For Fun, the SFJ members crew a Starfleet vessel.

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: For Fun, the SFJ members crew a Starfleet vessel.

Post by Khas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 am

Lt. Cmdr. Khas - Sciences

"Death Star? The Force?" I asked. "What is that thing you just handed to the captain?"
"Curious, aren't you?" He asked.
"Hey, I'm the Chief Science Officer. Curiosity is just part of the job."
The "Jedi" sighed.
"Very well. The Death Star was a huge space station, armed with a superlaser capable..." He stopped, clearly holding something painful back. "...of destroying a planet in a single shot." Tears began welling up in his eyes. "And it was used to destroy my homeworld."
"Because you were a Jedi?" Roondar asked. "That's a bit extreme."
"They wouldn't go that far." Trinoya began. "Alderaan was destroyed, because our princess, Leia Organa wouldn't tell the Imperials were a Rebel base was."
"And how was the Death Star destroyed?" I asked. "Did a fleet of warships pound it until it was debris?"
"No. We sent thirty starfighters to attack it. The Death Star may have been huge, but it had one fatal flaw. A small, two-meter wide, thermal exhaust port that lead straight to the main reactor. A proton torpedo was used to take out the station."
"Wait, did you say proton torpedo?" I asked.
"Yes, why?"
"Oh, they just sound similar to our own photon torpedoes."
"Are those what were used to destroy the Star Destroyer?"
"No, those were quantum torpedoes. A photon torpedo has a matter-anntimatter reaction going on inside it. A quantum torpedo uses zero-point energy to create an explosion."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Lt Praeothmin, Security Chief:

When the... "Jedi"... pointed his hand, my first reflex was to grab my weapon.
Starfleet had met enough strange Aliens with seeming Telekinetic powers for me to be alert.
By the time the PADD had arrived in the strangers hand, I sighed relief, lowering the Phaser now pointing at the stranger, my finger on the "fire" button.
When he kneeled, and presented his strange cylinder to the Captain, I stepped between the two to make sure he didn't try anything.
I didn't know this person, this "Jedi", and perhaps, even though he seemed sincere, everything he told us was nothing but carefully crafted lies.
I wasn't about to let my guard down, even though I could understand why, if what he told us was true, this stranger hated the Empire as he did...
Damn, I hated them already...

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm

"Antimatter? Zero-point energy? Are you telling me that you use these normally?" Trinoya asked.
"Yes. We use a matter-antimatter reactor to power our ship." I replied/
"Isn't that highly unstable?"
"In the early years of warp-flight it was, but for three hundred years, we've used an element called dilithium to absorb the energies. So far, it's worked well." Trinoya stood dumbfounded for a second.
"Do you have other weapons that are just as advanced?" He asked.
"Sure. Just look at the phasers."
"Are those the guns that your crew uses?"
"Yup. We also have phaser banks spread over the ship."
"And how do they work?"
"By firing a beam of particles called nadions, that disrupt the strong nuclear force."
"And you say that these weapons are commonplace?"
"Yeah, every ship has them." I paused. "Now, about that cylinder you handed to the captain..."

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Because it would be a crime against humanity not too, another snippet:

Sonofccn,Ensign-

"You have me to thank for destroying those Empire goons." I inform our "guest" still trying to convince myself that I shouldn't be surprised that any brillaint gambit of mine succeeded.

"And a war." Khas was quick to remind me before resuming telling the "Jedi" everything about our weapons systems.

"Well if we salvage the core database of the ship and track their homeworld down I could whip up some nanobots which would end this..." I start before one of the security guards under Praeothmin's command tackled me to the ground.

"No. Just no. You are going to your quarters where you will remain until the captain can come with a way to deal...a way to properly discipline such a breach of conduct." The marine type guard snapped hauling me up like a pup and frog marching me torwards the door.

