Gaming question...

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Gaming question...

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 am

Are you considered a really mean Game Master when, in a Star Wars setting, who have your players encounter a full-grown Rancor?

:)

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 am

I'm known for bringing in the Daleks...

Against a D&D party.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:43 pm

I knew I was a nice GM... :)

Thanks Narsil, that means I can whip out the old adult Krayt Dragon without feeling bad, even if my players start crying... :)

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:23 pm

It depends really. If you're just doing it to slaughter them then yes, you are mean. And a bad GM to boot.

If you however allow them to live if they do their jobs well then it's no probs in my eyes.

To clarify: I don't think having big bad baddies is wrong or bad - far from it, a high challenge is a good thing. But I do believe that flaunting your powers is a bad thing, as are no-win scenario's.

... That said, I'm really curious how the Dalek thing went down :)

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Roondar wrote:... That said, I'm really curious how the Dalek thing went down :)
A very low dodge AC, a sorcerer with Disintegrate and a very slight rules technicality produced one of the most badarse moments in D&D.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:17 pm

Roondar, I wasn't really asking the question, I was just joking.
My players know darn well if they act like idiots, then I will take them out as such.
They acted in an intelligent way (well, most of them, and one of them got tagged by the Rancor and got a very nasty side gash: "Oh, so that's what a lung looks like... O_O!) and succeeded in getting past it (I'm having my players go through KOTOR... :) ).

There's always a way out for my players (although sometimes, for dramatic purposes, it includes one of them sacrificing himself for the good of the others).

But thanks for the input... :)