For Fun, the SFJ members crew a Starfleet vessel.

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Khas
Starship Captain

For Fun, the SFJ members crew a Starfleet vessel.

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

Now, suppose in a Star Trek - vs - Star Wars universe, where the UFP and GE are about evenly matched, the people here at SFJ find themselves as the crew of a Sovereign-class starship. Since we know that JMS would be the captain, it's up to you to decide who fills which role of each "main character". Also, the people listed have to be at least a Redshirt on the forum to qualify them for a main character role.

Roles:
First Officer
Tactical Officer
Chief of Security
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Science Officer
Chief Engineer
Helmsman
Counsellor
Fighter Squadron Leader
Marine Commander
Resident Jedi
The Wesley/Neelix Guy

As I said before, this is all in fun.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: For Fun, the SFJ members crew a Starfleet vessel.

Post by sonofccn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:24 am

I nominated myself for the Wesley/Neelix slot. I'm certainly irritating enough for the posting and my lack of other skills preclude me from any other , unless I can be an expendable Redshirt of course, role.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:56 am

If anything, I'd be the Chief Science Officer. I've always had a love for science (watching ST: TNG and Bill Nye when I was 2 kinda set that interest in me). As for why I wouldn't fill the other roles:

First Officer/Marine Commander/Fighter Squadron Leader: Not enough experience as a commander.

Chief of Security/Tactical Officer: Too trigger-happy to be reliable.

Counsellor: First off, I'm male. Men haven't been seen as counsellors, and add in the fact that I'm pretty irreverent, and that's a bad combo.

Helmsman: Altering course all the time isn't my cup of tea.

Resident Jedi: Under NO circumstances am I to have a lightsaber.

Chief Engineer: Too lazy.

Chief Medical Officer: Might accidentally create Tyranids out of boredom.

Wesley/Neelix Guy: In real life, I'm actually a pretty quiet person.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 am

This looks like fun :)

Let me see. I would probably be best suited to an engineering position, since it kind of synchs up well with what I do. That or security, as I'm a fairly decent shot. Of course, the technique of shooting a modern firearm is a little different than shooting a recoilless beam weapon, but I don't think it would be too bad. The dustbuster shape would take the most getting used to.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:49 pm

I suppose I could be the tactical officer if only because I'm always agreeing with Mr. Reed (who might be from Enterprise and surely hasn't got a spotless track record but he does have the proper sense of paranoia that I could definitly offer as well) and would definitely suggest shooting the hell out of the bad guys real soon ;)

Failing that my computer science background might make me a competent engineer.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Pretty much engineering, since I graduated from a Technical school in Telecommunications and like to know how things work, and make them more efficient.

If not, then Security, since my old Martial Arts instructors say I have a very good, instinctive grasp of HtH, and I'm pretty decently built (5'8", 210 pounds, say less then 15% body fat).
I'm also very good with Dustbusters, so the Phaser handling would come naturally to me... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Confirmed:
Wesley/Neelix Guy: sonofccn
Chief Science Officer: Me
Chief Security Officer: Praeothmin
Tactical Officer: Roondar
Chief Engineer: Cocytus

Me Guessing:
First Officer: Mike DiCenso
Marine Commander: Mr. Orgahn
Fighter Squadron Leader: Enterprise E
Resident Jedi: The Dude
Chief Medical Officer: Narsil
Helmsman: PunkMaister
Counsellor: SailorSaturn13

Now I'm just guessing here. Correct me by all means if I'm wrong.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

If I had to try and place myself.... I'd go with Fighter Squadron Leader or Resident Jedi.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 pm

So do we post short narratives of this war as seen from our character's viewpoint or are we going in a differnt direction? Sorry in advance for misunderstanding.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

sonofccn wrote:So do we post short narratives of this war as seen from our character's viewpoint or are we going in a differnt direction? Sorry in advance for misunderstanding.
Well, we might. That was one idea I had buzzing around in my head. Although I'm not sure if we should come up with characters, or if it should be a wacky self-insert fic.

Example of Dialogue:
"The reason you were relieved of duty for a week is because you used the ship's internal sensors to spy on the female crew members while they were in the shower."
"You can't prove that!"

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I could see myself as a Fighter Squadron leader. I am pretty good in flight simulation video games. If not the leader, I could be a subordinate fighter pilot.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 am

On a different note, I was looking back at some of the really old posts, and JMS said that SFJ was going to host a webcomic about Trek-Wars. Well, maybe we could flesh this thing out, and submit it to him as the basis for said comic.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 am

Here's my humble attempt. Sorry if it ran a little long.

Cadet Log-
Stardate: 12:00 AM ( Pending setting of time clock)
Name, full: Sonofccn

Entry in full: I had little way of knowing that the first step towards the ultimate greatness that I as the predestined Fleet Admiral, as well as future transcended super being, would take would start today of all days. I, temporarily acting Ensign(pending results of my third enrollment in the academy, and former acting Chef( pending repairs to sickbays stomach pumps), was completely taken off guard by today’s turn of events, totally unprepared despite my vaunted and superior intellect. I was in a heated, but completely logical, debate with the helmsman over how the pre-Reformation Klingon Empire was far worse than the current Romulan Empire, and making up a list of clever quips comparing the bridge officer to the Eugenicists, when out of the blue the red alert klaxon sounded and I was thrown to the deck as the ship lurched sideways. Now normally this would have been embarrassing but it luckly saved me from eating a face full of circuit plasma from an exploding console. The Helmsman hadn’t been so lucky, last I saw of him was as he slammed against the side wall and fell to a heap. I think he had burns as well but that is neither here nor there. The important thing is I, thinking quickly as I always do, leapt quickly into the vacated seat.