"I knew Roondar and Khas were jeaslouse of my awesome intellect but your boss too? Why? I only want to help?" I wail as I'm forced to leave the bridge.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:09 am

I looked at the lower ranked individual... "While I certainly appreciate the efforts undertaken to stop the Star Destroyer... the loss of life is never something to rejoice over.... ever... or to thank someone directly for the act of murder... as near as I can tell no one ordered you to kill them."

I looked at the officers. "Thank you again for your information, but I would ask that you do not share such valuable data with any survivors from the ship. They will not be forthcoming in any information... as far as computer cores, I assure you none of our computer cores survived an explosion of that size."

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 am

While Khas was working on revealing all our tactical secrets to a person we met just five minutes ago under dubious circumstances, I made a small trip to medical. My hand was feeling better after the medic treated it, but not great.

I could've asked him to stop, but I assumed he would be carefull enough not to start spouting yields and effective ranges, or actual technical details. One of the things I had to learn early on was that sometimes you just have to trust people. And your own crewmembers came pretty high on the 'trust' list.

After the doctor examined my hand and waved his high-end dermal regenerator over it I felt a lot better. Not that I'll ever understand how that stuff works, but it is convenient in times like this. Sadly, I saw that at least two of the wounded didn't make it. I knew Ensign Coral and Lt. Sovar myself, they would be sorely missed.

Back at the bridge, maintenance crews where already repairing the damage we had sustained. On my screen I saw something very unusual. It was beyond my understanding what exactly it was, but it seemed my tactical scans where heading into two very different sectors of space.

One being our own and one unimaginably far away.

"Khas.. Sorry to interrupt, but it seems I've got something here that is right up your alley here. What do you make of this?"

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

I looked at the readings Roondar gave me, and boy were they a shock. The sensors showed a great distortion, both in realspace and subspace.
"So, what is it?" Roondar asked.
"On my first guess, I would have said a wormhole, but from what the sensors show... it looks more like a transwarp conduit."

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Commander Enterprise E - Fighter Squadron Leader:

The fighting had seemed to stop after a short while, and after several minutes of no combat, I relaxed a bit. The battle seemed to be over. The vanishing of the red hue of the corridors and fighter bay, and the return to condition green and normal lighting told me that the fight was over, for the moment. I went over to the nearest console to see what had happened. I knew that the fact that we were still intact meant that we had won, but I had a bad feeling that the victory was only the beginning of something that would be much worse. Sure enough, I looked out the window for an instant managed to get a glimpse outside and saw some debris passing by. Checking the console, I saw that the enemy ship had been completely destroyed. At first, I was not all that concerned. That changed when Lt. Commander Hunter approached me and, looking dour, said, "Hey Commander, you heard yet?"

"Heard what?" I asked, dreading what was coming next.

"Acting Ensign Sonofccn just destroyed the enemy warship. From what everyone else has been saying, he took control of the torpedo launch system and fired a volley of torpedoes that destroyed the enemy ship."

That did not sound so bad, to me. I had always viewed things as better safe than sorry, especially if the enemy had fired first. But if I was hearing about this now, and given that Lt. Commander Hunter wasn't thrilled, then there had to be a "but" in there somewhere. Hunter soon told me what the "but" was, "The Captain, however, had only wanted phasers to be fired in order to disable its weapons systems and stop it from firing on us. Also, there is a strange person onboard. He's evidently from another galaxy, but he's also human."

"Human?" I asked. This was surprising. I knew that there had been humans seeded and transplanted from Earth by other races throughout the Milky Way galaxy, at least in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, but in another galaxy?

"Yeah," he responded. "But that's not all. I don't know all of what he told the Captain or the rest of the bridge crew, but something's up. The bridge officers that I ran into seemed to be more tense ever since the intrepid Sonofccn had destroyed the enemy. Some have said that he may have started a war."

