Watchdog presents some of his image collections.

For the linking to, discussion, and/or display of graphic art, video, music, galleries, comic strips, and other creative works.
watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:56 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:The now sadly defunct ST:Communicator magazine first published this cutaway drawing couple of years ago, which had call-outs for most of the features. Before this, SciPubTech did a three-quarters view cutaway very similar to it, I'll have to check what, if anything is labeled for that part of the ship.
-Mike
Actually the cutaway was originally for the CD/ROM 'Captains Chair'. I first saw it years ago at the LA county fair (an hour or so later I met and shook Brock Peters hand, played Adm. Cartwright and Ben Sisco's dad).
I have the Scipubtech poster... in storage...back home in California. I ran across a copy of the poster last night when I found the refit Enterprise on Google, but the pic is way too small to see any detail. It did have a lable for the cones though I just dont remember what it was.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:05 am

I just checked the SciPubTech poster's callout for the part of the nacelle interior in question, and it is listed simply as "antimatter containment".
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:32 am

AM containment? Is there anything else in the pic that says something that might be a matter collector/convertor? Aside from the ramscoops? Maybe it's some on the fly 'mini-warp core', like a warp core in battery size?

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 pm

As I recall the poster showed something like a warp core directly under the floor in egineering as well as it being the conversion chamber. But you have to keep in mind, the poster has a number of diferences from the now official cutaway I posted, the only main similarity is the layout of the nacelles. And even the cutaway has a couple of things that are different from what was seen in the episode of Enterprise.

This is pretty much what the scipub tech poster was based on;

If you have the poster you can see the many points of similarity, I could find only one small image of the poster;
Once again the official cutaway;
Take a look at where the aft phasers are on this schematic;
Contrast that with where the phasers were coming from in the episode 'in a mirror darkly' which in some ways makes more sense.
Interesting.

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:44 pm

If I recall correctly, that was declared to be a blooper or smth and phasers weren't meant to emanate from there.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Could be, but it makes a certain amount of sense when you think about it, somewhat beter firing arc.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:17 am

It's not a blooper that the phasers are firing from emitters mounted on either side of the large shuttlecraft hanger "beacon" dome. The actual blooper was that the aft torpedoes were supposed to fire from the little round hole between the impulse engine squares, but were instead made to fire from somewhere just above the hanger deck doors. About where the diagram placed the phaser emitters, actually...
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:46 am

At last I have found a copy of the comic book 'Shadows of the Empire; Evolutions' which feature a very interesting beginning, what does everyone think?
Image[/img]
Just one of many pieces of evidence the warsies like to ignore.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:12 am

So that's a spread of six torpedos from a 28m ship destroying a Star Destroyer?

I don't think I've ever seen any figure quite that low before.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm

But, JMS, you're missing the obvious:
Each torpedo was able to vaporize a continent, don't you see???

:)

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:49 pm

In all fairness I always assumed that the area where the torpedos struck was a weak point for the shields, case in point, ten Proton torpedos;

The torps Guri fired were bigger than any protorps I've ever seen. Someone at SB suggested long ago that these may have been something called a space bomb??? But there is quite a bit of evidence for torps being able to unbalance the shields. I next want to find a copy of the x-wing comic 'Phantom Affair.' it shows two x-wings launching around seven torpedos at an interdictor at the exact same spot these torpedos are seen to hit here. the dialog in the book is; "two strikes sir, the first might unbalance our shields long enough to..." the leading torpedos hit the shield and explode...the trailing torpedos hit the same spot, pass through the shields and hit the hull... When and if I can find a copy, I will be posting that here as well, part of my never-ending battle to prove that torpedos can be a detriment, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:56 am

Wookieepedia describes them as "assault proton torpedos." At best, though, we're dealing with capital grade proton torpedos, which are not all that much more powerful. IIRC, a capital ship's proton torpedos are only ~4 times as strong as a fighter's, and certainly (given the sizes) not much more than an order of magnitude stronger at most.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:39 am

Well, given that, either the durrability of ISD's has been grossly inflated, or there is more to the Guri event than meets the eye. She is an android for one thing and she was Prince Xizor's personal body guard. The possibility exists that she may have been using torpedos that were wanked out beyond normal, the book states that she knows a few tricks. The thing that always caught my eye was where the torpedos impacted, and the fact that in the x-wing comics I mentioned there are torpedo strikes to the exact same area. I always figured it was a weak point for the shields, but who knows. It may be a weak point for the ship although I cant imagine how.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 am

That's Guri, the droid? One the one side, that droid is hot. It's a shame, that's a droid.
On the other side, it is a perfect example why many people don't like the Star Wars Expanded Universe.
Such a droid violates the concept of Star Wars, as it was designed by George Lucas. Droids in Star Wars don't look like human beings. Even the medical droids and even the midwife droids don't look like human beings - although for them, the regular need to look like a sensitive, trustfully and confidentially human being should be the highest.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm

She was some kind of unique or very rare model. A bit like Data I think.
I'm not even sure if the technology used to create her was still available. I don't think so.

And, sure, if you're going to make a human looking droid, let it be hawt. ;)

She looks like Samus Aran.