Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Your updates are too far and few, and too short...

But always good! :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 am

Poor Narg :(

He tried so hard...is it just more or do the Trollocs just seemed out matched by the forces of the Star League?

Still a nice update through.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 am

When in open combat, they're outmatched, now that the Star League has experience fighting them. But considering that Trollocs often have fuck-off powerful starships, and a nasty tendency to attack civilian population centers, everyone was caught completely off-guard when they first appeared.

Also, if you kill a Myrddraal, Trollocs descend into chaos and confusion rapidly.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:29 am

Chapter Nineteen

Shinji had to admit, the beds in the emergency quarters at NERV HQ were far more comfortable than he had been expecting. Which was to say, they were about average. With everyone else caught up in the chaos that came with relocating the refugees from Emond's Field, Shinji had been left behind, and was forced to spend the night at the Geofront.

Not that he minded it. In truth, Shinji was used to, and seemed to prefer, being alone. When he lived with his aunt and uncle on Sarceron, he had spent most of his time in his room, reading, or watching old holovids, and he had had few friends at his school, so isolation wasn't exactly a big deal for him. What WAS a big deal was the fact that he was being summoned to Earth by his cold and uncaring father, to pilot this colossal BattleMech - an Evangelion, it was called - and that no one seemed to care. Care that he was being used as a child soldier, apparently. It didn't matter that the Eva was apparently indestructible, what mattered was the principle behind the whole thing. Who in their right mind would send a fourteen-year-old kid to pilot a BattleMech?

And then there are the other pilots. Shinji thought. First, there's Rand. He's gotta be what, five or six years older than me? Why couldn't they get someone his age to pilot Unit-01? Then his mind turned to Unit-00's pilot - Rei Ayanami. And Rei, she's... well, something about her is just off. Is she an android? No, androids don't give off this feeling. And what's with the blue hair? It doesn't look dyed, but I've never heard of anyone having naturally blue hair. Maybe she got it gene-fixed. Then he remembered that gene-fixing was only legal in cases of extreme emergencies, a law that pre-dated the founding of the Star League, and went all the way back to the Eugenics Wars of the late 20th century. I guess it might just be a side-effect. Or a mutation, you know, like the one that Channelers have that gives them those insane powers. I mean, weirder things have happened. Then he remembered her eyes. Those crimson eyes that seemed to penetrate one's very soul when they made contact. Shinji shuddered simply thinking about them.

Shinji decided to leave the emergency quarters and check around NERV HQ, just to get his mind off of the other pilots. Especially Rei. As he walked around, he noticed that, while relatively empty, more and more NERV staff were coming in. The first person he recognized was Doctor Akagi, who carried a mug of coffee as she walked towards the bridge. If she noticed Shinji, she didn't show it. A turbolift opened, and out of it walked Colonel Katsuragi - No. Misato., Shinji corrected himself, since she insisted on going by her first name - holding her head in her hands, and mumbling something about last night and painkillers, before walking over to a water fountain. The water seemed to improve her mood drastically, as she no longer needed to hold her head in her hands afterwards. That's when she turned around and noticed Shinji standing there.

"Oh. Hey Shinji." Misato said.

"Um, hi." Shinji replied quietly.

"So, ready for your training? You know, for the Eva?"

"Not really." Shinji started. "I mean, I'm only a kid, and you're still asking me to pilot that thing? Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous?"

"Now that you mention it, yes. Still, there were several things we had to take into account, several tests we had to run, and from what we can tell, you're the only one who can pilot Unit-01. Just like Rei is the only one who can pilot Unit-00, and Rand is the only one who can pilot Unit-07." Misato replied. Not to mention the fact that only those born after the Eden Incident can pilot an Eva. she thought.

"What kind of tests?" Shinji asked.

"Oh, uh, Ritsuko would be able to explain that better. Ritsuko!" Doctor Akagi turned around upon hearing her name being called, and saw Misato and Shinji facing her way, and smiled. She started walking towards them.

"Well, it seems that you recovered from your hangover early." Ritsuko said.

"Ha ha, very funny." Misato replied. "I came to ask you to explain to Shinji why he's the pilot of Unit-01." Ritsuko eyed Misato before turning to Shinji.

