Watchdog presents some of his image collections.

For the linking to, discussion, and/or display of graphic art, video, music, galleries, comic strips, and other creative works.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Praeothmin wrote:But, JMS, you're missing the obvious:
Each torpedo was able to vaporize a continent, don't you see???

:)
Any proof that each torp couldn't do that?

This is a top ship from one of the highest figure in the Black Sun criminal organization.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:21 am

Guri was of a very special and extreamly expensive model of android and as such you dont see many like her around. As for George Lucas, he practically hyped this book as the next big event in Star Wars, I think they even released a radio drama based off of the book.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 pm

At long last I have found the last of my images;

That was from the comic Phantom affair, this is from manditory retirement;

And the final effect of their attack;

I feel compleate at last, at any rate these are the last of the images that I began talking about at least ten or more years ago when I first got into this debate. I recognize that the debate has moved on to bigger and better things but I feel so much better all the same, especially about the first set showing the shield impact.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:41 pm

What are those things in pic 2? Is the SD pregnant or just very fat?

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 pm

No, it's ISD variant with interdictor field generators.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:38 am

Interesting in how the artist used the ISD II's conning tower for the Interdictor there. It would make the Interdictor nearly as big as an ISD, if it was scaled using the conning tower only.
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:01 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Interesting in how the artist used the ISD II's conning tower for the Interdictor there. It would make the Interdictor nearly as big as an ISD, if it was scaled using the conning tower only.
-Mike
As the Interdictor pictured there is a specific ISD-variant, it is actually as big as an ISD. It's just that there's several types of Interdictor vessel rather than the (admittedly more common) Immobiliser-class cruiser.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah it's a different class of interdictor, when I first made mention of this scene many eons ago on SB someone there pointed that out to me. If I search the archives there for some of my old posts I might even find the name he gave.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Also interesting is the detail the artist put into on the ISD's brim trench:

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blz15fa6.jpg

Not only is this highly accurate to the actual Avenger model used in TESB, but if you look closely, several of the (presumably) medium TL gun turrents look very much like their Death Star counterparts.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:46 pm

watchdog wrote:That was from the comic Phantom affair, this is from manditory retirement;

And the final effect of their attack;

I feel compleate at last, at any rate these are the last of the images that I began talking about at least ten or more years ago when I first got into this debate. I recognize that the debate has moved on to bigger and better things but I feel so much better all the same, especially about the first set showing the shield impact.
What I find particularly curious is that the Rebel fighters have, on the one hand, no difficulty in taking down the shields and causing minor damage, but supposedly cannot actually destroy the target. That's quite puzzling.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 am

What I always found strange was that Wedge didnt think they'd be able to destroy the target, but he was hoping that the ISD commander would think that they could.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Well it seems that the only way they could take down the shields was using missiles.
Perhaps they had limited supplies of those.
And even with the shield down, if you only have cannons left with which to attack, the guns on the ISD could probably destroy them before they do any damage.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:20 pm

I always gave the imps a bit of credit; I assumed the shields were weak for some reason in that spot. You notice that the three comic examples I have posted show no less than 6 torpedoes all targeting the exact same area of the ship. If you could just mass torpedoes to any part of the ship I would imagine that would have been shown, but each of the three examples show a simultaneous strike at the same point of each ship. After that the ship is tough enough to withstand the combined firepower of several flights of fighters albeit not without some significant damage, the fighters would probably run out of power for their weapons before they could really start to heavily damage the ship.

Back before I joined SB I had my last e-mail exchange with Mike Wong and I brought this up, he insisted that scenes in TPM contradicted the comic incidents and labeled the entire X-wing franchise as new republic propaganda or some such ( supposedly because the books were based off of video games). The thing was, I was not arguing that fighters could destroy ISD’s; I was arguing that a mass of torpedoes in the right spot could knock out the shields. His example of the torpedoes fired at the Trade Federation ship is a nonsequitor, it's not an ISD and the torpedoes were not massed and focused at a single point on the hull. The most number of torpedoes fired was 4, they weren’t synched with one another and they were fired at random spots of the hull, none of this invalidates my examples.

My reasoning was that as far as I could see, trek torpedoes were way more powerful than any seen in wars and thus if this tactic became known, it would give trek a bit of an advantage. The unknowns are how long the shields are off line when this tactic works, calls into question how quickly you can deal damage to keep the shields offline, the last couple of pages I posted give a slight suggestion on that question.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Of course when you really stop and think about it; it always comes down to the question of why have fighters at all, if Mike Wong’s position is correct. He claims that the fighters are used to augment the big guns of cap ships, but that tactic doesn’t make much sense when up against his claimed levels of firepower and shield strength. It would make more sense to have really, really light guns on an ISD for the more precise pinpoint shooting rather than massing fighters, this calls into question the accuracy of the weapons.

An ISD should not need to launch fighters at all when they are after another ship if the accompanying fighters are inconsequential, they should be able to hammer their way through any fighter screen without worry why bother engadging enemy fighters with your own if the fighters cant damage you at all. Kill the mother ship and either grab as many fighters with tractor beams to be picked off or simply leave them in deep space. I think Mr. Wong is making the same mistake the Empire made with the Death Star, and the Trade Fed made in TPM; they assumed that nothing could get through their shields or that nothing of any significance could penetrate their defenses, that is not proper military thinking. I do not buy Mr. Wongs ideas on this, his tactics are really not very good and fly in the face of much of what we see in Star Wars. I would agree that fighters alone would really not be able to take out a capital ship, but to suggest that they are compleatly useless is a strange position given what has been seen in most of the Star Wars movies to date, I mean if the ships were really impervious to fighter fire power, then fighters would have been rendered obsolete long ago and fallen out of military use. The whole of Star Wars history is against him here.