Slightly Off Topic, Help me name my Franchise

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Doctor Who is also more popular in Australia, and hasn't been written for the past seventeen years by a pair of idiots who write like a prolapsing rectum.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:02 am

Well, not everything Trek has been written by Berman and Braga by the way.

In fact, DS9 was worked on by none other then Ron Moore, who is now making a very good remake of BSG.

And good for the Doctor if he's more popular then Trek in Australia.
It's just that most of the times I read how good Doctor Who is, it usually comes from people living on the great iles, that's all.

I tried to watch it once, didn't really like it, but it doesn't really matter, because it always depends on the viewers' taste in shows... :)

And, just so this thread comes back on Topic, I would sincerely stay away from names starting with "Star", and try to find an original title that simply defines your world and its story...

TheRedFear
Padawan

Post by TheRedFear » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:It would probably help if we knew more about the premise of your franchise's story before we started tossing out names.
-Mike
This is way late, and the basic premise has undergone a few revisions(and may undergo a few more) but here it is.

The basic idea was that shortly after a Theocraticly governed human species has spread out and almost fully populated the Milky Way galaxy and learned much to the dissapointment of Alien enthusiasts, that we ARE in fact alone in the universe, the first breakthrough in inter-galactic Wormhole technology is created.

The great Theocracy has outlawed msot "Soft" technologies...Biological technologies like genetic augmentation and cloning and so on. Because it's against the tenants of the Great Scriptures. But there are always those rebllious elements. As the first colonozation forray into a new Galaxy is attempted, pro-Softech Extremists sabotage the effort, stranding themselves in this new Galaxy, and destroying all the terraforming equipment so that the colonists have no choice. Since they can't make planets suitable to human life, they're going to have to make human life suitable to the planets they encounter.

Fast forward a few centuries(The extremists did a REALLY good job of thoroughly destroying the intergalactic wormhole tech, and a series of wars have broken out back in the Milky Way which have largely curtailed any further attempts at pioneering intergalactic transit tech for the last few centuries), and the new human race has flourished. It is almost entirely founded on biological technology now. Even their starships are living organisms.

Then the Theocracy re-establishes contact. Things have settled down back in the Milky Way, and they finally got around to taking a new crack at intergalactic travel. Naturally, they've come to see what became of the Lost Colony. Due to genetic and cultural changes in their breeding practices, the Lost colony has dramatically increased into a full blown and widespread empire in the last few centuries and they have NO interest in bowing down to the Theocracy's rules again, and so begins the war, between hard Tech and Soft Tech.

Unfortunately, there's a reason why there was only one sentient race in the milky Way Galaxy. That reason sleeps in the black void between galaxies, awakening only when it registers Intergalactic travel, which means dinner's ready.

Havn't actually figured out what "the reason" is exactly. Everything I think of feels "too Borg" or "Too Wraith" or "Too Yuuzhan Vhong", etc, etc. If Mass Effect hadn't beaten me to giant sentient Starships I might have gone with that, but now I'm stuck adding "Too Reapers" to my list of Too's. The general idea is that whatever this threat is, it'll prove to be soemthing that can only be overcome by the two factions uniting Hard and Soft technology to combat it.

Some of the newer ideas i'm considering would invalidate almost all of the above. lol

William Lim
Candidate

Post by William Lim » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:08 pm

a name that maybe has something to do with civil war?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:45 pm

So you've got two galaxies, opposed by tech, a long troubled history and different mindsets, forced to unite to fight the chtulhu thing from the void?

Do you want a title that emphasizes on a particular theme (like unification), or war, or that centers on a given technology or world which is the key to the conflict.
Do you want hard SF or a bit more of space opera, or cheese?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Star Scitte seems to fit.

William Lim
Candidate

Post by William Lim » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:23 am

Cpl Kendall wrote:Star Scitte seems to fit.
how do you pronounce that?

Blog

TheRedFear
Padawan

Post by TheRedFear » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Other comments have convinced me the title need not have Star in it.

I'm leaning toward Space opera

Hmm....Space-Cthulu. That could work. A race of psionic beings that devour sanity and other mental faculties. Like those Tentacle-mouth guys from DnD. And it's not until a race is smart enough to master intergalactic travel, that it's worth culling, so they sleep in the void and wait until their sensors register heavy intergalactic activity(like that brought about by a war between the two faction) to start waking up and preparing for the feast. Sets us up nicely for a three way struggle between flesh, machine, and mind.

TheRedFear
Padawan

Post by TheRedFear » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:Star Scitte seems to fit.
Those who can do.

Those who can't talk scitte about those who can.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:31 am

A title that just came to me on reading your premise: "The War of Sacred and the Profane".
-Mike

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:10 am

TheRedFear wrote:
Those who can do.

Those who can't talk scitte about those who can.
Every sci0fi fan over the age of eight on the internet has a self made universe and with very few exceptions they all blow goats. This one sounds like bad fan fiction.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:02 pm

My opinion; don't write or make a franchise. What you want to do is look in the following locations;

Tips on Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy

A Series of Articles on Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy

How to Write Almost Readable Fanfiction (useful for grammar, doesn't work as well if you're British, unfortunately)