Rejected TNG Theme

For the linking to, discussion, and/or display of graphic art, video, music, galleries, comic strips, and other creative works.
Khas
Starship Captain

Rejected TNG Theme

Post by Khas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 pm

I wonder why it didn't make it....... *rolls eyes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIRCEKiNsKk&NR=1

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Rejected TNG Theme

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Pretty similar to the actual theme, musically speaking. Same composer? The intro is practically identical.

TBH, I don't think it's really worse as a theme. Sounds a little more triumphal, but I doubt it would have made much of a difference for the show had they gone with this one instead. Here's something neat you can do:

Rip the audio streams on the two, open up audio editing software, and synchronize the two as tracks. (The part to test to make sure you're synch'd is to get the closing "duh duh duh duh!"s lined up.) Cool beans.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 pm

While the theme isn't bad, it just doesn't bring Star Trek to mind. It feels more like Superman than ST.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:40 am

That was Dennis McCarthy's alternate, yes, and was released on the first TNG album. That was the first CD I was ever given, I do believe.

Much as I love McCarthy's music (he was a helluva lot better than Jay Chattaway during his TNG incessant-music-at-all-times period, though Ron Jones was pretty cool sometimes), they made the right choice by not going with that theme. TNG had high production values, but by not using the movie theme and using that very-TV theme they could've ended up only the merest notch above the Action Pack-y crap like Super Force.

And yes, you're right to think Superman . . . almost.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 am

Khas wrote:I wonder why it didn't make it....... *rolls eyes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIRCEKiNsKk&NR=1
It's just that gay. Too crappy to make it, taking itself too seriously to be used in Galaxy Quest.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

Actually the start of both themes are nearly identical, and are just fine. It's after that that things go crappy and New Age sounding, and I'm happy that the Jerry Goldsmith TMP theme was used instead.
-Mike