Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

Post by Khas » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:40 am

For the record, FPE is also on ASVS. The version there, however, also has FPE's logo in it:
http://forums.asvs.org/topic/2495-fluid ... on-book-i/

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm

that logo is pretty boss

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:36 am

Chapter Five

After dinner was finished, the four companions left the Inn, as to avoid bringing unwanted attention to themselves. Rand lead the quartet, followed not far behind by Misato, who was rubbing her temples, grumbling about how she would regret drinking all that ale in the morning. Mat walked just a bit behind Misato, and Perrin brought up the rear. In the darkness of a late autumn night, with almost the whole town indoors, and the moon a slight crescent, they were sure to attract little attention, aside from perhaps the odd sheep. Misato sighed, before turning to the three men.

"Okay, you want to know why the Star League is so interested in Rand?" She asked Mat and Perrin. "It's because he's nee-" Her communicator cut her off with a beep.

"Bridge to Colonel Katsuragi. A male voice said.

"Misato here."

"We've detected multiple life-signs heading your way. However, they're generating some form of interference. Be on the look out.

"Acknowledged. Katsuragi out." Misato said, reaching into her coat pocket and grabbing a tetryon pistol. The warmth that had been in her eyes disappeared, replaced with a cold alertness. Rand was surprised that even half-drunk, she could be that intimidating.

Well, she isn't a colonel for nothing. He thought. Who knows, it might just be some kids screwing around. But he doubted it. Besides, where would children get something that could screw with a starship's sensors?

Their answer came soon enough, as a hulking figure walked out of the woods. The new arrival had to be at least ten feet tall, and half as wide at the shoulders. It let out a grunt, followed by heavy breathing. That was all Misato needed. Instinctively, she aimed her tetryon pistol at the creature, and fired two shots at it. The creature let out a moan of pain as two sapphire particle beams impacted its chest, reducing flesh, bone, and armor to slag. With a loud thud, it fell to the ground, dead. Misato wasted no time pulling out and turning on her flashlight to confirm her suspicions. The creature was hideous. Largely humanoid, it seemed to be a genetic kitbash of multiple species, resembling a hybrid of a human, a wolf, and a goat. It's nature was all too clear. Misato pressed her comm-badge, calling the orbiting starship.

"Katsuragi to Voyager, we've identified the life-forms following us. They're Trollocs. Requesting reinforcements."

"I'm sorry, could you say that again? The woman on board the starship asked.

"You heard me, the Trollocs are back, and they're headed this way! I need reinforcements ASAP!" Misato paused. "Captain, I know this is hard to believe, but it's true." Grunts could be heard emanating from the woods. "Captain, they're getting closer."

"We're beaming troops down now." Janeway said. Misato turned around to see the familiar flash of light of a transporter beam. When it faded, there stood eighteen men in its place. Twelve of them held phaser rifles, and their uniforms identified them as MACOs, the main ground forces of the Star League. The other six wore blue-grey power armor, held bolters, phaser carbines, and chainswords, and were covered in adornments that would let them fit right in at a Renaissance Fair, immediately identifying them as members of the second of the two genetically-engineered legions of super-soldiers brought on by Project Blood Raven - the Space Wolves.

Space Wolves! Misato thought. Well, this is a pleasant surprise. For a moment, she wondered what, exactly they had been doing on Voyager in the first place. Then, she remembered that this planet was one of the Space Wolves' recruiting worlds, and they were probably riding along out of convenience. Funny, she didn't remember seeing any in Voyager's galley. But then again, she DID spend most of her time in her quarters or on the holodeck on the trip here, so it was entirely possible she had just missed them.

"Colonel Katsuragi?" One of the MACOs asked.

"Yeah?"

"Major Thomas Greenfield." The young man said with a salute. "We heard there were Trollocs here." Without warning, a loud shot was heard coming from the forest, and a bolter shell whizzed past, narrowly missing the assembled party, impacting the side of a shed and detonating, sending splinters and planks flying in all directions.

"It seems we heard correctly, then." The Space Wolf Captain said. "Captain Thoras Bjornsson." He said, turning to Misato. "By the way, do you have the boy?" Misato nodded.