"Well Shinji, you see, it has to do with the Eva's computer systems."

"Computer systems?" Shinji asked.

"That's right. You know what bio-neural circuitry is, right?" Shinji nodded. "Well, the Evas' computer systems are expansions of that technology. Rather than simply having a cluster of neurons suspended in gel, the computer of an Evangelion is a fully developed brain and nervous system. The pilots are chosen based on neural interface compatibility with the Evas' neural computers." Shinji's eyes widened at the news of this.

"So you're saying that Evas aren't robots, but..."

"Cyborgs? Yes." Everyone involved in the conversation stood silently for a moment, especially Shinji, who soaked in this new information with a mixture of understanding and horror. Then the turbolift opened, and four men walked out. The first was Rand al'Thor, who bore a look of irritation on his face. The kind of look that only comes from wandering around a new city hopelessly for some time. Right behind him were Lieutenants Hicks and Graves, who were having an argument about some holofilm, and the morality of its protagonists. The fourth man was Vice-Commander Kozo Fuyutsuki, who wore a smile on his face, and carried coffee and a PADD with today's news on it. "Vice-Commander!" Ritsuko shouted. Fuyutsuki looked up, and noticed Ritsuko, Shinji, and Misato in the middle of the hall.

"Ah, Doctor Akagi. What are you doing out here?"

"Just explaining to Shinji why only he can pilot Unit-01." Fuyutsuki looked at her in confusion for a second.

"Explaining? Oh. Right. The computer systems. Why don't you explain that to Mister al'Thor here as well."

"What computer systems?" Rand asked.

Tartarus

Angelos listened to the battle reports all across the Trolloc-occupied lands, and smiled. Things were going very well, and had significantly improved once the Breen had showed up. He estimated that it would be only a matter of hours before the planet was completely liberated from the Trollocs and their kin. Still, one thing was bugging him. Why had the Breen come to help? The Breen as a species were many things. Selfless was not one of them. When they provided you aid, you could always bet that they had an ulterior motive, most likely to get you to help them on one of their projects. Angelos suspected that was the case here, but what their project was, he could only begin to guess. Sooner or later, he would find out. Hopefully sooner, and without unnecessary blood being shed.

Unexpectedly, Thot Pran, the leader of the Breen on Tartarus, stepped into the Command Center. Well, speak of the devil. Angelos thought.

[Captain Angelos.] Pran said. [I trust that the battle for this planet is going well?]

"Incredibly. Far better than it would be without your people's aid."

[Excellent. Now then, before we-]

"Actually, Thot, there's something I'd like to ask you." Angelos began.

[Oh?]

"What are you doing on this planet? This isn't your battle, and I doubt that you were on any raiding mission, as this world is so far out of the way that there's no way any pirates would be in this sector. Also, and forgive me for saying this, I don't quite think that your presence here is from the goodness of your heart. No offense, it's just that experience has taught me that when an ally comes out of nowhere to aid you, they tend to want something in return." Pran stared at Angelos for a few seconds, an effect made creepier by the visor on his refrigeration suit. Finally, he spoke.

[There's no fooling you, is there Captain? Very well. Not long ago, we were tipped off to the possible presence of a Stargate on this planet.]

"A Stargate? That's something you don't find very often."

[Yes. When we went to check for it, at its supposed location, we discovered that our source was reliable. This might also mean that the world he says could be found at these coordinates - if dialed from Tartarus - exists.]

"And what's so special about this world?"

[That, is a long story, and one that plays a key role in the history of my people. Tell me, Captain, have you ever heard of the Burning Legion?]

"No."

[I suspected as much. After all, we reveal so little of our history to outsiders. A shame, really. Anyway, the Burning Legion is a vast army of demons that travels across the galaxy, corrupting or destroying all they come across. Eight hundred years ago, they invaded our homeworld.] Pran paused. [We were one of the few sentient races they attacked to ever repel them. Now, we fear they may be returning.] Silence. Angelos considered Pran's story. On the one hand, the claim of the existence of demons was a little fishy - although the Legion could just be a group of marauding aliens posing as demons, which wasn't unheard of. On the other hand, the existence of souls had more or less been proven by battle reports against the Trollocs' winged cousins, the Draghkar, so, it remained a possibility that there genuinely were demons who had invaded the Breen homeworld. On the third hand, the Breen had a reputation for being manipulative. On the fourth hand, the existence of the Legion would go a long way to explaining supposed cases of "demonic possession" that simple psychosis couldn't explain. Eventually, Angelos spoke up.

