From One World To Another (ST/WH40K X-over)

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: From One World To Another (ST/WH40K X-over)

Post by Khas » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 am

Chapter Eight

Sorval raised his eyebrow at Julius, obviously wanting to know more about the chain of events that brought this arrangement into existence. How anyone could count a daemon as a friend would normally be beyond him, but if Julius' home universe was as nasty as he said it was, then it wasn't entirely impossible that such a relationship might form.

"Would you mind explaining how this friendship between you and the daemon came about?" Sorval asked. Whatever explanation Julius could give would have to be a good one, and perhaps give him more information on the workings of that hellish paralell universe.

"It was eight years ago." Julius began. "Just after the Imperium carried out Exterminatus on my homeworld. I, along with some other cultists fled into the Warp to escape the planet's destruction."

"The Warp?" Sorval asked. "You mean subspace, right?" Julius raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"No, I've never heard of this 'subspace'. I mean the Warp, the Immaterium, the Realm of Chaos itself. What do you mean by 'subspace'?"

"Oh, uh, that'll take some time to explain, we'll wait until after you're done explaining your friendship with this daemon." Sorval said. Julius nodded, noting that that was probably the best idea, saving these sorts of questions for the end of the story.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes. In the Warp. The cult leader, Octavian Magnus, proclaimed that I was to be the host of one of Tzeentch's Greater Daemons, a Lord of Change. More particualarly, one named Tarovos, who was just as unnerved as I was. I was his first host, and one of only two ways he could survive in the material realm, the other being to flat out summon him with special preparations and sacrifice." Julius paused. "And yes, before you ask, I do mean human sacrifice. And before you judge me just because I worked with daemons, the Imperium does this sort of thing all the time, feeding the souls of millions of tortured psychics to the Emperor every day to allow them access to faster-than-light travel." Sorval and the other Starfleet officers looked stunned at this. Stunned, horrified, and confused. "After Tarovos was sealed into my body, we were assigned to aid Eliphas the Inheritor's forces in Subsector Aurelia. We were nearly overrun by Tyranids, and would have been, if Tarovos hadn't triggered a psychic explosion right in the middle of them." Julius started to lay back, recalling the days when he served Tzeentch. "Since then Tarovos has gotten me through more tight spots than I care to remember, and things have just sorta developed from there.
"Now, I take it you have questions about my universe?"

"Yes." Sorval began. "About this 'Warp' you mentioned. What exactly is it?"

"The realm of the Chaos Gods. A place where dreams become reality, where the thoughts and feelings of all the sentient beings in the galaxy take form. It's also a dimension where faster-than-light travel is possible. Why did you ask if it was subspace?"

"Because the name sounded a lot like our own form of superluminal travel, albeit, it works in a very different way." Nikolai said, having remained quiet up until that point.

"Thank you for answering for me, Commander." Sorval said in a tone that was dripping with sarcasm. "Yes, that is why I asked that. Our own warp drive is similar in name only. It works by using the energy of the dimension known as subspace to distort space-time around the vessel, causing it to rapidly expand behind the ship, and contract in front of it."

"A diametric engine?" Julius asked. "Those were experimented with, but deemed impractical during the Dark Age of Technology in my universe. Something very few people know about."

"How do you know about it then?"

"Mix of serving Tzeentch and being in the right place at the right time." Suddenly, a beeping was heard emminating from one of the pannels. The second neural energy pattern began growing more active. Julius looked at it, before looking back at Sorval and Nikolai. "Well, you wanted to learn more about Tarovos right? Here comes your chance. Just warning you though, he can be a bit cranky and snarky when waking up."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Interesting.
Since I have no real knowledge about 40K, I learn as I read... :)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 am

Looks good, I hope this doesn't become pointlessly dark and gritty like a lot of 40K fanfics I read.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:32 pm

do keep it up

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Lucky wrote:Looks good, I hope this doesn't become pointlessly dark and gritty like a lot of 40K fanfics I read.
Oh don't worry. I have no intention of turning this into a grimdark fanfic. Granted, there will be some ground combat, but it won't become insane.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:20 am

Chapter Nine.