"And his friends." Misato turned to Rand, Mat, and Perrin, who were standing dumbfounded at what was going on. "Rand, Get you and your friends over here!" Without hesitation, the three young men ran towards Misato. "Have any of you fired a phaser before?" She asked, as several more bolter rounds whizzed by, exploding before they had a chance to do any real damage.

"No." Rand and Mat said in unison. Perrin simply shook his head.

"Well," Greenfield began, giving them each a hand phaser. "It's very simple. Just point, and press the firing button."

"Like this?" Mat asked, as he fired the phaser off towards the forest. The orange beam disappeared in the woods, when a deep scream came from around the area where the beam had gone off to. The sound of a Trolloc dying.

"Exactly." Greenfield said. "Good shot, by the way." He looked back in towards the forest. As if on cue, more bolter rounds flew out, barely missing their intended targets. "Okay team, spread out. We wanna catch these bastards by surprise."

No longer impeded by the trees, the Trollocs broke off in a run, heading straight for Emond's Field at full speed. They roared as they approached the village, subtlety apparently not being in their vocabulary. Villagers who stuck their heads out of their windows to see what the commotion was suddenly found themselves missing their craniums. The roars - both from the Trollocs and their bolters - mingled with the screams of the terrified surviving villagers.

Without warning, more than twenty phaser beams slammed into the Trolloc horde, killing their targets instantly. In response, the beasts opened fire with their bolters, sending wave after wave of explosive bullets through the air. In a matter of seconds, the town had descended into chaos. The hisses of phasers and the roars of bolters filled the air, illuminating the town with gold and orange light. One Trolloc with a torch leaped from rooftop to rooftop, setting fire to houses and other buildings. Sparks flew from the burning buildings as their occupants fled, landing on others and set them ablaze. More and more, Emond's Field resembled a vision of Hell, complete with screaming, fire, shouting, and wailing. Greenfield turned and spotted the Trolloc who had started the inferno, still running on the rooftops. Unable to reach him due to the suppressing fire from the Trolloc guns, he hollered at two MACOs nearer the Trolloc.

"Powalski, Johnson! Take that bastard down!"

"Roger!" The two MACOs yelled back, chasing the Trolloc. Catching up to the human-animal hybrid, the soldiers squeezed the triggers of their phaser rifles, the twin beams converging. The Trolloc's head exploded in a mess of bone and brains as the beams found their mark. The corpse slumped over, falling on the ground, still holding the torch. By sheer good luck, the corpse landed on the torch, extinguishing the fire. Satisfied, the two men ran to face down some more of their unnatural foes, only to have their torsos ripped apart by the enemy's bolters.

Rand and Misato had been backed into against a wall by the crossfire, and opened fire at any hostile soldier that came their way. Orange and blue energy beams lashed out at the charging Trollocs, who fell dead upon contact. As opposed to the ones engaged throughout the town, these had eschewed guns in favor of more archaic weapons, axes, swords, and spears.

"Why are these Trollocs using old weapons?" Rand asked, as he fired his phaser at a charging beastman. "You'd think they'd use any advantage they had."

"You forget how these guys think, Rand." Misato said back, as she blew off an attacker's head. "They prefer to get up close and personal."

Without warning, an odd, melon-sized projectile impacted the wall, only inches away from Rand's head. Thinking it a bomb, he reached down to pick it up and throw it back, only to drop it in horror when he saw its true identity - the severed head of a child, no older than eight. In shock from what he saw, he didn't react to the charging Trolloc until it was only fifteen feet away from him. Just before he could fire, though, a cloud came seemingly from nowhere, and engulfed the Trolloc. By the time it dissipated, the Trolloc had been frozen solid. Seconds later, it fell to the ground, shattering. Rand and Misato turned to see a Space Wolf - Sergeant Snorri Grimblood -brandishing a CRM-200. Turning around, Snorri turned the Breen-made weapon on a group of advancing Trollocs, bathing them in liquid nitrogen.

"You know what, Misato?" Rand said. "Your offer is looking better and better."

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 am

I am very glad you have returned to us

this is awesome!!!