"And the reason you want to find this world is...?"

[There is evidence suggesting that there may be a weapon there that could deal a crippling blow to the Legion.] Pran paused. [And consider this, Captain. If we were lying, why would we mention a weapon?] Angelos tried to think of reasons... and couldn't find any.

"Alright. Where is this Stargate?"

[Roughly thirty kilometers south of here.] Angelos nodded.

"Lieutenant."

"Yes sir?"

"Get me through to Earth. Specifically, the SGC. We've found something they may want to check out.

Cheyenne Mountain, North America, Earth

"Do any of you know why I called you here?" General George Hammond began.

"Surprise party?" Colonel Jack O'Neill asked jokingly. Everyone else in the room rolled their eyes.

"It's because of Tartarus, or rather, what was found there a few hours ago, by the Breen."

"Tartarus... isn't that where the Blood Ravens are fighting the Trollocs?" Daniel Jackson asked.

"Correct." Hammond replied. "It appears that a cloaked Breen ship entered orbit of Tartarus during the battle, and the Breen, acting on information from some source, uncovered a Stargate there." The eyes of everyone in the room widened. "Now, what's more astounding, is that the Breen want our help in uncovering something that they believe can fight off an enemy that they call the Burning Legion. Now, whether this Legion is comprised of unknown aliens, or actual demons as the Breen claim is unknown right now. All that is known is that the Breen really want this weapon, and they're desperate enough to flat out tell us that it's a weapon." Silence once again filled the room. It was O'Neill who finally spoke up.

"So, who here thinks it's a trap?"

"I don't." Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter replied.

"Oh?"

"Well, think about it. If the Breen were trying to deceive us, would they flat out use the term 'weapon'? Can you name one instance where the Breen would flat out lie about a weapon while seeking help? I think they're telling the truth."

"It would be most unlike the Breen for them to mention a weapon to us before turning it against us." Teal'c said. "They would immediately assume we would suspect a trap if they told us, and they would be correct." The other members of SG-1 nodded. To spring a trap on an enemy that suspected one hardly made sense, as the purpose of a trap was to catch your enemy off-guard.

"Still, we shouldn't go unaware, lest the Breen think we're going to fall for the oldest trick in the book." Daniel said.

"Agreed." Teal'c replied.

"So." Hammond began. "You'll be heading off to Tartarus within the hour. I've arranged for the UNSS Kennedy to take you there. Maximum transwarp velocity. Any questions?" Everyone at the table shook their heads. "Alright. Dismissed."

Buenos Aires, South America, Earth

"Excellent." Gendo Ikari began. "The pieces are now beginning to fall into place."

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 pm

And for those (few) of you wondering how Gendo knew about those things, well, just remember that he's freakin' Gendo. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had informants in other galaxies.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah! Stargate Command! :)

But a question, and forgive my barren ignorance, but that talk about the Evangelions...does that mean those tin cans can think? Or that their alive in some meaningful sense?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 pm

The answer to both those questions is yes.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 am

On another note, just imagine what a Terrorverse version of Rei Ayanami would be like.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Now, just to creep you all out, here's a pic of Rei with a knife:

And yes, that pic actually comes from the anime. Specifically, the film Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Chapter Twenty

Shinji felt awkward as he entered the Entry Plug, which he had come to learn was the term for an Eva's cockpit, although, that was an incorrect analogy, since, as far as Shinji knew, no cockpit had ever needed to be inserted into its BattleMech's chest via said 'Mech's spinal cord. Come to think of it, aside from the three Evas that stood here in NERV-HQ, he couldn't think of any BattleMech that had a spinal cord. This would have been weird enough, but there were several other factors that just made it all the more bizarre. First, there was the fact that the Entry Plug had no windows, although he had been told that instead, they used viewscreens, similar to the ones used on starships. Then, there were the neural clips that he, Rand, and Rei had to put on their heads, in order to achieve a proper neural link with their Evas. These looked sort of like little horns, although, they weren't really that bad.