Yeah, that would be a big "but". Still, I had a feeling that a war with this new enemy would likely be unavoidable if they managed to make contact with us. I don't know why I had that feeling, I just did. I turned to Lt. Commander Hunter and gave him a PADD. I then told him, "Lt. Commander Hunter, gather the rest of the squadron and get to the simulators. I want you to prepare to practice these simulations."

Taking the PADD, he asked, "What's on it?"

"Flight simulations for long range and short range dogfighting using our new Katana Class starfighters. I have a feeling that those skills will be needed quite soon."

During the Dominion War, the Attack Fighters fielded by the Federation had always attacked larger ships. I had only been a Lieutenant then, but I was amazed at the fact that the neither the Dominion, nor the Cardassians or Breen had ever fielded fighters of their own. At worst, they would have made good phaser sponges, forcing Federation ships to destroy them quickly before they could launch torpedoes, but they never did. I was also surprised at the lack of fighter use by the Klingons and Romulans, even after the war, especially given how the Klingons viewed dying in battle to be a great honor, and how the Romulans were very willing to sacrifice a few individuals for the greater good. I had tried to advocate the development of new starfighters designed to combat enemy starfighters. Only recently had Starfleet finally approved the development of the Katana Class multirole starfighter, and only after the Reman Incident four years ago and the appearance of the Reman Scorpion fliers. I had a feeling that these new fighters would prove their worth very shortly.

"So, what are you going to do in the meantime?" Lt. Commander Hunter asked me.

"I'm going to see the Captain," I replied. "I want to know if that new enemy out there uses starfighters. I think they do, though, but I want to be sure. And if they do, I want to have a heads up on training before we engage any enemy fighters." I then paused for a moment. "There is also something else..." I left the rest unsaid. Truthfully, I wanted to meet this new person that had been brought onboard our ship. I had a feeling that he was like me, in more ways than one. "Have the squadron ready when I get back. We'll begin simulations then," assuming that there aren't any more emergencies that would require our skills in the meantime.

"Yes sir."

I then made my way up to the bridge. On the way, I could feel power flowing through me, just as it had when I was in battle during the Dominion War. Something was going to happen. I just knew it.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 pm

"Transwarp?" Roondar asked. "You mean the Borg are here?"
"They might have been here, or some other race with transwarp capabilities. Hopefully the latter."
Meanwhile, the "Jedi", Trinoya stood confused.
"Borg?" He asked.
"A race of cybernetically-enhanced humanoids. Their sole mission is to assimilate all technology and sentient life into themselves. Hive-minded, emotionless, cold, and tough as hell to beat. Add in the fact that they adapt to energy weapons, and give them numbers at the very least in the trillions, with millions of starships, and you'll have an idea as to what they are.
"However, they only go for sentient beings who can benefit them biologically or technologically. And from what I've seen you're powers would provide the only benefit to the Borg in your galaxy."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Lt. Praeothmin, Security Chief:

The mention of the Borg brought shivers down my spine.
If there was one enemy I never, ever wanted to encounter again, it was them.
I had been a low ranking security officer on the Enterprise when the Borg had made first contact, and when Captain Picard had been abducted by them...

"Trust us, I said to the "Jedi", You never want to meet them! Once they "lock on" to you, they do not back down, or let go!
They are relentless, remorseless, and as inhuman as can be.
There is no experience as scary as facing them while staring at these unblinking, unfeeling eyes..."
I let my expression convey the rest of my feelings, not wanting to talk about them, almost fearing that mention of them would bring a Borg vessel at our location...

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

I noted that the mere mention of the Borg always has the same result aboard a Federation starship - people tensed up and you could see them feel as though merely mentioning the Borg would cause a fleet of cubes to appear.

A logical reaction, even our highest end weapons where peanuts compared to what they could take. Not too mention their ships tended to be downright huge, furthering their technological advantages by raw power.

You can never be too carefull. I pressed in the proper commands for a long range scan.

"Long range tactical scans are not picking up Borg vessels, but we are picking up two starships of unknown configuration at the other end of that distortion. Though they are not moving, I recommend caution, if they belong to this 'empire' we might be in trouble considering we are still damaged."