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks. :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Good to see you return, nice update.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:I am very glad you have returned to us

this is awesome!!!
Yup, awesome is the right word... :)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Aaaannnnnnd, we're still waiting for chapter 6...

Get to it, you running pussy you... :)

Stop looking for excuses, and write, damn it... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Chapter Six

Greenfield watched in horror as the Trollocs continued their path of slaughter and mayhem through Emond's Field. While the MACOs and Space Wolves were proving to be effective at killing the half-human beasts, the sheer numbers of the Trolloc army were beginning to pay off. Two MACOs and one Space Wolf were dead. Another eight men wounded. Out of a force of twenty-two, they had suffered a fifty per cent casualty rate. Not good. Seeing no other alternative, he contacted Voyager.

"Greenfield to Voyager! Come in! This is Major Greenfield, do you copy?" He hollered as to be able to even hear himself over the sounds of battle.

"Voyager here. Status?"

"Bad!" He yelled, firing two phaser beams at approaching Trollocs. "The Trolloc army is much larger than we thought! Three men dead, eight wounded. Civilian casualties confirmed, but unknown in number. Very high probability of at least two Myrrdraal leading this army! Requesting reinforcements!" Greenfield yelled as bolter shells whizzed past his head.

"Request granted, but you do know that we came with minimal troops, right?"

"I don't care! Just beam down every troop you ca-" He was cut off by another MACO, this one holding a tricorder, and white with fear.

"Major," He said. "The interference that the Trollocs set up is gone. We're reading thousands of them." Greenfield pressed his comm badge again.

"Greenfield to Voyager! We're counting thousands of Trollocs down here! Beam down any and all heavy hitters you have!"

"Heavy hitters?"

"Tanks, battlemechs! Some Baneblades and Mad Cats, maybe an Atlas, even!"

"Major, we're not carrying anything like what you're requesting, unless you include..."

"Well, beam it down, then! We don't really have any choice!" A pause. "Well?"

"Request granted." Janeway replied, reluctantly. Ikari will never let me hear the end of it. She thought. But what choice do we have? Orbital bombardment would just result in even more civilian deaths, and it would take too long to beam them all out of there. "She's coming in now."

Greenfield turned around to see it beam down. The soldier who had been standing next to him nearly wet himself at the site of the colossus.

"M-Major? What the hell is that?"

"That, Estavez, is the difference between defeat and victory."

Rand fired off another phaser beam at the oncoming Trollocs. Light, there's no end to these things, is there? He thought. The now-familiar flash of light of a transporter beam caught his eye, and he turned around to see something he couldn't have imagined in his wildest dreams. It looked somewhat like a battlemech, only more humanoid, and it stood four times taller than any 'mech he'd ever heard of. It was blue and white, with only one eye in the center of its face, and had giant fins on its shoulders. What was most disturbing about it, however, was the fact that it carried a to-scale rifle in its hands.

"Misato? What is that?"

*cue "The Beast II"*

"What is...?" Katsuragi found herself at a loss for words. Her jaw dropped, and her eyes seemed as large as dinner plates. "Unit Zero!? Greenfield better have a damn good explanation for this!" As she said that, the unnaturally large 'mech opened fire with its rifle, sending debris and Trollocs - both whole and in pieces - flying in all directions. Mat, Perrin, and about a dozen or so villagers ran up to see the source of the noise, only to stop, gawking at the huge machine.

"Perrin, are you seeing this?" Mat asked. Perrin, equally dumbfounded, simply nodded. "Misato?"

"That is part of the reason we came for Rand. That is Evangelion Unit-00."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Always nice...

But why must they also always be so short?

I mean, sonofccn and Admiral Breetai aren't cheap with their goodness, why are you? :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Neat but like Preao said short. Hope we get to see Evangelion Unit-00 kick some Trollock rumps next update. :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Well, I was kinda rushed when writing it. I might go back and make it longer, or just make Chapter Seven very long.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Don't change the past, adapt to the future...

