Slightly Off Topic, Help me name my Franchise

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
TheRedFear
Padawan

Slightly Off Topic, Help me name my Franchise

Post by TheRedFear » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Star Trek. Star Wars. Star Gate.

It's obvious now that a succesful sci fi franchise needs to start with Star, and end with a one syllable word....

but it seems the good ones are taken. I'm working on something that I hope will one day be a new succesful Sci Fi franchise, and if anybody would like to throw some name suggestions that start with "Star" out there for me i'd apprecciate it :)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:50 pm

How 'bout a series about two spaceship pilots representing the law in space:
"Star-Sky and Hutch"... :)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:31 am

Star Ho and Star Rats.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 am

It's obvious now that a succesful sci fi franchise needs to start with Star, and end with a one syllable word....
Like Doctor Who, the X-Files, Space: 1999, Torchwood, Life on Mars, the Tomorrow People, UFO, Blake's 7, A for Andromeda, Quartermass, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:39 pm

Well, they all start with:
"Star-ring... James Olmos..." or someone like that... :)

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Well, they all start with:
"Star-ring... James Olmos..." or someone like that... :)
Actually, since most of the ones I listed are British, they simply state the name of the actor without thinking one's audience is stupid enough not to realise that it's referring to the actors; like so.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Well, "The Last Starfighter" may rule out "Starfighter" as a franchise name, unless you want to settle out of court with someone. These could be separate or one word (Stargate is one.) Here are a few more, just brainstorming around a little:

Star Strike
Star Seek
Star Death
Star Life
Star Shorts
Star Sword
Star Eyes
Star Quest
Star Night
Star Bright
Star Bar
Star Stone
Star Mind
Star Trip
Star Gaze
Star Mall
Starscope (I like this one, reminds me of "Macroscope.")
Starsong (I have a feeling this one may have been used for a novel.)
Star Ving
Starwing
Star Wings

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Star Tover
Star V Ation
Star T'Ling???

:)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17 pm

It would probably help if we knew more about the premise of your franchise's story before we started tossing out names.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Narsil wrote:
Like Doctor Who, the X-Files, Space: 1999, Torchwood, Life on Mars, the Tomorrow People, UFO, Blake's 7, A for Andromeda, Quartermass, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf?
Well, at least two of those above-mentioned series; Space:1999 and UFO, while very good most of the time story-wise, failed to stay on the air past 2 seasons, and are mostly fondly remembered cult favorites. However, they are not highly successful franchises.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Well, at least two of those above-mentioned series; Space:1999 and UFO, while very good most of the time story-wise, failed to stay on the air past 2 seasons, and are mostly fondly remembered cult favorites. However, they are not highly successful franchises.
-Mike
Doctor Who: still on the air, nearly forty-five years old. Had a single continuous run for twenty-six years at one time, one of the oldest and most successful science fiction franchises of all time.

The X-Files: lasted for nine years, infamously popular even among those who aren't fans of science fiction. Has been around since the early 1990s and was immensely popular for most of its duration.

Torchwood: spin-off of Doctor Who, and it's still quite popular and has been 'promoted' to BBC2.

Blake's 7: one of the most infamous 'dark' science fiction franchises in history, its storyline ended with the deaths of most of the crew and even killed off the title character in the process. They're trying to remake it at the minute.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the fucking Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and needs no more introduction.

Red Dwarf is also fucking Red Dwarf and needs no more introduction.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Relax, Narsil. I never said anything about the others, just Space:1999 and UFO as successful franchises. As good as they were at times (especially UFO), they were failures, and there were no spin-offs or anything else from them. They are just fondly remembered cult faves.
-Mike

TheRedFear
Padawan

Post by TheRedFear » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:53 am

Narsil wrote:
With the possible exception of Dr. Who(And Galactica though that's only recently surged back into popularity), I don't think any of those have annual conventions, name recognition, comicbook lines, and so much more. And Dr' Who's not even space-sci Fi so much as temporal

And many of the above, while certainly good, aren't quite succesful, in the way that the big three are, each being well over a decade old and still going strong.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 am

The 'big three' is a bit of an oddity, especially since Trek hasn't got nearly the popularity it had, and especially compared to Doctor Who.

If anything, the big three should be Doctor Who, Stargate and Star Wars, Trek's time has been and gone.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Except that, compared to Trek, Doctor Who's not so popular in North America.

I think the good Doctor's popularity is greater in Great Britain and Ireland, then anywhere else in the world...