garden redesign

For the linking to, discussion, and/or display of graphic art, video, music, galleries, comic strips, and other creative works.
Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

garden redesign

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Ok so its not exactly a art form but its not often i get to redo a entire garden with a limited area and this one turned out pretty nice overall.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: garden redesign

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Very nice, you almost seem like you know what you're doing... :P

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Very nice, you almost seem like you know what you're doing... :P

lol thanks.

I get larger areas to do regularly but very few are full redesigns with multiple components as its mostly just a large areas of turfing, slabbing, graveling or block paving as such i love it when its a total redesign even if its a smaller area like this one was.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Are you the short black dude at the gate? ;)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Are you the short black dude at the gate? ;)
Both the guys seen are called Steven one is a employee the other is the child of the people i was doing the job for a great little lad, i was holding the camera..

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Are you the short black dude at the gate? ;)
Both the guys seen are called Steven one is a employee the other is the child of the people i was doing the job for a great little lad, i was holding the camera..
Yeah, I kinda deduced that... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:32 am

Nice job!
The metal fence is a good change from the random wooden fence we see everywhere.
A couple of flowers in those elevated brick booths and it will look ace.
Now, looking at the garden sprinkler, I saw that the gates' control panel was directly exposed, and since the casing is made of wood and perhaps not ultra sealed, it may prove problematic over time.
I also noticed that a lot of water would probably get wasted cause these guys are trying to supply water to what essentially is a rectangle, while the sprinkler diffuses water over a radius. They should buy an oscillating horizontal sprinkler.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/sprink ... klers.html

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Nice job!

The metal fence is a good change from the random wooden fence we see everywhere.

A couple of flowers in those elevated brick booths and it will look ace.

Now, looking at the garden sprinkler, I saw that the gates' control panel was directly exposed, and since the casing is made of wood and perhaps not ultra sealed, it may prove problematic over time.

I also noticed that a lot of water would probably get wasted cause these guys are trying to supply water to what essentially is a rectangle, while the sprinkler diffuses water over a radius. They should buy an oscillating horizontal sprinkler.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/sprink ... klers.html
Thanks!.

The metal fencing was my idea actually and while it is roughly 4 times or more the price of normal wooden fencing i recommend it every time (even if it is just used decoratively) even if it means budgeting elsewhere on your design.

I personally would go for a few decorative monoliths in the brick booths over planting but that is a matter of personal taste obviously.

The gate has yet to be mechanised but it is going to be later according to the owner and i assume any electrics will come with a sealed container or recommendations for such and could potentially fit into it.

I noticed the issue with the sprinkler and suggested they move it to one end of the rectangle, as its sweep is adjustable it now covers almost all the lawn without wasting water and moving it periodically to the other end of the garden solves what it misses.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:37 am

How do you go about planning everything? Do you use a CAD program, draw it up by hand, or what?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Lucky wrote:How do you go about planning everything? Do you use a CAD program, draw it up by hand, or what?
I tend to go by the customers rough idea that can sometimes contain a few oddities ect and try to guide them with hand drawings or visual guides to a more realistic and attractive setup.

For instance the customers idea for the path was two small curves that looked like a pair of tiny tits (i phrased it a bit differently than that obviously) so i encouraged the large yin/yang curve so the outward curve could perhaps fit a nice bistro set without ruining the overall path design theme and reducing grass area by making it to large and turning it into a small patio.

The black metal railing design is always a huge eye catcher so i mentioned that to him as a good idea for replacement fencing and they loved it.

They initially wanted a step made totally from the block paving but you cannot really do that because the edges of the block have lugs on and even using my diamond blade it does not look nice so i showed him and his wife the LK and LK/E style kerb edgings you see and told him it makes very nice lookin steps.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Lucky wrote:How do you go about planning everything? Do you use a CAD program, draw it up by hand, or what?
I tend to go by the customers rough idea that can sometimes contain a few oddities ect and try to guide them with hand drawings or visual guides to a more realistic and attractive setup.

For instance the customers idea for the path was two small curves that looked like a pair of tiny tits (i phrased it a bit differently than that obviously) so i encouraged the large yin/yang curve so the outward curve could perhaps fit a nice bistro set without ruining the overall path design theme and reducing grass area by making it to large and turning it into a small patio.

The black metal railing design is always a huge eye catcher so i mentioned that to him as a good idea for replacement fencing and they loved it.

They initially wanted a step made totally from the block paving but you cannot really do that because the edges of the block have lugs on and even using my diamond blade it does not look nice so i showed him and his wife the LK and LK/E style kerb edgings you see and told him it makes very nice lookin steps.
Are you saying that you only have an idea in your head when making the final plan as to where everything is going to go?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Lucky wrote: Are you saying that you only have an idea in your head when making the final plan as to where everything is going to go?
No the final plan is the final plan but everything is fluid up to the point of construction so any minor modifications that will increase the attractiveness of the design can be discussed and implemented.

When i dug up that horrible slabbing and decking i found about 6-10 inches of sand and class 1 subgrade plus a MASSIVE 3mtr x 3mtr slab of reinforced concrete under it that needed to be smashed and all dug up, removed in skips and replaced by topsoil as you cannot lay a lawn on any of that crap.

But as i am a freaking genius i always tell the customer that the initial price does not include the removal of such material under existing slabs or the skips to do so as you never know wtf is under that crap, sometimes you get lucky and its just soil with a bit of slab laying material and sometimes its what he had so i just reprice the job accordingly and he says yes or no.

It is always a good idea cos you never know wtf is under a large slabbed area without lifting it all and looking.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Lucky wrote: Are you saying that you only have an idea in your head when making the final plan as to where everything is going to go?
No the final plan is the final plan but everything is fluid up to the point of construction so any minor modifications that will increase the attractiveness of the design can be discussed and implemented.

When i dug up that horrible slabbing and decking i found about 6-10 inches of sand and class 1 subgrade plus a MASSIVE 3mtr x 3mtr slab of reinforced concrete under it that needed to be smashed and all dug up, removed in skips and replaced by topsoil as you cannot lay a lawn on any of that crap.

But as i am a freaking genius i always tell the customer that the initial price does not include the removal of such material under existing slabs or the skips to do so as you never know wtf is under that crap, sometimes you get lucky and its just soil with a bit of slab laying material and sometimes its what he had so i just reprice the job accordingly and he says yes or no.

It is always a good idea cos you never know wtf is under a large slabbed area without lifting it all and looking.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Do you, or do you not map where everything will go in the finished product within reason?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Lucky wrote:I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Do you, or do you not map where everything will go in the finished product within reason?
Yes i map everything out within reason, i use pen and paper and not CAD or any other software at the moment.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 am

looks really nice "modern" but also not so much. Cute kid how often do you have to do projects like this?