So make Chapter 7 longer...
Much, much longer... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Chapter Seven

Unit-00 released an almost literal storm of phaser pulses from its rifle, vaporizing any Trolloc unfortunate enough to be caught in its wrath. Large sections of rock and soil were slagged, aerosoled, or vaporized by the ensuing nadion blasts, leaving a glowing orange mist in the air. Every Trolloc that came near Unit-00 found himself dead, and his weapons ineffective, as the bolter rounds exploded harmlessly against the Eva's deflector shields. The blue behemoth began to walk forward, crushing any Trolloc that happened to be where its foot was going to land, and vaporizing any it could hit with its phaser rifle. Unit-00 then broke into a run, something that Battlemechs a quarter its size couldn't do. Seemingly abandoning the battle, it ran into the forest, towering over even the tallest trees, its pilot seemingly oblivious to the fact that it still posed just as massive a target as ever. As quickly as Unit-00 began to run, it stopped.

"Is that pilot crazy? What the hell is he doing?" Rand asked. "Did he just decide to aband-" Rand was cut short as he noticed that the Eva started to give off a purplish glow. "What th-?"

*cue "Fate"*

"Everybody, GET DOWN!" Misato hollered. The glow intensified, until it became painful to look at. Then came the blast. Like a hurricane of prehistoric proportions, a wind fiercer than anything anyone in Emond's Field could remember raced across the landscape, ripping up anything that dared stand upright. Trees, rocks, and other debris flew through the air, raining down on Trollocs not already caught up in the blast. Buildings too close were reduced to planks and splinters as Unit-00 unleashed an arcane fury from within itself, only to have their fragments impact others, knocking them down as well. Despite the fact that his head was down near the ground, Rand could tell that the light from the Evangelion was fading, simply by the fact that the grass was no longer as bright. Looking up, he found himself in shock. Despite the raging winds, Unit-00 just stood there, as if nothing had happened.

"What the hell? How is that even possible?" Rand asked, utterly dumbfounded.

"The eye of the storm." Perrin said, just loud enough to be heard over the roaring winds. "The eye of the storm is always the calmest part. Unit-00 happens to be both the source and the eye of this particular storm." Perrin turned to Misato. "Am I right?"

"More or less." She replied, as Unit-00 continued to fade. As the light faded, so did the wind, both disappearing not even a minute later. With the Eva's windstorm gone, Unit-00 pulled its phaser rifle out again, and began to mop up the surviving Trollocs.

"What the hell was that?" Estavez asked, still not fully believing what he had just witnessed.

"BPC." Greenfield replied.

"BPC?"

"Big, Powerful, and Classified. All you need to know is that that machine - the Evangelion - just single-handedly saved our lives." He paused. "Now, can somebody give me a sensor sweep, let me know just how many Trollocs survived that?"

"Yessir." Leonov said, pulling out his tricorder. As the instrument scanned the area, Leonov's eyes widened. "Major, I'm not sure if the tricorder was damaged in the attack, but I'm only reading twenty Trolloc life-signs."

"What? Estavez, can you confirm those readings?"

"I'll try." The second MACO pulled out his tricorder, and began scanning. "Sir, I'm getting the same readings. Only twenty Trollocs."

"Uh, sir, I'm also reading only twenty." Michaels added.

My God, just what the hell have we created? Greenfield thought. "Alright men, now we've just got to make sure that the Myrddraal leading these bastards was killed, too. Spread out!" It didn't take long to find the Myrddraal. Or rather, it didn't take long for the Myrddraal to find the MACOs, as not even ten seconds after Greenfield gave the order, one of them screamed. Greenfield and the others turned around to see Lyles impaled through the heart on one of the Myrddraal's signature swords. Twitching, the MACO fell dead as the sword's eyeless owner pulled it out, and brought it to his side. Greenfield nearly wet himself in fear. He had seen the reports about the Myrddraal, Trolloc offspring who's human genetics dominated their animal ones. How these abominations, whose faces held only blank skin where eyes should be, could still see even better than even the most keen-eyed hawk in either day or night. And how they were slightly out of phase with normal matter. Not enough to completely be unable to interact, or avoid being hit by weapons, but just enough so that they didn't show up on tricorders, and that wind didn't affect them. No one knew why this was, though. Not even the Myrddraal did.