What was REALLY awkward, however, was the fact that in order to fully properly pilot an Evangelion, they had to wear a skin-tight, form-fitting, one-piece suit called a plugsuit. Granted, it covered the entire body except the head, but that still didn't change the fact that it showed off the natural shape of its wearer's body incredibly well. That would have been bad enough, but the fact that they had to wear nothing under the plugsuit just made it even worse. Thankfully, the plugsuit had been designed to not put emphasis on the crotch area, or an already incredibly awkward situation would have been made even worse.

*Cue Eva-01*

God, this is awkward. It feels like I'm naked, and not in a good way. Shinji thought, as the Entry Plug entered Unit-01's torso.

"Entry complete." Lieutenant Maya Ibuki said, before pressing a few buttons on her console. "Testing, testing, one two three. Can you guys hear me?"

"Uh, yeah." Shinji's reply came from the speakers.

"Yes." Rand said.

"Affirmative." Rei answered, in a voice just barely above a whisper. Maya nodded.

"Good, two-way audio-feed is working properly." Maya said, and turned to Ritsuko. "Shall we begin?" Ritsuko nodded.

"Start activation sequence. Flood the Entry Plugs."

"WHAT?!?" Shinji and Rand yelled simultaneously.

"Relax." Ritsuko said. "We're flooding the Entry Plugs with a special liquid called LCL. Once it enters your lungs, it will be able to oxygenate your blood directly. In layman's terms, that means you'll be able to breathe when submerged in it." Before either Shinji or Rand could object, the Entry Plugs began filling with the orange liquid. Instinctively, both pilots held their breath, only to inhale the LCL when it became impossible to continue holding. Breathing in the fluid, Shinji and Rand started to adjust to this new medium, when they heard a new voice, this one masculine, come on the speakers.

"S2 Crystals are properly aligned. Detecting no abnormalities or flaws in their matrices." the man said.

"Who is that?" Shinji asked. "And what's an S2 Crystal?"

"Lieutenant Frank Stevens, Asha'man in the employ of NERV, at your service." the man replied. "As for the S2 Crystals, they're the Evas' primary power source. Tell me, do you know what ter'angreal are?"

"N-no." Shinji replied.

"They were devices built by the Ancients that would allow normal people to access the energy that Channelers naturally can, albeit for only one specific task. Recently, however, there have been attempts to create our own ter'angreal, some of which have succeeded. The S2 Crystal is one of those modern ter'angreal."

"Of course," Ritsuko began, "the Evas also have back-up fusion reactors, in the event that you are in an area where Channeling is impossible, like an Ogier stedding.

"I see." Rand replied. "So, in other words, the Evas are giant magic cyborgs?"

"Never really thought about it that way, but, I guess you can think of them like that." Ritsuko replied. Giant magic cyborgs. she thought. If only it were that simple. But I guess that technically is what they are.

"Ionizing LCL." Maya said. In an instant, the LCL transformed from an orange translucent liquid into a completely clear one. From the perspective of the pilots, it was as if no liquid had ever entered the Entry Plug, and air alone filled it.

"Initiating connections between Entry Plug viewscreens and the Evas' optic nerves." Lieutenant Shigeru Aoba began. Images on the viewscreens flashed before the eyes of all three Eva pilots, before finally revealing the interior of NERV-HQ. "You are now seeing the world through the Evas' eyes, and I do mean that literally." Aoba said.

"These things have eyes." Shinji said. "That's actually really creepy."

You don't know the half of it. Ritsuko thought.

"Evas are ready to launch." Lieutenant Makoto Hyuga said. "Awaiting your order, Colonel."

"Ready launching platforms." Misato said. "Initiate Launching Sequence. Target: Geofront Interior. Evangelion Units Zero, One, and Seven, MOVE OUT!"

The launching platforms sprung to life, catapulting the three Evas upwards into the subterranean forest that covered the Geofront floor. None of the three Eva pilots felt any of the motion, however, thanks to the combination of the Evas' inertial dampeners, and the LCL that filled the Entry Plugs.