Deep within the recesses of Julius' mind, Tarovos stirred. Slowly, but surely, the daemon regained consciousness, awakened by the sound of voices, and Julius' own awareness. Still coming to, he hadn't yet realized his situation. Linking himself with Julius' optic nerves, he saw what Julius saw, and was taken aback. Two figures, one human, the other a leonine humanoid, wearing almost matching uniforms - black mostly, with silvery grey on the shoulders, the only difference being the blue and red turtlenecks they wore under their jackets, respectively. Normally, this would have been confusing enough for the poor daemon, but this was only the tip of the iceberg. He realized not long after that he had somehow survived falling into the Well of Eternity! A feat only achieved once before. That wasn't all either. No, not only did both he and Julius survive, somehow, all connection to the Warp had been severed. He had so many questions, he started stuttering.

Who are you? What are you doing here? When did I get here? Where in the Warp am I, anyway? Why are a Vallhallan and a furry looking at me? Tarovos asked telepathically. Nikolai let a slight snicker out at Tarovos' last comment, while Sorval raised an eyebrow slightly in confusion.

"You're on the Federation starship Lexington." Sorval began. "We rescued you and Mister Hathaway from the fourth planet in the system we're currently in. If it hadn't been for Doctor Adams, Julius would certainly be dead, and possibly you too."

Federation? Tarovos asked.

"Think the Tau Empire, but without any one species being dominant." Julius said back to the daemon.

No species is dominant, huh? Then I take it that you either don't have a capital, or your capital is no species' homeworld?

"Oh no, we have a capital, and it is the homeworld of one of the species in the Federation." Sorval said.

"Oh? And which species and world are they?" Julius asked.

"The capital world is humanity's homeworld, Earth." Julius literally felt his jaw drop. If Tarovos had eyes in his non-corporeal form, they would have swelled to the size of dinner plates.

"TERRA?!?" Julius and Tarovos asked in unison.

"Yes, that's one name for it. An ancient one." Nikolai said.

"I knew I should expect some weird things in this new Universe." Julius said. "But that just..."

Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah. Hold on. Tarovos said. We're in a paralell universe? Well, I mean, I should've guessed by this Federation and Terra being it's capital world, but still, this is... something else. Frankly, I'm speechless. I mean, we fell into the Well of Eternity! We should be dead and have had our souls obliterated!

"I know." Julius replied. "Wait, wasn't there that voice just before we fell in?"

Yeah, mentioned something about how our views on reality needed changing or something.

"That would be me." The same voice said. Without warning, a bright light flashed in and out of existence, leaving behind a human male with dark curly hair, and standing in a Starfleet uniform. "And you're quite welcome." The man turned to face the bewildered crowd standing in sickbay. "Oh, apologies, I forgot to introduce myself." He said. "My name, is Q."

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Q is gonna do some epic trolling?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Yep. Although you might not expect who he trolls.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 am

Chapter Ten.

Sorval gritted his teeth. He should have expected this, or at the very least considered it. Standing before him was the omnipotent being who had not only tormented the crews of both the starships Enterprise and Voyager, but also introduced the Federation to its most lethal enemy - the Borg. And he was standing here now, having summoned from a parallel universe, not only a man, but a powerful "daemon" as well, and for what purpose? A test? His own amusement? Some obscure reason mortals could never understand? Sorval turned around to Nikolai letting out a faint groan, and Adams starting to rub his temples.

"Oh!" Q said. "I see my reputation proceeds me! Excellent! Well, now that my introduction to you Starfleet people is out of the way, I think I'll introduce myself to your guests." Obviously refering to Julius and Tarovos. Sorval instinctively reached for his phaser, but decided against it, knowing that nothing he did could harm a being to whom the laws of physics weren't even guidelines.

"You, you're the one who rescued us from the Well of Eternity. Thank you."

"Oh please." Q said. "No need to thank me. At least, not yet. You still have a while to go before you can actually thank me for bringing you across universes."

"Why'd you bring them here then, Q?" Sorval asked. "Is this for some sick and twisted game, or to test them to see there reactions in our universe?"

"Aren't you a feisty little kitty? Need something to take that frusturation out on?" Q asked, waving two fingers up in the air. In a flash of light, a grapefruit-sized ball of yarn materialized in Sorval's hands. Giving Q a look commonly known to the Lexington's crew as "Stink-Eye", the Caitian dropped the ball, letting it roll on the sickbay floor until it came to rest under a bio-bed. Q grinned, before resuming talking. "If you must know, I brought that man and the daemon that currently inhabits his brain into this universe to see if it was possible for them to have a chance at redemption."

"Redemption, what do you mean?" Nikolai asked.