Still, the idea of the Borg possibly being nearby - or hiding in Transwarp - was not good. Not good at all. As a precaution, I reset the shield and weapons to a non-standard frequency. That way at least our first hit should be effective.

I noted on the scanner display that our fighters had started their simulations. Personally, I never was very fond of fighters but their succes in the Dominion war could not be understated. And there was a certain logic in having smaller ships about. Especially given their weapons load out. Impressive for such small ships, thats for sure.

At any rate, their presence reminded me, I had been musing about integrating the ships tactical scanners with the fighters onboard ones. If succesfull, we could aid our fighter pilots quite a bit. Life expectancy of such small ships was not good, so any aid we could give them out there was certainly worth the effort. With that in mind, I decided to deliver a padd with the idea to our fighter squad leader.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:50 am

The turbolift doors opened and I made my way onto the bridge, a place that I have rarely been. I recognized the main bridge crew, often times seeing them in the Ten Forward lounge. I scanned for Captain JediMasterSpock but I could not find him on the bridge. I figured that he was in his ready room. I quickly made my way towards the captain. I had some suggestions for him and I also wanted to know if he had gleaned any information on any potential starfighters that this new enemy may have had.

I rang the chime, announcing my presence and waited for a moment. I heard a calm, yet firm "come" sound over the speakers. I entered his quarters and noticed that he was hard at work reading reports of various sorts. "I'm not interrupting you, sir, am I," I asked. I wanted to be as polite as possible, since I did not want the captain to disregard my suggestions and I also wanted any information that I could get on any potential new fighters we may be facing from this new enemy.

"Not at all," the captain responded. "What is on your mind?"

"Two things," I answered. "First, I was wondering if there was any information on any potential starfighters that the enemy might have. I know that someone who was associated with this new enemy had talked to you. While, like you, I hope that war can be averted, I want to be prepared in case we have to face this new enemy."

"I have heard nothing about them, yet," the captain began. "But I believe that they do field such ships. Logically speaking, I would guess that they have shields and energy and torpedo weapons since the Rebel starfighters in this galaxy seem to be equipped with them. They are likely fast and maneuverable, but not well-defended compared to our own starfighters and shuttles."

"That brings me to my next point," I said. "I was hoping to have all of the shuttle pilots, even command crew members that are also shuttle pilots to participate in shuttle simulations where they would have to combat starfighters and enemy starships. There is a possibility that shuttles may be needed to supplement starfighters in combat should we be heavily outnumbered in battle." I handed him a PADD. "Here are some of the scenarios that I have programmed. I wasn't planning on presenting this to you so soon, but given this new enemy we may need everything we can get. I also have some ideas, on the PADD as well, about how starfighers could be used to aid in long range point defense for our capital ships as well."

The captain took the PADD and said, "Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into your request as soon as possible."

I then thanked him. Under most captains, such a statement would likely mean that they would look into it if they remembered after a few weeks at best. With Jedi Master Spock, however, he really would look into it quickly. That reminded me that I had to go back to my own squadron and participate in point defense simulations. I had a feeling that these were going to be essential in the near future. I then heard the captain ask, "Is that all, Commander?"

"Yes, sir," I responded, and I left.

On the bridge of the ship, I caught sight of the strange newcomer. I could sense power emanating from him and I stood still for a moment, staring at him. He must have sensed me, for he immediately stopped whatever he had been doing and turned to face me. Our eyes met and I knew that this person had a power that very few others had. I also knew that our power was one and the same, and that he likely knew my secret. Very few people knew my secret besides my own parents, my second in command Lt. Commander Hunter, and maybe Captain JediMasterSpock. Eventually, I broke eye contact with the unknown newcomer.

As I was about to depart, Lieutenant Roondar found me. "Hey," he called over. "Hey, Enterprise E, could I see you for a second?"