"Okay. Rand, Shinji? I'll go over the basics of the Eva with you." Ritsuko began. "If you need any help actually seeing something in action, get Rei to help you, since she has the most experience piloting one of these." she said. "Now then. The Evas' armor is composed of a tritanium-trinium-duranium alloy, the same kind used to make starship hulls, as well as space-worthy BattleMechs. The other defenses include primary and secondary deflector shields, as well as something called an A.T. Field. I want you to focus on creating an A.T. Field."

"What? How?" Rand asked.

"Envision a barrier in your mind. Separating yourself from the outside world. From all harm. The Eva will do the rest." Ritsuko said. Rand focused. In his mind, he saw a great wall, surrounding himself and Unit-07. Enemies were hacking and shooting at the wall, to no avail. Slowly, but surely, he could sense something forming.

Is this it? Is this the A.T. Field? It seems... familiar somehow. Rand thought. His mind flashed back to the Trolloc attack on Emond's Field, and the arcane energy that had come from Unit-00 when it rescued them. Was that? That was! So, that's what the A.T. Field is like.

"Unit-07 has successfully erected an A.T. Field." Aoba said, informing everyone observing the Evas. "Unit-00 has as well. Still waiting on Unit-01 to. Frank, how are those S2 Crystals holding up?"

"So far, so good." The Asha'man replied. "No power fluctuations, at least, none that I can sense. Crystalline structure is stable for all of them." Then a beeping came from Aoba's console.

"Unit-01 has erected an A.T. Field." he said.

"Good." Ritsuko began. "Now, I want you all to focus on walking..."

Tartarus. The Uncovered Stargate.

"So," O'Neill started. "This is where the Breen just dug up a Stargate. All for the purpose of fighting some supposed demons."

"We don't actually know if it's merely 'supposed', or if they actually were demons." Daniel countered. "I mean, consider Channelers, Dragh'kar, Ascended Beings, the Bajoran Prophets, and - "

"Okay, I get it." O'Neill said. "We live in a world with a lot of strange stuff. Still, that doesn't mean that this 'Burning Legion' isn't just some Goa'uld trick. Remember Sokar?"

"How could any of us forget?" Daniel replied. They all remembered the Goa'uld System Lord Sokar, who had terraformed the moon Netu into a vision of hell, and who had posed as Satan in order to intimidate less technologically advanced and more religious human populations into following him. And of how Sokar met his end when Netu was destroyed by a To'kra bomb placed into its core. "However, you also have to remember that Sokar is dead, along with most of the System Lords. The only one left who has any real power is Ba'al, and this really doesn't seem like something he'd do."

"Yeah, could we not mention him?" O'Neil asked, remembering the horrific torture he had suffered at the hands of that particular Goa'uld. Being tortured to death and resurrected via Sarcophagus repeatedly at the hands of Ba'al had left O'Neill rather bitter when it came to the last System Lord. "Anyway, wanna see how far our Breen friends have gotten?" The two men started walking towards the Stargate.

[Chevron Five encoded.] the Breen operating the Stargate's control panel announced. The primary ring of the Stargate shifted around, until another constellation symbol locked itself in place. [Chevron Six encoded.] O'Neill and Daniel walked up to Carter and Teal'c, who were checking the drone rover that would go through the Stargate before any humans or Breen, and study the local environment.

"So, Carter, how we doin'?" O'Neill asked.

"Pretty Good, sir." she replied. "So far, all the systems on the probe check out as green. Now, all we need to do is wait for the wormhole to open, and see what's on the other side, and hopefully, where it is."

"Where?"

"Well, you see sir, the probe has a subspace star-tracker on it. At night, it sends out pulses to scan the visible stars, and checks them to see where in the galaxy it is. It then - "

"Okay, I get it." O'Neill said. "It'll tell us how to get there by starship, is that it?"

"Basically, yes."

[Chevron Seven encoded, and locked.] the Breen at the control panel said. All at the site turned and faced the Stargate, as the event horizon of a wormhole formed, and the familiar surge of energy shot out and receded back into the wormhole - now ready to transport matter across the great distances that would certainly separate Tartarus and this unknown world in the blink of an eye. Carter grabbed the control of the probe, and activated it, sending the rover through the Stargate. The probe's sensors quickly went to work, analyzing the planetary atmosphere, and stellar arrangements. Carter checked the atmospheric sensors readouts that were being sent back to Tartarus.

