Anyone here good with video-editing?

For the linking to, discussion, and/or display of graphic art, video, music, galleries, comic strips, and other creative works.
KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:28 pm

I wanted to make a comeback to the lame Star Trek vs. Star Wars DMP version.

It's pretty easy to splice with the original one to produce an awesome version where Picard destroys the Death Star.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 pm

I don't really see any need to change the original ST vs SW's ending as it is suprisingly well-balanced where both sides are concerned. The only thing I would do is some clean up to the editing so the scenes spliced together flow better (like the other does), as well as some cleaning and improvements to the special effects.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain
Posts: 1246
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:13 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:I wanted to make a comeback to the lame Star Trek vs. Star Wars DMP version.

It's pretty easy to splice with the original one to produce an awesome version where Picard destroys the Death Star.
Showing Data firing weapons and popping the star destroyer while the crew are being choked and them being released because of it would be better.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:47 pm

The DMP version is hilarious, but it does make a few little goof-ups. The ending didn't make any sense in having Data "abandon ship" when he could have done as you say, and fire the E-D's weapons to finish off the star destroyer. Also there's a bit of a scaling issue when the ISD closes in on the E-D. A super star destroyer would've made more sense.
-Mike

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
KirkSkywalker wrote:I wanted to make a comeback to the lame Star Trek vs. Star Wars DMP version.

It's pretty easy to splice with the original one to produce an awesome version where Picard destroys the Death Star.
Showing Data firing weapons and popping the star destroyer while the crew are being choked and them being released because of it would be better.
No, just show Data laughing again (since that Sith-powers stuff obviously won't work in ship-combat).
(Alternate: if you want, splice in the scene here at 5:47, and show the God *Kirk* putting for his power against Vader's.)

Then show Picard destroying the Star Detroyers.


Then cut to the original video: show the Death Star sequence where they talk the Emperor.

Then when the Death Star fires its superlaser, and THAT'S where it burns out some equipment on the bridge etc.

THEN, cut to the part where Picard says "Number One, I think we have been exemplary in our patience!" etc.

THEN, show the part where he says "fire torpedo!" and show the Enterprise firing 2 torpedoes.
THEN, cut to the ending of "A New Hope" at 03:28 here, where the torpedoes go into the Death Star's exhaust-port.

THEN, cut to the show the Dearth Star blowing up.
Then, show the ending from "Nemesis" (or whatever else you wanna throw in there.)

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:58 pm

[quote="Mike DiCenso"]The DMP version is hilarious, /quote]
Up to just before the stupid ending, true; but it didn't intend to be; it's one of those "the Force can do anything" taunts, which is intended to mean that Trek's superior technology doesn't matter because Darth Vader can just use his magic powers blah-blah-blah.

Obviously, they can't do any of those tricks through energy-shields or at that distance etc. (They must have seen it in the EU, and consider it canon).
However if they want to play that game, just show Kirk using his powers that he had in Plato's Stepshildren, and that he can get back at any time within hours.

Heck, just show Kirk trashing the Star Destroyers and the Death Star by putting his hand out.
Or when the Emperor says "You don't know the power of the Dark Side!" have Kirk respond "We have twice the power of anyone here!" etc.

User avatar
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:58 am
Location: Paradise Mountain

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Fighters are very against starships. Pwoof.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:The DMP version is hilarious, /quote]
Up to just before the stupid ending, true; but it didn't intend to be; it's one of those "the Force can do anything" taunts, which is intended to mean that Trek's superior technology doesn't matter because Darth Vader can just use his magic powers blah-blah-blah.

Obviously, they can't do any of those tricks through energy-shields or at that distance etc. (They must have seen it in the EU, and consider it canon).
However if they want to play that game, just show Kirk using his powers that he had in Plato's Stepshildren, and that he can get back at any time within hours.

Heck, just show Kirk trashing the Star Destroyers and the Death Star by putting his hand out.
Or when the Emperor says "You don't know the power of the Dark Side!" have Kirk respond "We have twice the power of anyone here!" etc.