"Sure," I responded as I was taken aside. Roondar handed me a PADD.

I examined the PADD and my eyes lit up in glee. This day was beginning to look a little better now. "I hope that these modifications will be enable us to help you guys when you go out there," he told me. I knew they would. Integrating the starship's own scanners with our fighters' would greatly boost their own effectiveness, especially against other potential starfighters, especially with the superior range of the StarfleetJedi's sensors. I thanked him. Then I whispered into his ear, "Thank again, Roondar. I have only one request. When we integrate our sensors, make sure you find a way to Sonofccn from being able to tamper with the sensors on either end. I know he means well, at least I hope he does, but I'm worried that he'll screw something up."

"Yeah, you and me both," Roondar responded. "I'll be glad to do so."

I then departed from the bridge and made my way back down to the holodeck simulators. I was going to be busy for the next few days at the very least, between participating in simulations, helping Roondar integrate the ships targeting sensors with our fighters', creating new point defense simulations for the pilots, and creating new simulations to train the shuttle pilots should shuttles be needed in battle. And that was assuming that we'd be lucky enough not to be pulled into another battle in the near future, something that I was not counting on.
Last edited by Enterprise E on Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 pm

"I see the starships. They're three hundred meters long, and armed with the same type of plasma weaponry. Both are heading toward the conduit." I said as I looked at the sensors. After a flash of light, the two ships entered the visual sensor's range. Each one looked like a long pill with a big engine at the back, and a fin going down the underbelly. Trinoya's eyes widened with recognition.
"Nebulon-Bs!" he said.
"Friend, or foe?"

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

I reached out with the force to ascertain just who was in control of this all too common ship... I hadn't been aware of any following me, but with several star destroyers bearing down on me I didn't have the time to exactly search.

The force gave me crystal clarity on the situation...

"They belong to the empire... they're more nimble than the star destroyers, but less adapt at combat. They're sending them through to scout... I recommend you blame the destruction of that star destroyer on me, they will believe it... and it will give you a chance to open a dialogue. If I may request, if you have any fighters on board it may be in your best interest to escort me to one." I searched out again. "The captains both are intent on scouting not fighting..." I looked up at one... her name was quite clear... the Tarkin... her captain was the brother of the very captain of the Imperial... the star destroyer this ship had just destroyed... "I recommend extreme diplomatic resolve, if they've sent more ships through they know it can be traversed."

I could feel it... the force was playing god again... it was manipulating these events specifically, but to what end and why?

I decided to think on it no more and investigate any chance of obtaining a new fighter or vessel.

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Tue May 04, 2010 8:03 am

These 'Empire' ships made no sense whatsoever. Oversized sublight engines, a very odd FTL drive - which appeared to be generations ahead of all their other tech. The whole ship was apparently powered by some form of hyperdense fusion reactors...

And thats just the basics. Their weapons and shields where even more convulated - two distinct shielding systems, one of which seemed to be unnecessary given their weapons seemed to be energy based only.

Unless... Unless they had other ships using impact based weapons or missiles maybe. That would be very odd missiles if their energy shields didn't stop them, but everything about these people was odd.

"These Nebulon-B's are decidely less powerfull overall than the 'Star Destroyer' we encountered earlier. However, considering the damage we where dealt earlier I'd recommend against a direct engagement."

Engineering had done a great job of emergency repairs, but it was evident that full repairs would take several hours yet. As it was, shields where running at full strength except in the starboard section, where I didn't trust them to be pushed over 20-30%. The plasma feeds where restored. Energy wasn't the problem, but the emitter was reading close to overheating all the time.

It would have to wait, a flashing signal on my console required more immediate attention. To weak to be a weapon, it had to be a scan.

"Captain, we are being scanned. Correction - it seems one of the Nebulon-B ships is scanning the entire region in great detail"

If I didn't know better, I'd say they where mapping this sector of space. But that would be silly, surely that could wait until they had resolved the immediate issue?