"A pity." The Myrddraal began. "I expected more of a challenge from him." Before anyone had any chance to say anything, he charged forward, easily dodging the MACOs' phaser beams. Hard to believe that such an intelligent and nimble creature could come from something as bulky and stupid as a Trolloc. The Myrddraal brought his sword down on one MACO, slicing his arm off. He decapitated another, and impaled a third through the gut. Running straight for Greenfield, the Myrddraal brought his sword into a killing blow...

...Only to be engulfed by a strange cloud. When the cloud dissipated, the Shadowspawn was frozen. Greenfield turned to see Space Wolf Sergeant Snorri Grimblood brandishing his CRM 200, liquid nitrogen dripping from the barrel. The Space Wolf grabbed his bolter and fired, shattering the Myrddraal's body.

"Saw you were in trouble." Snorri said.

"Thanks." Greenfield said. "Glad you froze the bastard before you shot him." Snorri nodded, knowing that even though you could deliver a killing blow to a Myrddraal, it wouldn't die until sundown, leaving the body to thrash around, attacking anything in range until it died, even if it was decapitated.

Rand ran through what remained of Emond's Field, ignoring Misato's calls for him, unaware that she, along with Mat and Perrin, were following him, and desperately searching for his father. He hoped that he had made it through both the Trolloc attack and Unit-00's storm. However, upon seeing the devastation wrought by both, he found it increasingly unlikely. All around, he saw burning homes and weeping villagers. The surviving MACOs and Space Wolves tended to the people, doing what little they could to help. Finally, he came to the place where his house had been. All that was left was rubble. Running even faster, he saw just how little was left. Walls had been smashed, furniture destroyed, and doors broken down. The only thing that was left intact was the roof, which covered the debris pile that had been his home. All hope had left him at this point. And then he heard a groan. It came from somewhere under the roof, which he began to pull away. It didn't take long to find Tam.

"Dad!" Rand yelled. Tam only groaned. But at least he was still alive.

"Rand!" Misato hollered. Rand turned to see her, Mat, and Perrin running up to him and the destroyed house, stopping when they finally reached it. Mat's jaw dropped at the sight, while Misato gasped. Perrin bent down to help Rand with taking the debris off of his father, while checking what he could of his vitals.

"He needs medical help, badly." Perrin said. "Do you know where we could get it?"

"That I do." Misato replied. "Katsuragi to Voyager, five to beam up."

Captain's Log, Stardate 55638.2. We've begun transporting the refugees from Emond's Field on board for treatment and healing. While most of the people can be saved, I can't say the same for the village itself. With winter rapidly approaching, we have no choice but to move the population of that village. On a lighter note, one of the villagers, a Mister Mat Cauthon, is in the galley, and seems to be trying to lighten the mood.

"And so, the clown can stay," Mat said. "But the Ferengi in the gorilla suit has to go!" The people surrounding Mat burst into laughter at the punchline before dispersing, while Mat took another swig of ale.

"Is now really the time for humor?" Perrin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh come on." Mat replied. "Besides, do you really want them to be moping around, when they need something to laugh at now more than ever?" Perrin simply shrugged, and went back to his ale. Mat then noticed Rand simply staring off into space. "Hey, Rand, what are you looking at?" He asked.

"Her." Rand answered, and pointed to a young girl, about fourteen years old, sitting at a table by herself. What was most striking about her were her blue hair and red eyes. Mat turned to Rand.

"Is it just me, or are her hair and eyes really...?" Mat asked.

"Yes. They are." Rand replied. The door to the galley opened, and all three men turned to see Misato walk in.

"Well, Rand." She began. "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is your dad's gonna make it. The bad news is that the doctor had to amputate his left leg from the knee down." Rand sighed.

Well, at least he'll live. He thought. "Uh, Misato, who's that?" He asked, pointing to the blue-haired girl sitting by the window.

"Oh, that's Rei."

"Rei?"

"Yup. Rei Ayanami. Pilot of Evangelion Unit-00."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Niiiiccceee!

But still needs to be longer... :)