"Nitrogen, oxygen, argon, water vapor, carbon dioxide. It looks like we've got an M-class atmosphere here. Gravity sensors report 1.02 gs on the surface. The star maps are being sent to the Kennedy right now. They're running it through astrometrics. They've positively identified three supergiants and twelve pulsars..." Carter whistled. "Sir, it looks like this planet is roughly ten thousand light-years away. Deep in the Beta Quadrant."

"But we know where it is, right?" O'Neill asked.

"Yeah."

"Well then, let's get going." he replied, as he stepped forward through the Gate. Soon, everyone at the Gate location - human (genetically engineered and otherwise), Jaffa, and Breen - had stepped through the wormhole, across ten thousand light-years of space, and onto a new and unknown world.
Last edited by Khas on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 am

Ok, where's the next chapter? (demands the guy who didn't provide one for weeks) :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Nice update, good to see I'm not the only one creeped out by Evas. Through I wouldn't mind seeing what the Void dragon would do to one...

And I'm eagerly anticpating SG-1 and the rest squaring off against the Burning Legion. As well as to see what the Breen's real endgame is, since its never simple with the Breen.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Just imagine what Terrorverse versions of the Evas and Rei would be like....

And yes, Pran DOES have an ulterior motive. Just not one you'd expect.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 am

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:04 am

Chapter Twenty-One

Gendo Ikari watched the Evas, and how their pilots started to improve. From nearly tripping over their own feet at the beginning, Rand and Shinji were now showing greatly improved coordination, reflex time, and overall skill with piloting the colossal arcane cyborgs. To say nothing of how their Synchronization Ratios - the ratio of synchronization between the nervous systems of an Eva and its pilot - had drastically increased from the beginning of the training session to now. And the good news was only going to get better today.

"Well," Fuyutsuki began, "it seems that the pilots of Units 01 and 07 are quite the naturals when it comes to Eva piloting. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that they had had extensive training."

"Yes." Gendo replied, putting down a PADD. "And it seems we have more good news as well."

"Oh?" Fuyutsuki asked.

"I've just received several reports from other NERV branches. The first two are from Commander Amberley Vail at NERV-Valhalla. The pilot of Unit-05 has been identified, and they've begun training her. Her second report was that they had found an extremely unusual creature dormant in the ice. It's biochemistry matches nothing native to Valhalla, or indeed, any known planet, and the quantum fluctuations it gives off has led them to believe that it is one of Adam's Children." Fuyutsuki's eyes widened at this.

"What have they done with it? Surely they must know just how dangerous those things are?" he asked.

"They've taken every precaution. It's currently being held in a chamber that's had its walls, floor, and ceiling composed of standard tritanium-trinium-duranium alloy. Each side is ten meters thick. They've also erected seven Level-15 security force-fields around it, just to be safe."

"Well, it's a start." Fuyutsuki said. "Still, we won't know just how powerful this thing is until it wakes up." He paused. "And what's the rest of the good news?"

"It's from NERV-Bajor." Gendo replied. "The construction of Unit-12 is finished, and the Primary Activation Test has confirmed that all systems are green. Now, they just have to identify the pilot."

"Unit-12..." Fuyutsuki began. "The Heavy Weapons Eva, if I'm not mistaken."

"Yes. You wouldn't think a species as peaceful as the Bajorans to build it, but if you consider their contributions during the Trolloc Wars..." Gendo began. Before he could finish, he was interrupted by sounds of hissing coming from the sandy tank beside his desk, which caused both him and Fuyutsuki to turn and face it.

"I still can't believe you keep those... things as pets." Fuyutsuki said with disgust.

"I keep them because they might be useful some day." Gendo replied. "In the extremely off chance of infiltration, they would prove of great value in helping us discover what the enemy knows."

"Still, there are less barbaric ways of doing so." Fuyutsuki countered.

"All of which would take more time, and could produce inaccurate responses." Fuyutsuki shuddered, remembering the first time he saw just what was in that tank, and how casually Gendo treated the fact that some of the nastiest creatures in the known galaxy lived in there.