"Oh, didn't Julius tell you? He and Tarovos were at the Massacre at Tukoma Prime. Granted, they were only part of a support group, but the fact remains, they were on the side that instigated that bloodbath. Not to mention the whole, you know, 'being a servant of Chaos' thing. That tends to screw up one's chances at being a positive member of the galactic community." Hearing Q's words, Sorval, Nikolai, and Adams all rapidly turned to face Julius, with a mix of shock and horror on their faces.

"The people there blindly worshiped the False Emperor. We merely tried to get them to see reason and turn to Tzeentch, a more suitable deity then a corpse mounted on a giant chair." Q snickered. "What's so funny?" Julius asked.

"Oh, nothing. It's just the fact that the people in your universe worship such pathetic beings as gods is amusing, that's all."

"Pathetic? The gods themselves, pathetic? You have to be kidding me. How could any being that could create vast armies of daemons with a single thought, manipulate the very fabric of space-time, control the fates of entire sectors, be pathetic?"

Q yawned. "Is that it?" He asked. "I've done all of those things, and more out of boredom. Besides, if Tzeentch is so mighty, then how come he can't even leave the Warp?"

Julius opened his mouth to speak, but found himself unable to. Not physically of coursee, but just unable to come up with a comeback to Q's constant taunting. "Tarovos, don't you have something to say?"

Nope, not really. The daemon said. Besides, I don't think Q is the kind of guy you want to piss off. I'm getting nervous just by feeling his power levels. To have a Chaos God's power is one thing. To be this guy... is something completely different.

"And Polly gets a cracker!" Q said, sending an ethereal Ritz cracker into Tarovos' still-ethereal mouth.

"So, when do I get my chance at 'Redemption'?" Julius asked.

"Oh, soon enough. And don't worry about your powers though. You still have them, even if you have no connection to the Warp. Believe me, you'll need them." Q replied. "Oh, by the way Julius, before I forget, you seem to not know something important about your own universe's history. The Emperor never wanted to be worshipped. The one who originally saw him as a god was Lorgar. Let that sink in for a while." And with that, Q disappeared in a flash of light. Julius stood stunned. That Lorgar, the Primarch of the Word Bearers, some of Chaos' mightiest champions, was the one who originally suggested worship of the Emperor was stunning, if not heretical. Turning back to thinking about his "redemption", Julius nearly opened his mouth, when the ship's intercom system rang to life.

"Commander Khav to Captain R'Skelli... The Tellarite man began. "Sir, we have a problem. We've just recieved a distress call from Mygos VII. They claim that they've fallen under attack from Orion pirates. Also, at only thirty light-years away, we're the closest ship in range." Sorval nodded. Mygos was far-removed from the rest of Federation space, thus making it an easier target than most other worlds.

"Acknowledged. Mister Mackenzie, set course for Mygos. Maximum warp."

"Aye sir." The young human helmsman replied. Sorval turned to the guest from the other universe. "Well, Mister Hathaway. It seems that Q was right about your chance at redemption being closer than you thought."
Last edited by Khas on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Q delivering sagely advice while insulting every one around I do so love the guy.

great chapter man hope to see more of your work soon

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks. And also, you think Q's trolling now is epic, just wait 'til the end! I won't say who he does it to, but I think it'll be hard to top what he does.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:21 am

Khas wrote:Thanks. And also, you think Q's trolling now is epic, just wait 'til the end! I won't say who he does it to, but I think it'll be hard to top what he does.
Nothing says "I'm really powerful and you're not" like being an obnoxious jerk, and no one daring to smack you around.
_____
So can we see our friendly 40K refugees find out about the silly number of settings on a phaser, and that the default is stun? There's something like 4 or 5 stun setting as i recall.

Are they going to ask about who Q is? He has claimed to be god with a capital g as I recall.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:54 am

And now, the dreadful truth. I've got writer's block! Or something like it. I know want I want to do with the rest of the story, I'm just having trouble putting Chapter 11 into words. Any ideas on how to help?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:35 am

Pick up a notepad and pencil or pen, and write. Just keep writing until you work out your thoughts.
-Mike

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 am

Khas wrote:And now, the dreadful truth. I've got writer's block! Or something like it. I know want I want to do with the rest of the story, I'm just having trouble putting Chapter 11 into words. Any ideas on how to help?
just write up the chapter...and erase it and rewrite it until you get over it or get it right

or do what i do Baily's on the rocks helps