The point of the video is to poke fun at some of the more common and sometimes ridiculous claims from the whole ST vs SW debate by having the E-D totally immune to the ISD's weapons, and the E-D easily disabling the ISD with a few torpedoes. But then have everyone on the E-D, except Data, sucumb to Vader's Force powers. So no, it's not being accurate, but it was clearly never intended to be in the first place as a satirical work.
-Mike

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Then why'd the empire win?

And you're saying that an ion-cannon is more powerful than a photon-torpedo?

Likewise, there's no reason why Star Destroyers would be able to cut through the Enterprise's tactical deflectors; again, it's space-bending tech and would require subspace-based technology in order to get through it; so only the Death Star's beam could give it any trouble.

The Dude
Jedi Knight
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by The Dude » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Oh for christ sake, it's supposed to be funny. If you reversed it and had the Empire blasting the crap out of the E-D, how're they going to turn the tables, have Troi mind-beam then pics of her sweater puppies?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Now you're being irrational again. I'm not saying anything of the sort, and I would appreciate you not using stupid strawman crap in trying to put words in my mouth. The work is satire, they are making use of available footage from both franchises, so using the TESB ion cannon hit made sense. Do you really believe that Data breaks up laughing all time? Of course not. It's a work of satire. They took either side's expectations and set them on end. The E-D easily defeated the ISD, going against the Warsies' expectation, and Vader Force-chokes all the E-D crew, going against Trekkie expectations about how powerful the Force is. Everyone else gets this, but you. Now why is that?
-Mike

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 am

The Dude wrote:Oh for christ sake, it's supposed to be funny.
It's not funny because it's not true; contrary to much of what's on Youtube, lame plagiarism is not satire.
If you reversed it and had the Empire blasting the crap out of the E-D, how're they going to turn the tables, have Troi mind-beam then pics of her sweater puppies?
Now that WOULD be funny.
Or when the Empire's blasting them, shower saying "Captain, I'm sensing hostility!"

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Now you're being irrational again. I'm not saying anything of the sort, and I would appreciate you not using stupid strawman crap in trying to put words in my mouth.
You said:
The point of the video is to poke fun at some of the more common and sometimes ridiculous claims from the whole ST vs SW debate by having the E-D totally immune to the ISD's weapons, and the E-D easily disabling the ISD with a few torpedoes.
An ion-canon can disable a star-destroyer with a few shots: so if you claim that a few torpedoes can't do it, then you're claiming that an ion-canon is more powreful.

The work is satire, they are making use of available footage from both franchises, so using the TESB ion cannon hit made sense. Do you really believe that Data breaks up laughing all time? Of course not. It's a work of satire. They took either side's expectations and set them on end. The E-D easily defeated the ISD, going against the Warsies' expectation, and Vader Force-chokes all the E-D crew, going against Trekkie expectations about how powerful the Force is. Everyone else gets this, but you. Now why is that?
-Mike
You're confused; you're the only one presenting that interpretation, and it's NOT what the vid shows.
It's supposed to be "funny" by saying that Star Wars is better because of "the Force."

"Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here."

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:52 am

KirkSkywalker wrote:An ion-canon can disable a star-destroyer with a few shots: so if you claim that a few torpedoes can't do it, then you're claiming that an ion-canon is more powreful.
You really believe that BS you just wrote? Man, that's messy thinking.
KirkSkywalker wrote:You're confused; you're the only one presenting that interpretation, and it's NOT what the vid shows.
It's supposed to be "funny" by saying that Star Wars is better because of "the Force."

"Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here."
ad hominem attack noted, and your inability to comprehend the simple fact that the video was a satire.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: Anyone here good with video-editing?

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:An ion-canon can disable a star-destroyer with a few shots: so if you claim that a few torpedoes can't do it, then you're claiming that an ion-canon is more powreful.
Or it can also be because HE understands that they are different types of weapons behaving differently on the target:
The ION pulse attacks electrical and electronic systems, while the Photorp simply blows things up.
One is not stopped by shields (the ION pulse, before you try and say the torpedo), and the Torpedo will be affected by the ISD's Particle shields...

And yes, the video is funny... :)

Post Reply