"I have to admit, I was surprised when I learned that Ceti Alpha V still supported multicellular life, much less in relative abundance." Fuyutsuki said.

"As was I." Gendo replied, turning his attention back to the Evas, which now brandished giant phaser rifles, shooting down a swarm of drone targets. Excellent. he thought. It's all going to plan.

"One more thing," Fuyutsuki started. "Are you still going to incorporate your son into our plan?"

"Yes. Over the next few weeks, I plan to get him closer to Rei."

"So, you still intend to follow the script you laid out for those two kids' lives nearly fourteen years ago?" Gendo nodded in response. "I see. If there was any other way of thwarting Instrumentality, I'd say that would be downright cruel."

L5X-3117. The world on the other side of the Tartarus Stargate.

Jack O'Neill had been to many strange worlds before, so the sight of two full moons was nothing out of the ordinary for him. Neither were the strangely Earth-like plants that grew in abundance in the surrounding area. Travelling through the gate with the Blood Ravens was a little odd, but not without precedent. What was out of the ordinary, however, was travelling with the Breen. Even during the Trolloc Wars, Human-Breen relations hadn't exactly been cozy, and the two races only fought on the same side to counter the mutual threat. Relations didn't even become lukewarm until the Battle of Ultima Thule, where over fifty million soldiers from the many Allied Powers clashed against the largest gathering of Trollocs ever seen in the galaxy. Many of the planet's rivers ran different colors that day, due to the blood of various species being spilled. Taking his mind off of the memories of that battle that working with the Breen brought back, he turned to Carter, who was staring at her tricorder in disbelief.

"Sir, you should really come here." she said. O'Neill walked towards Carter, unsure of the reason she had called him over. "You really need to take a look at these readings." she continued, handing him the tricorder. To O'Neill's eyes, the twisted lines, pairings of As, Ts, Cs, and Gs, and seemingly random numbers were little more than gobbledygook.

"Carter, I thought we went over this." O'Neill started. "Explain to me what I'm looking at on a tricorder before you show me."

"Sorry, sir. You see this?" she said, pointing to the intersecting lines with the seemingly random letters in between them.

"Yeah."

"This is the DNA of the trees in this area. Now, according to the tricorder, these trees are genetically identical to tree species native to Earth." The entire group stopped at this news.

"So, you're saying that this planet was terraformed?" Daniel asked.

"If it was, it was only partial." Carter replied.

"What do you mean, 'only partial'?" one of the MACOs asked.

"Well, you see, the grass and soil bacteria are clearly native to this planet. Sure, they might have some similarities to those found on Earth, but that's to be expected of any M-class planet. But these trees are definitely ones native to Earth."

[That is rather odd.] Pran said. [But a mystery for another time. Our current objective is to find the weapon to deal the Burning Legion a critical blow.] The Breen commander than turned around, surprisingly confident as to the weapon's location. [Now then, if we are to reach the weapon before the Legion...] Pran stopped. So did several other soldiers, including Teal'c and the Blood Raven's chief sniper Sergeant Cyrus.

"We are being followed." Teal'c said, raising his phaser rifle, as if in anticipation of an attack. "It is possible we attracted the attention of the natives."

"Or maybe some predatory animal." Cyrus said. "Although, that's unlikely. If they were hostile, whoever they are, they almost certainly would have attacked by now. Who or whatever is following us is more likely curious."

"Agreed." said Teal'c. "We should not fire, unless fired upon."

Interesting. Shandris Feathermoon, current second-in-command of the Night Elf Sentinels, thought, as the night wind rushed through her hair. These outworlders fight the Legion as we do. They might make powerful allies.

"General?" one of the archers nearest her asked, her voice just above a whisper. "What are your orders?"

"Hold your fire." Shandris said. "Inform Priestess Tyrande about these new arrivals, as well as their stated goal. Tell her that they fight the Legion."

"Understood." the archer said, nodding, before silently running off with several of her sisters-in-arms.

Shandris looked towards the twin moons, and silently prayed. Goddess, let these outworlders be a blessing. Let them strike the demons down and aid us in our fight against the forces of the Twisting Nether. Let them be the ones who will strike down Sargeras' warriors for all time.
Last edited by Khas on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.