)

Dwoof: No, I guess not. Push the Button, Groo. No, not THAT but--!

(Screen goes dark to the sound of a massive Tardis malfunction...roll credits.)