It smelled of ozone and was still quite warm but none the less I was back behind the ship again. Something the good Captain had said would never happen again after that slight detour. Frankly I thought I should have been commended for discovering a shorter route between Siga IV and Deneube. A pity we were supposed to be heading towards Rigel 7. Back to the matter at hand, my greatness as if every moment wasn’t that, I quickly deduced that I, and I alone, had survived unscathed from the forward con. The others all in various stages of having been burned from the console plasma. I can understand why you need such an energetic medium but did they have to channel the “release valves” directly at the crewmembers? Faulty engineering I could have avoided. So to reiterate I was the only one on forward con, made more so as the ship was struck again causing the ship to lurch in the other direction with myself thankfully holding onto the consol which thankfully didn’t overload. That happened elsewhere, I think science or metallurgy or somewhere. Not my console at any rate.

“Hard to port, status on shields?” Captain JediMasterSpock asked, composed and cool as a Vulcan despite the smoke and sparks in the air.” Do we have a sensor lock on who’s attacking us?”

“Shields coming on line now.” Roondar said clawing his way up his consol, voice burning from the acidic smoke billowing polluting the air.” I should have a weapon’s lock momentarily.”

“Have we identified the vessel?” JediMasterSpock asked as the ship shuddered again, more faintly this time.

“I’m scanning it now!” I proudly said.” I’m utilizing a new algorithm I programmed which will cut the normal time delay by half.”

“Anyone besides cadet Sonofccn? Anyone at all?” JediMasterSpock asked as a sixties rock ballad started, much to my dismay as I franticly started pressing buttons trying to find out what went wrong.

“I have a scan now.” Science officer Khas reported.” Its massive, well over a kilometer in length and bristling with tens of dozens of particle emitters of divergent size and power. The rate of fire is…awe inspiring however the accuracy leaves much to be desired. I believe Sonofccn has carried us beyond their effective weapon’s fire and combined with the shields we are no longer in any immediate danger. The alien vessel is not pursuing us.”

“We should swing around and press our advantage, fully disable them.” First Officer Mike DiCenso recommended.” They are clearly hostile.”

“Tactical analyses of their defensives?”

“Duel layer sir.” I answered, wishing to impress him with my diligence as well as make him forget the whole Ident program fiasco.” The ship as a whole is lathered in shield composed of “bent rays” the likes of which isn’t in any database. Then there are subsections which also have a magnetic force fields covering them. Sensors can’t be precise, the outer shield is acting like an energy damping field, but based upon drifting stellar debris only the magnetic shields are capable of stopping solid matter.”

“I see.” JediMasterSpock said as Khas nodded confirming the findings.” Bring us around and fire one torpedo, ten percent strength. Than open hailing channels informing that we wish to peacefully meet but will defend ourselves.”

“Yes sir.” I said, happy to performing my duties as only I could.

The captain’s plan worked beautifully, the torpedo scared the aliens so much they started talking. They didn’t say much, They came from an empire, had been misdirected by a space born phenomena and they had mistaken us for a Rebel ship. Ultimately they asked us to stay our distance claiming their ship had suffered damages and they were conducting repairs and two point five hours after first contact the vessel disappeared. I wasn’t on the bridge but it apparently impressed the top brass through had I been there I could have no doubt instantly understood what happened and reversed engineered it already. Anyway I proved myself to the captain and soon the others will have to realize my importance and skills.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 am

Khas wrote:On a different note, I was looking back at some of the really old posts, and JMS said that SFJ was going to host a webcomic about Trek-Wars. Well, maybe we could flesh this thing out, and submit it to him as the basis for said comic.
If there has to be some storyline done as a webcomic, I would not mind seeing JMS' YAWCF story adapted into one.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 am

Khas wrote:On a different note, I was looking back at some of the really old posts, and JMS said that SFJ was going to host a webcomic about Trek-Wars. Well, maybe we could flesh this thing out, and submit it to him as the basis for said comic.
I had a couple ideas when I was thinking about hosting a webcomic.

The most detailed was to have a series lampooning the debate itself, including thinly disguised characters and pastiches of characters actually in the debate exaggerating their characteristics, ranging from archetypical characters ("Me too"-ing stormtroopers, Darth Whatevers, Military Man, et cetera) to much more specific characters, such as the Guardian of Talking Forever. I think I wrote out satirical versions of a half dozen or so specific debaters.

If I'd actually launched it, it would have been exploring the absurdities of the VS debate through the eyes of some Everyman accidentally warped into the world of the VS debate. Naturally, the Jedi Master Spock character would have been his guide, a "logical" foil always giving the main character cliched Vulcan/Jedi advice on how to handle life in the weird world. I think I might have started putting together the first few strips, even, but I'd have to go looking to see.

Another idea was to post occasional photoshop crossover jokes. Since I'm not actually an artist, but I had been piecing together crossover pictures already to decorate the website, and figured putting funny captions on them might be worthwhile.

A third idea was to ask for submissions and post up anything that looked good or funny. I think at one point I was talking to a couple posters here who seemed interested in doing something with it, but that never came to anything.

If you do want to turn something VS-related or SFJ-related into a webcomic, putting it up on the website or linking to it from within the main page is something that can happen. It might be better to put it up on one of the big free webcomic hosts with me putting up a redirect on the current /comic placeholder page - they have better webcomic management software, I believe, and you might actually get some people to read it once in a while.